My 1st ever pipe (pipes 2 & 3 too)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PozzSka

Reaction score
Being inspired by some of the craftsman and craftswomen on this site and others...I figured I'd give making a pipe a whirl...

It's not perfect, the stem/stummel joint is not perfect, it's not perfectly symmetrical (i don't have a lathe), the stem could be buffed and polished a bit more, but the draw is great, the finish isn't too shabby and it should smoke well...

My stubby billiard, made from a Tim West pipe kit...

Looks a lot better than my first pipe, Nathan.

Pipe making is all about perseverance. Simply you exerting your will over the wood, bending it to your vision. Good job on #1.

Ocelot55":v7tiil7n said:
Looks a lot better than my first pipe, Nathan.

Pipe making is all about perseverance. Simply you exerting your will over the wood, bending it to your vision. Good job on #1.  
Thanks, brother.

I have a few more on the workbench from other kits (time west, pimo), hopefully I'll have a couple of them done today actually (just need finished). We'll see...

Nice work Nathan. I am just starting my first pipe, hopefully it turns out as well as yours did!

You did a fantastic job of that baby right there, a very nice looking pipe and the fact that it will smoke well is just the cherry on the cake, you should feel good about this one, very well done indeed, bravo. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

A very smokable briar with a good sized bowl and nice draw -- a fine first effort, sir!

Me, I'm not allowed to play with tools. I'm more the Ed Burak type anyway, I can design, measure, pick the materials and colors, but require an artisan to bring it all to life.

Nothing wrong with that pipe Pozz, nice thick walls, you done good, how does it smoke.

I really like that pipe ... looks as if it could be a good smoker ...

Here's pipe number 2:

Stem/stummel joint is still garbage. The shine is nice and the draw is nice. Some nice Birdseye on the flat side. Not sure why a weird blowfish was my choice for the second pipe , but that's what the block looked like when I started sanding.

Pipe 3 is done too. I'll post the pics in the next post.

Here's pipe 3:

The best shape wise I feel, but as you can see in pic 2 there's a big nasty soft vein running through it. So I tried my hand at rustication, which I think turned out ok. Bummer...I'll still try to smoke it. EDIT: I bent the stem slightly after this pic was taken, it looks better that way.

So there you go. Pipes 1, 2, and 3.

Maybe something gone wrong with my browser but I can't see the images in your last two posts Buddy.

For a first effort that's a very nice chubby. I'm moving in the direction such that my affections can respond both to those glittering artisan pipes and those which, more homely, promise an immediate, comforting smoke.

Agh the pics aren't working....posted from mobile and the upload didn't work right apparently. I'll fix them later today when I'm on a real computer.

PozzSka":prc7qdlp said:
Here's pipe number 2:
Xhym1ihOagDf84PqUDZI_qMZdtWvkffY5yRLjPN4-Ts

82r59wjaKHkMuL0jStsfoxiYFAoWg9owq_QPfXt8zbE

-iPjjVDKXTG86gbw3a7bznoMxp1wwriqQYwdh4tfedg

6oCZe2FC3ZZX1z-kjHcRGUb6R9J3SQFiM9HXlyOa4E0

Stem/stummel joint is still garbage. The shine is nice and the draw is nice. Some nice Birdseye on the flat side. Not sure why a weird blowfish was my choice for the second pipe , but that's what the block looked like when I started sanding.

Pipe 3 is done too. I'll post the pics in the next post.

Nice square block to begin with. Does the red X mark where the drilling will be.:lol: 

Cool! Just be careful: if the bug bite, it bites deep!:lol: