Moving away from aromatics

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumball

Reaction score
I am a newbie pipe smoker and have been smoking only aromatics so far.

What can you recommend for me to try next to widen my appreciation of what pipe smoking has to offer?

There's a good deal of English blenders you'll have a greater access to than we over here across the pond, namely Samuel Gawith and Gawith Hoggarth & Co. and with those two brands they usually sell like hotcakes. So give them a whirl, but take note they are lakelands and can be very hit or miss to your palate. I also have chit-chatted with some other European pipers and they quite enjoy St. Bruno's Flake, DubintheDam in particular is a big fan of it. Then there is Cornell & Diehl, one of the largest (if not THE largest) US producer. They make an array of awesome tobacco to fit any taste and are even so kind and willing as to accept custom ordered blends. You really cannot go wrong with SG, G&H, or C&D all in all, but if I had to be nit-picky I'd say the C&D flakes are cut a bit chunky for my liking, flakes from the UK and Europe tend to be a bit thinner and more to my liking, but hey, it tastes the same either way. Let's not forget Peter Stokkebye produces wonderful bulk tobaccos that ca be had for cheaper than tinned tobaccos out there, so be sure to give them a peek as well. As for Mac Baren I'm always a bit hesitant to suggest hem to anyone simply because it seems a good handful of they're smokers get plagued with tongue bite, I have my theories on this but I'll reserve that for another thread or post herein. When it all boils down to it just keep your mind and eyes open, be willing to try other things and step outside of the box and before you know it you'll find some tobacco you'll be in love with!

I suspect you will get a load of good advice soon (in fact, you already have). The selection these days is really quite something and with many of the blenders it's harder to go wrong than right. For me, the bridge became Rattray's Red Rapparee. So whenever someone puts me to the question Rapparee will be the answer. Then again, McClelland has a wide selection of sweeter Englishes such as the Three Oaks and Legends that might well appeal to you if you are careful abouts licking old leather soles just jet ;)

I would start with at least one new pipe (a cob will do) because all your others are going to taste like the crap stuff you've been smoking in them.

:face:

Here are my humble suggestions:
Orlik Golden Sliced
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Blended Plug
MacBaren Symphony (Harmony)
Reiner Long Golden Flake
Rattray Old Gowrie

Glen

Yak":12n4779m said:
I would start with at least one new pipe (a cob will do) because all your others are going to taste like the crap stuff you've been smoking in them.

:face:
This man speaketh the truth. Get a few pipes if possible (corncobs are perfect for this) and then try everything you can get your hands on. Really it's the only way to be sure! :lol:

If you find something you really like, buy a little more of it & then search out similar blends to try.

And any time someone offers to send you some samples, take them up on it. You never know what you might get a chance to try. ;)

Sure, some of it might be aboslutely foul. But some of it will most likely be wonderfully delicous. There really is no way to predict whether you will be one who loves latakia or have a preference for virginia/perique blends or be a burley fan or none of the above, so your best bet is to try any and everything...it's what I do :D

Before long, you will have no money...but enough pipes and tobacco to both console yourself for your poor financial state and keep yourself entertained for years.

I'm still a newer pipe smoker. The first blends that really sang to me were:

Robert McConnell Scottish Cake
McClelland Three Oaks Syrian
Rattray's Hal O' The Wynd
Cornell & Diehl Old Joe Krantz

and that is still my list of favorites.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try out a few of these and see if I find anything I like :D