My 3rd

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotties22

Reaction score
Here is my third pipe. I drilled it by hand a while back and put it on the shelf. I found it a few weeks ago and since it was ready to go decided to finish it. It is 6 1/2 long, the bowl height is 2 inches and the bowl chamber is .875 inches.

dscn2419.jpg

dscn2420.jpg

dscn2422.jpg

dscn2423.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Scottie

Nicely done Scottie. I like the color choice. The grain is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

I like it!

Since you don't mind honesty, next attempt, round off those corners on the shank where it meets bowl, or just leave the shank square with the stem being shaped to fit as a square, too (that then transitions to a round bit about halfway up the stem). The shape transition as it stands looks a little awkward from round, square, round.

The bowl is beautiful, and the stem is wonderful. Where the stem does meet the shank, it looks crafted smoothly.

Swell job. 8) Is your husband gonna smoke it or someone else?

Unlike Kyle, I think the transition is very attractive. Quite unique!!

Not bad at all. I like the forward-jutting "lip" on the crown. It's a pouting pipe! :D

EC Outlaw":uha9q3z1 said:
Unlike Kyle, I think the transition is very attractive. Quite unique!!
The only reason why I pointed it out is I have two pipes wherein I left the "rough square" cut more than I would have liked, because it's a tough m'effer of an area to work down. I was only using hand tools--nothing motorized. So, ruin my hand for the day or just say piss on it. :lol:

Since I know she's worth her salt as a carver and has access to tools--just a notation... :p 8)

I actually made it for my mom. She should be smoking it by weeks end... As for the squareness of the shank, it goes back to my lack of design. I liked the way it looked with the rest of the pipe so I left it that way. Again, I have learned my lesson about the cohesiveness (BIG BIG word as I am a blonde and I probably still spelled it wrong) of the design and taking the details into consideration.

Nice! The shank to bowl transition is different,but I like it!

scotties22":o97td0uj said:
I actually made it for my mom. She should be smoking it by weeks end... As for the squareness of the shank, it goes back to my lack of design. I liked the way it looked with the rest of the pipe so I left it that way. Again, I have learned my lesson about the cohesiveness (BIG BIG word as I am a blonde and I probably still spelled it wrong) of the design and taking the details into consideration.
Nope, spelled it right! :cheers: I'm a word-nerd. :D

It's a minor consideration, but I'm actually more impressed your mom's gonna get it and use it! Nothing like giving something to mom she'll like!

8)

She is chomping at the bit. Calling me all the time nagging. Not really, but she is excited. I bought some whole leaf tobacco and made my own pipe blend. I am going to send her some of that as well. My uncle I sent the Relic to loves it.

scotties22":4xm8gkgz said:
She is chomping at the bit. Calling me all the time nagging. Not really, but she is excited. I bought some whole leaf tobacco and made my own pipe blend. I am going to send her some of that as well. My uncle I sent the Relic to loves it.
That's amazing. Good on you guys. A piping family! What's mom's normal blend of choice, out of curiosity?

8)

scotties22":ine4hmii said:
What was your blend?

:study: Her normal blend ,hhhmmmm...whatever she can get her hands on. :lol!: I think she likes aromatics. I'll have to ask.

I got my tobacco from leafonly.com

1 large dark smoke cured fronto leaf
1 light air cured fronto leaf
1 large handful flue cured Virginia scrap
1 medium handful deer tongue

Cut the fronto leaves into thin strips about 1/4 x 2 long. Cut the virgins and deer tongue smaller. Cook in oven at 220F for one hour. Hit it with 2-3 tbsp of vanilla extract. Stir, let cool. Place in a mason jar and let it age for about a month.

They said it is a mild, sweet smoke with a good amount of vanilla flavor.

I channeled my inner Paula Dean to write the recipe... :D

Well I didn't figure you boys would want to greaze up your pipes so I left the butter out.