Motorcycle madness

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatman

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Man, I really miss owning and riding motorcycles. Today reinforced why I do not own one up here. I came into work and saw the result of a motorcycle versus moose. I think I will stick to my Jeep :face:

We have no moose to worry about here in Maryland, just cages....a 48 yr old woman was t-boned on Monday evening, no helmet (riding in PA, five miles away), DOA.

Another reason to run straight pipes IMO - make sure they hear ya comin'! :twisted: 

Slartibartfast":5jsxpgux said:
Another reason to run straight pipes IMO - make sure they hear ya comin'!   :twisted: 
I'll second the loud pipe debate. Since putting on a set of Vance & Hines Big Radius pipes 3 years ago i havn't had any "close calls" from wildlife or half blind/deaf cage drivers since. Only problem now is trying to sneek thru urban areas quietly enough to not get a noise ticket with the new laws just past 2years ago.

No moose here either, but I'll be danged if some elderly lady wouldn't pull out in front of me and kill me dead. I miss riding something fierce, but until my family just won't need me (which is most likely a long way out), I've resolved to not riding.

The thing that really bugs me about my decision not to ride is this:

I run almost every day, and it wouldn't take but a texting teen to meander off the road and flatten me. It's thoughts like that, that make me say, heck with it, just ride and pray. :D 

This used to be my bike...
2008_GSX1300R_orange_800.jpg

"Murdercycle"...as my Dad used to call them.

can't live life in a bubble and you'll wake up one day in a Nursing Home in shitty diapers watching re-runs of Oprah thinking about how you wish you would have lived life to its fullest.

hobie1dog":nffd0gw6 said:
can't live life in a bubble and you'll wake up one day in a Nursing Home in shitty diapers watching re-runs of Oprah thinking about how you wish you would have lived life to its fullest.
amen brother.

i ride a ducati 999.

doody.

Pretty much the same here....bubbles are for bubble boys, and I'm fortunate enough to not be one. Keep those eyes scanning, boyz....

Fatman":jdp8mq6x said:
Man, I really miss owning and riding motorcycles. Today reinforced why I do not own one up here. I came into work and saw the result of a motorcycle versus moose. I think I will stick to my Jeep :face:
I could do a web search and find many ugly photos of Jeep and/or car collisions with a multitude of objects.  Would seeing these horrific images make you give up driving a car?  Most likely not.  Sure, an automobile provides more protection in the event of an accident, but the risk of serious injury or death remains.  Such is life on this planet.  Any speed above a walking pace increases the chance of injury.  Sh*t happens, even to the most cautious.

I've ridden now for over 40 years.  I'm a charter life member of the American Motorcyclist Association (25 years).  I've crossed the U.S. several times without incident.  Lucky?  Perhaps.  Skilled?  Definitely.  I've survived a few spills over the years, mostly my fault, and I've avoided many scrapes by knowing what to do instinctively (counter-steering, front brake usage, etc.).  Practice, practice, practice.  Oh, and always ATGATT (All The Gear All The Time).  Will I have another accident? Unknown.  But I will use every ounce of my skill to avoid one.

If fear is keeping you from taking up riding again, you are probably wise to stay on four wheels.  Motorcycling is definitely NOT for everybody.

By the way, contrary to popular belief, loud pipes really don't save lives, they merely annoy politicians and the general public.  You will eventually install quieter mufflers on your bike, or the government will force you to do it.  Several cities and states require EPA compliant exhausts.  Here in the city of Denver, if no EPA stamping on the muffler is visible (i.e. factory exhaust) an immediate $500 fine is issued.  The police don't even have to hear it, just the stamping is required.  The law is draconian for sure, but Denver is getting much quieter as a result.

To all my fellow riders out there - Keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up.  And watch out for the other guy.  Or moose, for that matter.

Ride safe.

CACooper

Gentleman,

Financial strife once caused me to sell my last motorcycle, after having had two in the garage for nearly ten years. It would be almost five years before I was able to purchase my next motorcycle. I don't ever want to live in that hell again...

Sean

I rode from the the time I was 16 until I was 44. Upon seeing how people drive here in Washington, DC, I decided I wouldn't have a chance of survival here. I miss riding terribly, but I'm still alive.

Rode thru northern Maine at night a few years ago on the way to Nova Scotia. Won't do that again. Saw as many moose as vehicles.

Tried the loud pipe thing many years ago, bothered me more than anything, or anybody else. Besides, except in the city, 90% of the noise is behind you. Nothing worse than riding a couple thousand miles behind someone with loud pipes.

I live in a larger metro area too, I just don't ride local. Mostly long distance touring, several times a year.

riff raff":avf1fu9x said:
We have no moose to worry about here in Maryland, just cages....a 48 yr old woman was t-boned on Monday evening, no helmet (riding in PA, five miles away), DOA.  
We here in PA refer to that as the PA Organ Donor program. Don't mean to sound callous, but put a damn helmet on.

Briarbabe":syoz3ucq said:
riff raff":syoz3ucq said:
We here in PA refer to that as the PA Organ Donor program. Don't mean to sound callous, but put a damn helmet on.
What's a helmet going to do when you slam into to something going 75 miles an hour?
Oh! They'll be able to bury your head intact or pour out what's left of it.

Briarbabe":hnvqo38m said:
riff raff":hnvqo38m said:
I wear a full face helmet at all times. For my own sake and also to set a good example for my daughter who wants to ride her own motorcycle someday. I have been riding for many years and have seen enough to know that a helmet, particularly a race based full face helmet, makes a very big difference in the severity of injuries in many if not most accidents. I also believe in leather jackets with reinforcements, gloves and boots. The helmet won't do anything for your feet so leave the flip flops at home.

Sean68":z84jdeer said:
Briarbabe":z84jdeer said:
riff raff":z84jdeer said:
I wear a full face helmet at all times. For my own sake and also to set a good example for my daughter who wants to ride her own motorcycle someday. I have been riding for many years and have seen enough to know that a helmet, particularly a race based full face helmet, makes a very big difference in the severity of injuries in many if not most accidents. I also believe in leather jackets with reinforcements, gloves and boots. The helmet won't do anything for your feet so leave the flip flops at home.
Good on you Sean. Me too, I've seen quite a few accidents where a helmet was the deciding factor between life and death.

This is my current ride: A 2007 Honda Reflex with only 3800 miles on it.
I used to do the large/loud motorcycle thing, but after pulling a muscle in my lower back years ago I had to go to something lighter.  Of course the fuel economy is pretty good too.  I also like the front fairing and incredible amount of storage capacity.  I can store 2 full-face helmets (1 in the trunk & 1 under the seat) and still have room for a few grocery bags.  Not to mention the glove box and dash cubby.  8) 

reflex_right.jpg

The biggest animal threat around here are deer.  Man they are thick this year.  Other than that, drunks coming home from the bar can always make a night time cruise interesting.

Rob_In_MO":vhe5b04r said:
This is my current ride: A 2007 Honda Reflex with only 3800 miles on it.
I used to do the large/loud motorcycle thing, but after pulling a muscle in my lower back years ago I had to go to something lighter.  Of course the fuel economy is pretty good too.  I also like the front fairing and incredible amount of storage capacity.  I can store 2 full-face helmets (1 in the trunk & 1 under the seat) and still have room for a few grocery bags.  Not to mention the glove box and dash cubby.  8) 

reflex_right.jpg

The biggest animal threat around here are deer.  Man they are thick this year.  Other than that, drunks coming home from the bar can always make a night time cruise interesting.
So, after years of living in Europe I find scooters to be one of the most practical forms of transportation and downright fun, too. You should see them dominating traffic in rush hour traffic in old French and Spanish cities! If I lived in a city I would ride one for sure.

And I agree that the most challenging riding is on Friday and Saturday nights when the drunks are out. When I buy my daughter her first motorcycle it will be in the garage during those hours.