Mouthpiece murderer?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojtekpastuch

Reaction score
I remember a bunch of Dunhills being sold that had the exact same thing done to them. Weird.

Yeah, I remember them too, the photos and descriptions were the same so I guess they were from the same estate. Poor pipes... :cry:

Typically someone files the bit to make it more comfortable in their mouth. Could be an indication of a dental problem or just a comfort issue. Think Charatan Double Comfort bit; not really comfortable at all to some!! FTRPLT

I know what you mean, but in that case the mouthpiece would be filed to make the bit thinner, not less wide...

This reminds me of a very wealthy collector in Italy who bought hundreds of high
grades and had the stems replaced with amber stems......he had a fellow on retainer
to modify the Barbis and Eltangs ect.This man had the money to do as he pleased.
Well when he died his collection hit the estate market and confused the hell out of many people.Here was an Eltang pipe with a stem that didn't make sense,it must be a counterfeit.Here was a Barbi that couldn't really be a Barbi,and so on. :shock:

Winslow :sunny:

Every time I see these come up on ebay that stem filing drives me crazy. I hope, at lease for the former "enjoyer" of this collection, there were comfortable. Seems drastic to me though.

I'd love to know the story behind it.

Lou, NY

Rad Davis":b6x59hbp said:
That's nothing compared with what I've seen some guys do to fly rod grips. It may drive everybody else nuts, but it's hard to argue with somebody modifying his own stuff. The guy figures what good is it to me if it's not comfortable?

Jack

I am waiting for the Polish jokes. :twisted:

I am waiting for the Polish jokes.
I didn't get it... :) I mean really, I don't know what a "Polish joke" means in English so I can't help you even though I'm Polish :D
I agree that everyone can modify their stuff the way the like, but it still hurts me to see these pipes mutilated like that... :cry: Is there a dentist among us who could explain what kind of teeth problem that guy could have had? ;)

wojtekpastuch":ojl3m0b6 said:
I am waiting for the Polish jokes.
I didn't get it... :) I mean really, I don't know what a "Polish joke" means in English so I can't help you even though I'm Polish :D
I agree that everyone can modify their stuff the way the like, but it still hurts me to see these pipes mutilated like that... :cry: Is there a dentist among us who could explain what kind of teeth problem that guy could have had? ;)
Well, yes, the stems are mutilated. But it will perhaps take enough value off the pipes so that the stems can be replaced or spliced and still be a bargain. If they lose the value of having original stems they're no worse off than many pipes that get chewed or broken. They may wind up being better pipes in the end.

Jack

I will ask my neighbor who is Polish to translate something that will explain what I meant. :) I'll post it later.It is like an American idiom.

Danish_Pipe_Guy":86a315io said:
Rad Davis":86a315io said:

That somofabitch looks more like an Electrolux than it does a Dunhill now! :lol:
Part of the description included:

I am selling his excellent collection of pipes from many prestigious pipe makers from Dunhill