Most Important Person in Rock and Roll

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefoolish

Reaction score
Fill in the blank. _________ was the most important person / group in the evolution of the rock and roll. Why?

This may sound really stupid and I'm no music aficionado but I've often thought Hank Williams deserves a lot more credit for opening up the door for rock. He was kind of on the forefront of pushing the rebellious nature of music and the lifestyle of modern day musicians.

If you're discussing artists, I won't play,,,,it makes my head hurt and I get into arguments with myself,,,,

Alan Freed, without his promotion the music wouldn't have reached the masses as quickly as it did.

thefoolish":ak7f1kbs said:
Fill in the blank. This person was the most important person (or band) in the development of the rock and roll_______________. Why?
I'm not sure about the way this is worded...

Harlock999":wwqpw46l said:
thefoolish":wwqpw46l said:
Fill in the blank. This person was the most important person (or band) in the development of the rock and roll_______________. Why?
I'm not sure about the way this is worded...
Reworded for you. I copied it from another poster on a different forum. I think the new wording might clear it up for you.

Well, in 1965, Eric Clapton made some important decisions. Inspired by Freddie King, he purchased a used 1960 Gibson Les Paul. Driven by convenience, he acquired the combo version of Marshall's JTM-45, known under that company's confusing number system as the 1962 model, but popularly referred to as the "Bluesbreaker" amp. He liked it because it fit in the boot (trunk) of his car, but it also sounded amazing with the Les Paul. Now, we all know that the JTM-45 was an almost exact replica of Leo Fender's fabled F5A circuit used in the 1959 Bassman amp...so the answer is...I forgot, what was the question again? Oh yeah, all of the above! And any number of other chance meetings and decisions that shaped the history of rock and or roll.

This guy....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KhcSEwWHYI4" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I´m not serious about him being the most important, but he goes well for this site..... :lol!:

No Elvis, no Rock and Roll. No Colonel Tom Parker, no Elvis. Therefore, The Colonel.

I think I would have to cast my vote for the Beatles. They are not my favorite band, and you can argue if they played rock or pop (or both), and they were certainly influenced by earlier artists including Elvis. However, I think they were one of the first big commercial successes that inspired other bands to go for it, spawned the whole British invasion, that in turn spawned all of the USA bands of the '60's, and here we are!

mark":hf3lehqk said:
LL":hf3lehqk said:
No Elvis, no Rock and Roll.

And where did pelvis and the rest of them steal it from,,,,,
Doesn't matter. Elvis is the one who connected with the public in a magic way and therefore lit the fire. Had it not been for him, rock-and-roll would probably have burned out as quickly as the vast majority of other music fads have since recording was invented.

Good point LL, but I think there was enough brewing with the other American artists and the Brits to keep it going and not burn out,,,,the time had come no matter what,,,

Chuck Berry. Why? Because everybody and their mom stole from this guy and they are still stealing from the guy.

Saxophonist Louis Jordan, who laid the foundation for R&B music which later morphed into R&R. He pioneered the shuffle style and jump blues, and set the stage for everyone who followed. In fact, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame describes him as "the grandfather of Rock and Roll."

Thing is, if not Jordan, someone else. RnR music was destined to happen, and while many people influenced, it became a force unto itself that could simply not be stopped.

Hail, hail, rock and roll.

Chuck Berry. Especially if you think Elvis is key to rock and roll...because without Chuck Berry there would never have been an Elvis.