My Estae pipe tastes like perfume! Help,, please,,,

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DustyRoundup

Reaction score
Hey all,

I bought my Pete 307 from the UK, off the bay .
and I just decided , 2 days ago, to smoke it, but its yukky !!!
And I cleaned it, with alcohol, twice.
I even put a dremel stone bit in my drill press and bored out the cake, that was way too thick I am sure. During boring it out, I was careful to not touch wood, but its right there.
I think its the stem though, that tastes like perfume, and I used needle files to clean it out twice, along with alcohol scrubs afterwards.

But, man ! it tastes terrible, like perfume, (I dont know what the feller was smoking , but I cant imagine liking anything like it)

I did smoke 4 bowls between the stem cleanings, since yesterday, as the bowl is coming along fine.

should I just keep smoking ?
Is it something that will never go away?
should I even run a pipe cleaner through it ? or just let it build up a layer?
Or, should I boil the stem?

IDK? any ideas would be of a great help.
I'm starting to like the size of this pipe, so I really want to get that funky taste out.

Perfume? Man I wish I had a bit of insight here, but ... perfume? wow.

I'd first try a prodigious reaming, a salt treatment, and a lot of pipe cleaners and alcohol for the stem. Then smoke some sacrifical bowls -- Try Irish Flake, which is on your list. I wouldn't boil the stem, but I'm sure you'll get a lot of refurbishing advice here if the first go around doesn't do the trick.

Is there a thread linked to this salt/alcohol treatment (...or I think I read the "cottonball treatment?")...?

Or just describe it really quickly?

I know there's a dozen, if not more, tricks to "descent" a pipe if there's been some weird funk someone smoked in it (I've had a few that smell like old lady purfume, too, but they fixed themselves with a good de-caking and smoking)...

...thanks in advance... 8)

Perhaps they were smoking Lakelands in it. The pipe I use for Coniston Cut Plug has that perfumy ghost to it. It takes a looong time to go away on it's own, that's why I just have one pipe I dedicate to it. If alcohol hasn't gotten it out by now you might consider sending it off for a professional delousing.

MisterE":fglsedqm said:
Perhaps they were smoking Lakelands in it. The pipe I use for Coniston Cut Plug has that perfumy ghost to it. It takes a looong time to go away on it's own, that's why I just have one pipe I dedicate to it. If alcohol hasn't gotten it out by now you might consider sending it off for a professional delousing.
I'd guess this is the culprit.

Is the stem vulcanite?

Try bleaching it. You'll have to do some work after the bleaching is done (smoothing and polishing out the rough patches), but it will most likely fix the issue. That's my advice anyway.

If you are unaware what to do when bleaching, simply soak the stem overnight in bleach. If there are markings on the stem (manufacturer stamps) that you want to keep, put a slightly thick coating of petroleum jelly over them.

ya I second the lakelands , I just recently got some condor and st bruno and they will ghost a pipe bad , lovely baccy just a lot different than the north american staple blends

oh I forgot to add you might want to get a pipe retort kit from ebay or make one yourself , they do a great job of cleaning out a pipe quick and easy

1. Get a Senior reamer and get as much of the old carbon cake out of the bowl as possible.
2. Salt/Alcohol treatment over night two times. Swab the inside of the shank with isopropol alcohol and sweeten by swabbing with rum or brandy after the isopropol alcohol has had an opportunity to evaporate.
3. Isopropol alcohol swab the inside and outside of the stem and wash with warm water.

By this time you should have a "new bowl" interior and the ghost should be gone. Enjoy your pipe.