My daughter is finally heading to S. Africa...VIDEO ADDED

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozjo33

Reaction score
Update to original thread: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t29778-one-heart-source-my-daughter-is-going-to-south-africa

Yesterday was a crazy day to say the least.  My youngest daughter (Alycia) has finally left for her volunteer trip  (see above link for details) to South Africa...sort of.

It it was an early morning flight from Pittsburgh to JFK for a connecting flight to SA.  Pittsburgh Intl Airport is not a big or busy airport, but I completely underestimated Saturday mornings.  Thinking I knew better, we didn't get to the airport in enough time and she missed her flight. Luckily she made another flight to La Guardia with a plan to jump in a cab to JFK to make her flight. As life dictates, her flight got diverted to Syracuse because of weather.  Long story short - my wife worked the phones and internet like a crazed fiend and was able to get the entire itinerary changed - so Alycia is sitting in a hotel at La Guardia waiting in for her 11 pm flight to SA.  Nothing like a little challenge to make you a little stronger!

Thank you to all of you who helped Alycia make her dreams come true. She was able to raise enough to money to pay for all of her travel (except for yesterday's gaff which I'm paying for being stupid  :geek: :joker:  :scratch: ).  She paid for the rest of the trip herself by working and saving.

Alycia is truly a special person with one of the biggest and most loving hearts of anyone I have ever known. To say we are proud is an understatement!  We will miss her but I know this experience will make her a stronger and better person. I will be updating this thread with pictures.

Thank you and all the best!

Mo

If your anything like me It'll be harder for you then her. I wish her gods speed and that the rest of her journey will be uneventful and she finds it an exciting and learning experience to remember. ;)

Awesome news Mo! To be able to take a trip like this at such a young age, will definitely have an affect on how Alycia continues to grow. I know you and her mom are very proud about now! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Kudos to your Alycia for following her calling and vision Mo. She clearly has her work cut out, but if her drive and passion can sustain her - along with some good juju - then she'll be OK.

I look forward to regular updates on her progress. You and your missus most certainly have been a positive influence on her!

8) 

Cheers,

RR

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone. She is finally through security at JFK. She is leaving for Dubai at 11 pm, then on to Capetown.

Your right Ron...this is going to be a long month.

I should have her pick up a pipe for me Charl! Love your carvings!

Thanks again everyone! It means a lot.

My daughter is safely back from her volunteer trip to South Africa. To say she had an incredible experience is an understatement. She is already planning a trip to an animal refuge in Costa Rica next summer. She is trying to kill me! :D

I meant to post a photo diary while she was in South Africa, but WiFi was not very reliable. Just being in contact with her was cumbersome at times.

I have embedded a video made by one of friends. South Africa seems to be a BEAUTIFUL country. You can see Alycia (wearing a green jacket) at the 1:07 mark.

Thank you again to all of you who helped her get to South Africa!!!

Here is a link to video. I can't embed it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxSlt9HLzV9yMVEyMk54NGsycGM/view?pli=1

PS: I'm moving to DC in a couple of weeks! Hope to see some you there. All the best!!

Awesome news Mo! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I really don't know why some guys ride motorcycles or skydive, when they could just have a couple daughters. :lol:

Thanks Dutch!

Odd you would say that - she went skydiving while there, a safari...and diving with the sharks. She also visited Robin Island and Nelson Mandela's jail cell, District 6, a beach with penguins. They had planned excursions for the volunteers over the weekends.

She learned a lot while there. They were really allowed to take many pictures of their students. She also made friends from all over the world - literally.

I forgot to add - she brought me home a pipe she bought at a bazaar. The guy claimed he carved it himself and it was safe to smoke. I tried to convince her to buy me one of Charl's pipes since he was in the area. :cheers:

Thanks for the update Mo. The video was great. Seems like I remember seeing a pipe similar to yours somewhere recently and thought it would be fun to smoke. Let us know what you think of it after you've run a few bowls through it. :)

AJ

WOW, this is exciting stuff indeed, Alycia is so very brave and clearly a goodly soul, best wishes to her and kudos to you my friend for being so supportive in her endeavours. :)

Only got a chance to look at the vid now, Mo. Was the school she did the work in in Houtbay?
Those African pipes are all over the markets here. It is made from African Blackwood normally and you should be able to smoke it if you'd really want to. I would just keep it as is though, as a souvenir.

CharlG":8cgnrgu0 said:
Only got a chance to look at the vid now, Mo. Was the school she did the work in in Houtbay?
Those African pipes are all over the markets here. It is made from African Blackwood normally and you should be able to smoke it if you'd really want to. I would just keep it as is though, as a souvenir.
Good morning Charl! It was in Houtbay. She absolutely LOVED South Africa. She said it was truly beautiful. I planned on just keeping it just as a souvenir.