My AeroBilliard

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alfredo_buscatti

Reaction score
Just received it today, and upon examination I could tell it was well-made. I smoked it and it performed very well. Sipping is effortless with only the slightest draw. More flavor, as promised, or at least I think so.

It's remarkable that when you slow down you can always slow down more. I'm probably ~20-30% slower than I used to be. I've gotten used to to sipping, so I don't have to think about it that much. My mouth likes sipping a lot more! But taste has taken a big hit. I can still taste with sips but the amount of flavor is akin to the percentage, above, as compared to before. I thought that was due to a certain volume of smoke giving me the flavor to which I was accustomed, but even when I puff it up at intervals, though I taste more, I don't get the same flavor. Perhaps the taste receptors fire in the way that I was accustomed only after being hit by a certain quantity of smoke from repeated deep draws. I would be grateful if anyone who could respond to this issue.

The pipe came with a large, quality piece of buffing cloth along with what looks to be a tamper but is really a holding device to which the cleaning rag can attach to swab out the inverted chamber. The pipe looks to be drilled appreciably larger. On the whole it looks like a lot of thought went into the design of the draft.

I'm very happy with it and if it continues to smoke so well I might just add a dozen or so to my rack. Now that I've laid in the tobacco I can buy pipes:).

I am very intrigued by the pipes, but I'm not into nose warmers and decided to pass. But I will give it a try if they ever decide to make standard sized pipes.

Thinking about the shank's chamber, I think it holds the approximate volume of one puff. That means that the smoke actually rests in the chamber in between puffs, allowing it to cool and dry a bit. At least in theory. Of course that, after the debacle of the other gimmicky endeavors from Radice (oil curing and twin bore), I approach these things with some skepticism. Nonetheless, I'm interested in your experience and opinion, Alfredo.

Yes, post up a few pics alfredo! Also, I'm just curious what type blend you decided to smoke in your AeroBilliard? I went with Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd in mine, and I am pleased with the results.

I, of course, smoked Dark Flake:).

On reflection I'm wondering if I need to retrain my palate to expect less flavor. It now expects more; why can't it be satisfied with less?

Alfredo, maybe you should try a completely different blend for a couple days, maybe a mild burley or something new to you with a lower flavor level than what you usually smoke. This works for me when the taste of my usual blends seems off.

Alfredo, pics please! :lol:
The aerobilliards can provide a slow smoke and dont require so much relights so you can enjoy a smoke and take some nice pictures of her at same time. :twisted:

The pipe clenches effortlessly.
With the bit in the teeth it reminds me of lovats with a 3/4" stem. The end of the stem butts against the lips, which is fine by me.
The inside of the condensation chamber is lined with some black thing, maybe plastic but the far wall is unfinished wood.
Size is a large group 4.
Apparently the stem is vulcanite or ebonite. The softness feels wonderful in the teeth, and as the pipe invites clenching, that's a good thing.
Most importantly this is the coolest smoking pipe I have. Significant heat reduction.

Cleanup - The pipe comes with detailed instructions. 4 steps. Standard cleaner. Wipe off the inside of the stem, which is very chamfered and accumulates the most pipe gunk. Fit a napkin into the slot of the cleaning tool and clean all the way down to the outside of the bowl. Corkscrew the napkin all the way down. Not difficult or time-consuming. Given what I've heard of Peterson's with vile liquid in the collection chamber, I thought the AeroBilliard would be the same. No, just wipe the walls.

My second smoke was 3 month old Cumberland. I haven't smoked fresh in 10 years. When I tried it fresh at that time I liked it a great deal, and liking it, and trying some in the interval, I cellared about 7 pounds. Then I got into HOs and more or less forgot about it, even when it had 5 years. The upshot was that last spring when I was selling all my pipe stuff I had 7 pounds with 7 years of my most prized tobacco. Very funny, I know;).

Other than liking it enough to designate it my premier tobacco, I remember that the KY dominated the blend. This is a mahogany KY (color) from a bale that C&D and Pease bought that already had 20 years. But even so its taste was piquant and astringent. It was an acquired taste which is absent from this tin. I guess that's the age on that bale. I find I like this fresh version as the KY behaves. I would say that the perique provides an intense spiciness except for my take that it's over the top and even 40% in Cool Hand Fluke lack this; maybe the KY?

No takers on on my request for getting taste from sipping?

Sounds like you hate the pipe. Friend that I am, I'll take it off yer hands fer fifty bucks :)

The FNN pictures may take some time. I have a shitty cell phone, and it probably takes shitty pictures. Nonetheless, being picture-poor and being taken to task, I did investigate the menus and got about half way toward what I think would lead me to success. That took about an hour. I've never taken a cell picture as I only recently got a cell; it was a gift. That should tell you something about my techno-heft. When I still had several steps to go and I'd spent that hour in vain, I said F-it.

Now if one of you techno-picture-overweenies want to give me a blow by blow, I might attempt to join you in the techno-picture-overweenie world to which you so obviously belong:).

PD, I was excited to see that the black finish on the ABill. was only 193 Euro. Add shipping, billed at 12 Euro, I thought I'd get out of the purchase for around $225.00. No!!!!!! $275.00. So your kind offer falls a little short. And yes, I adore the pipe! Worth every Euro. I mean it, if the pipe keeps performing so sweetly, I mean to get another 10 and skip the $50.00 ebay bargains that I intended to buy.

Just post the effing picture. :lol: :cheers: Taping it to the screen doesn't count.

Kyle Weiss":parjq9zi said:
Just post the effing picture. :lol: :cheers: Taping it to the screen doesn't count.
+1

funny-pictures-snickers-tech-support-1fG.jpg

I am not a fan of system pipes, in general, have thought they always create a mess where there would otherwise be none. I saw these, and upon reading several comments, thought I might like one. Your comments about muting flavors has me rethinking that though. Still on the fence on these.

Kyle Weiss":px5ki8x8 said:
If you spend all your money on pipes and tobacco, and can't afford a decent camera.....

You might be a pipe collector! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Smoker99":1vx2my77 said:
I am not a fan of system pipes, in general, have thought they always create a mess where there would otherwise be none. I saw these, and upon reading several comments, thought I might like one. Your comments about muting flavors has me rethinking that though. Still on the fence on these.
I may be wrong but I think he was talking about the difference in taste he gets from smoking slower in general. He has mentioned this before. Alfredo apparently used to be a fast smoker. Now he sips....

Kyle it isn't nice to make fun of the technology challenged. He's getting much better. He can operate his electric razor 9 out of 10 time now. The TV channel changing chimp has been a godsend too.