My AeroBilliard

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot:

Getting two or three tobacco crumbs inside the inversion chamber.
The synthetic coating inside the shank perhaps guards the briar, perhaps lessens the weight. I'd like to know how much weight it saves, and if not much, would prefer bare wood. Just me.

Alfredo,

The coating is interesting. I don't know about the weight thought. It seems intended to isolate the "gunk" from the wood. The reverse Calabash concept seems new. I imagine it will evolve.

The closest thing I have are some cheap plateau pipes I got years ago from Iwan Ries. It isn't a real reverse Calabash based on the current design. But, it has a gap area between tenon and mortice of maybe 1.5" x 3/8" overall. It too collects gunk. Running a twist of paper towel return some black, nasty scum. But it hasn't tainted the taste or change the noticed weight. Frankly, things to me taste about the same as any other pipe. Its probably better as a filter alternative as it does collect materials before our intake. That seems beneficial. Based on what I've seen with the pipe mentioned, it seems something that could be done with a lot of pipes in a demi-version by drilling out a simple gap.

I wonder if the AB design will spawn a revolution in pipes? Definitely cooler, perhaps more flavorful-why wouldn't it? The most visible tradeoff is the design of the shank. I can't think of any other. Is the AB design patented?

Isn't the AB approach just one solution? There are a number of varied designs. The AB seems the first/only/few approach with a straight pipe that I have seen.

I think Reverse Calabash name is a drawback or confusing. Maybe something like mixing chamber would work or something similar.

These are all empirical approaches that may or may not be a best solution. Seems it would benefit from a more scientific approach. Maybe there is an aeronautical engineer that is also a pipe smoker that will take a look.

At the far end of all this, one of us could take an existing pipe with a fairly thick stem and create a longer, narrow chamber going much closer to the drought hole. Would that work? I have no idea. But, it would make an interesting experiment by someone with the capacity to drill out a straight chamber at tenon size.

As I said this is a well-made pipe. However, much as I love the softness of the stem, there has been significant degradation. Toothmarks where there shouldn't be any after only four smokes. I noticed the majority of the wear after two smokes, but it has degraded more. There's no reason for that kind of wear, be the stem vulcanite or acrylic. But it's a hefty stem and at this point I don't foresee any performance problems; I do think that in time however it will be gnarly as a cob stem. $255.00 for that? I don't think so. I'm going to write Luca and see what he says.

The way I see it the major engineering problem with stuffing dried plant matter into a piece of wood and setting it on fire is the fact that water is an unavoidable product of combustion and, if allowed to condense, creates an annoying gurgle with periodic migration of bitter tasting water up the stem.

There are two major schools of thought on how to solve this problem: keep the smoking flowing rapidly and in a laminar fashion so as to avoid condensation or condense as much water out of the smoke as possible before reaching the smoker.

Each of these approaches, when executed correctly, can solve this problem.

And I'm sure we could argue ad nauseum as to which one works better... :lol:

Todd

taharris":7a6va1uq said:
And I'm sure we could argue ad nauseum as to which one works better... :lol:

Todd
You mean that isn't why we are here? :twisted:

alfredo_buscatti":nz1zra4l said:
However, much as I love the softness of the stem, there has been significant degradation.
Lowering my offer to $35.

taharris":xopfamnk said:
There are two major schools of thought on how to solve this problem: keep the smoking flowing rapidly and in a laminar fashion so as to avoid condensation or condense as much water out of the smoke as possible before reaching the smoker.
Insightful comment. I tried both and both work equally well when done properly. The major difference is that the latter approach is much messier and requires considerably more cleaning and maintenance.

Todd, there are a couple of other approaches that do not involve pipe engineering: the one that tries to solve the problem with packing technique, and the one that does it by drying the tobacco. I say they all work well if done right, at least to some degree. Perhaps the best is to use a combination of all. The only one that seems flawed to me is drying the tobacco, which results in loss of flavor, especially of sweetness, therefore resulting in an inferior experience. YMMV...

The reality is that all of these variables (and many more like smoking cadence, briar quality, ambient temperature and humidity, smoking inside or outside, etc.) come in to play which makes the smoking experience different for each individual. And I agree that drying tobacco too much is counterproductive, especially since you will get moisture in the smoke no matter how dry the tobacco is because moisture is a product of combustion.

Ultimately, each individual must figure out what works best for him (or her). I guess that's what makes pipe smoking a hobby instead of just a nasty habit. :D

Todd

I have one that I discussed with Luca and is made of Morta. I don't find the stem to be soft but it is really comfortable and the pipe hangs well and being I'm a hanger that suits me just fine. My pipe is all wood except for a Delrin ring where the stem mounts and it smokes extremely well and sipping brings out the flavors extremely well also, perhaps you need to cleanse your palate prior to smoking like with a glass of tonic water, ice tea or lemonade, these will help.

8737732679_03c61123d4_b.jpg

I was SUPER excited to get my Aero Billiard.

One of our pipe club guys, Ethan Brandt, has been big on reverse calabash pipes for a couple of years now. He writes the Pipe School blog (Google it up for a GREAT reverse calabash article).

So when I saw that Radice was getting into the fray--at a reasonable price no less--I couldn't resist. When I went to sell pipes at the Chicago show this year I (sadly) accidentally left all of my own smoking pipes at home. What better place to replenish?!?

So I knew that Chicago was going to be my chance to get exactly what I wanted, assuming they brought enough to satisfy the demand. And they did not disappoint!

Originally I had it in my head to get a black Silk Cut. I've really liked my other Radice pipes in this finish. However, I also recently got a Castello GG Natural Vergin 67. The Natural Vergin finish is an unstained Sea Rock. The shape is kind of like if you took a HUGE 55 and mated it with a Square-shanked Billiard. That pipe is an amazing smoker and I really like watching it color over time.

So when I saw this Aero beauty (they call it the "Pure" finish) in the Radice room on Friday night, there was really no contest. Sure, part of it was because they didn't have any black Silk Cuts on display, but I also noticed that they coated their chambers on all the silk cuts. Also, if they would have been displaying the Morta Aero, this may have been a different story. But they weren't. This one caught my eye because of the finish, combined with the smooth rim. My best flake pipe is a BIG Radice Twin Bore Clear Billiard with a spiral shank, so I figure Radice wood must be doing something right and that I would also be smoking flakes in this one too. I smoke VA flakes at least 50% of the time, so I have several pipes thusly dedicated.

I've smoked this Aero Billiard half a dozen times since Chicago, and it's really good. It hasn't hit its peak for me, yet. It took my other Radice a year or so. The Aero is smoking much better for me out of the gate than the Octagon Prince Ligne Bretagne I also bought new at Chicago. It is DRY as a bone and I am getting some good flavors. It is especially good for sipping, as others have said.

alfredo_buscatti":rojggvvp said:
probably ~20-30% slower than I used to be

Seem the word all around; although the ladies remain remarkably silent in the matter. :albino:

OK, do you think that all those traditional and modern shapes will need to get out of the way for a revolution. How incremental do you see it after having it around a bit? Would your normal rotation move to all A-B if they were already available on your rack?

alfredo_buscatti":229ew5nq said:
I love mine, but as I've written the stem has shown wear far too fast. Hope you enjoy yours!
Do your teeth resemble the chompers on your avatar? :rabbit:
Just kidding...

Those teeth: even my fellow beavers are embarrassed for me;).
My rotation: I think the stem issue will be resolved, and being so, yes, I have thought about getting all RC designed pipes. Having sold my 70 pipes last year, I am going to replace them. $275.00 X 10 or X 50 is steep, but not out of sight. If they deliver more flavor, I've not tasted it. But the smoke is ~50% cooler.

Alfredo,

A maker from California registered here yesterday. I took a look at his site, MorganPipes, and he makes RCs in a variety of shapes. He showed a gorgeous wasp that was RC. Not sure how much you dig bents.

Resolution of the stem wear issue. Letter to Luca sent just now:

Hi Luca,

I've decided to go with the stem as is and not send it to Mr. Klein for his appraisal. In three places there is wear that goes beyond the surface, but it is not deep. Two other places have wear but do not go beyond the surface. It is the latter type of wear that I am used to seeing on lucite stems. Usually, again, the wear on my lucite stems is two tooth marks, and they do worsen with more smoking, but lucite being as hard as it is, my usual wear on these stems is relatively minimal.

On further inspection I'm ready to say the stem is lucite.

In general I think that because this was my first reverse calabash I had more anxiety about the pipe. I'm wondering if the way I clenched this short stem, both by the front of my teeth and by my middle teeth, as I usually do, but not having as much room to do so, my lips abutting the flare of the stem as it prepares to join the secondary chamber, pushing against that flare, my middle teeth may have slid up and down the stem to a certain extent and thus caused the extra wear. I can comfortably clench it otherwise, and I plan to do so the future.

So I'm good with the stem as is and appreciate your consideration in this matter.

Best, Mike Smith