Most Over Rated Tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ajn27511":9yo05tbz said:
At $181.73 per pound the new RO Perique blends are overrated no matter how great they taste. JMHO :no:

AJ
Ouch....... That's like paying Canadian prices....

I reckon it all depends on your palette, Esoterica's Penzance and Balkan Sobranie I'll say were a big let down but, none of there other blends where that I've tried. In fact I thought them to be excellent. Although I've found MANY McClelland, GLP and C&D blends to be a waste of time and money for me. Out of the many pounds of tobacco I have there are only few that really stand out and I can always go to when I'm in the need for a exceptional smoke.
I very seldom taste what the reviewer tastes in a blend and usually when I go by their recommendations I loose money.
Every once in awhile I stumble on to something Great by going by the Manufacturers description, it hasn't failed me yet............knock on wood! ;)

Ozark Wizard":3h3vjqv9 said:
ajn27511":3h3vjqv9 said:
At $181.73 per pound the new RO Perique blends are overrated no matter how great they taste. JMHO :no:

AJ
So we're talking 50g tins here, right? 9 tins for a pound, right.
Hmmm.
Considering the RO tins are in USD, with the exchange rate, various C/C or PP fees and depending of the province into which one lives, that is still much cheaper than what we pay for 9 tins of any brand on our side of the border.
Especially if one lives in BC...then, it really huuuuurts.
So, I don't know if I should laugh, or cry, Wiz'. :scratch:

Lord Guyrox":x52i7df8 said:
Ozark Wizard":x52i7df8 said:
ajn27511":x52i7df8 said:

AJ
So we're talking 50g tins here, right? 9 tins for a pound, right.
Hmmm.
Considering the RO tins are in USD, with the exchange rate, various C/C or PP fees and depending of the province into which one lives, that is still much cheaper than what we pay for 9 tins of any brand on our side of the border.
Especially if one lives in BC...then, it really huuuuurts.
So, I don't know if I should laugh, or cry, Wiz'. :scratch:
LG you have my deepest sympathies. It might pay you to take a vacation somewhere in the lower 48 and load up on tobacco to take home with you. Of course there may be trouble at the border but I'm sure an enterprising young man might know of a back road or two. :twisted: :twisted:

AJ

Well, I do have a plan for next summer involving a scandalously big order at Pipes and Cigars; and having them deliver it at the hotel where I will be staying in the USA. :twisted: :twisted:

Mou ha ha.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Lord Guyrox":lopzz975 said:
Well, I do have a plan for next summer involving a scandalously big order at Pipes and Cigars; and having them deliver it at the hotel where I will be staying in the USA. :twisted: :twisted:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing! Now if the USD/CAD exchange rate could sort itself out a bit, I could convince the Mrs that a cross-border shopping trip is good for both of us!

I've given this thread some little consideration and really don't have a definitive answer as to the most over rated 'baccy.

I suppose like many, the hype/lack of availability on certain blends like some of the Esoterica line (Penzance and Stonehaven to name a few), plus FVF a few yrs ago might flirt with this syndrome. And I've had all the aforementioned and find them to be just fine in their own ways. Holy grail? Not for me, but there probably will never be.

At the end of the day it's all about what you like and can afford. So I don't chase anything that isn't available for reasonable prices which I can also afford and which I already enjoy. Isn't that the same way with everyone?

So I guess I don't really have an answer!

:scratch:

Cheers,

RR

People make the hype, either it be a few that from there own point of view think there great tobaccos to just the thought
of a blend not being available anymore creates hoopla. Early on I made the mistake of listening to others about how great a tobacco blend was that now I have pounds of that I hope someday will become smokable to me. Granted, we all like to advertise how much we like something and it always seems we take for granted that others will like it as much as we do, sadly it's not always the case.Nowadays I do my own research by reading what the manufacture states is in the blend and sometimes getting a small sample from a retailer or a friend to try before spending my hard earned money. Knowing what you like in a blend and what you don't like is most important.
I here a lot about Revo Plug lately, it's hard to get here and I'm not spending anything on it till I know I'll like it enough to pay
the Euro prices and at that I'll only purchase a small amount to savor from time to time. One has got to be wise when considering new blends nowadays and not to listen to others, there's no guarantee that just because they like it that you will. We may be created equally but, our taste buds are certainly different. ;)

ontariopiper":9rvszb7r said:
Lord Guyrox":9rvszb7r said:

Funny, I was thinking the same thing! Now if the USD/CAD exchange rate could sort itself out a bit, I could convince the Mrs that a cross-border shopping trip is good for both of us!
Yea, it would help making the order even bigger! I could place another scandalous order at smokingpipes or 4noggins as well.
I definitively miss 2007, when our dollar was worth 1,10 USD. Now that was cool. 8)

FVF.......I had to use fire lighters to get it burning.

I have 6 years old Penzance which is not to bad but, won't buy it again. To expensive.

SpeedyPete":ohi1bf5l said:
FVF.......I had to use fire lighters to get it burning.

I have 6 years old Penzance which is not to bad but, won't buy it again. To expensive.
I know what ya mean on both sir! ;)

Definitely the Esotericas, though I do like And So To Bed and Pembroke, but won't pay a premium for them, and won't shed a tear if I can't get them.