My Ever Changing Moods / Seeking Latakia Blend Suggestions

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-R.

Reaction score
(With apologies to Mr. Weller.)

Sometime last winter I wrote that I no longer liked latakia, that any blend I smoked with it just did not do a thing for me.

Tonight, for dinner, I'll be having a dish of Corvus brachyrhynchos.

In other words, I love latakia again. So much so that it seems to be the only thing I'm interested in smoking anymore.

However, I need some recommendation on lat-blends to try out. What I have right now is:

Stokkebye English Luxury -- Nice, but not especially impressive. Seems a bit on the sweet side, which maybe the black cavendish, yeah?

Balkan II -- I'm assuming this is Altadis' Balkan II. I picked it up from the local B&M as one of their bulk blends, but I'm pretty sure it's the Altadis blend. I like this one better than the Stokkebye. Is this a good intro to the Balkan style?

Low Country's Cooper -- So far, I'm puzzled by this one. I think it might be a preparation issue. It's a broken flake, and oddly wet for an English blend. Mearly as wet as any McCelland I've come across, actually. Thing is, it seems to dry out really, really fast when I rub some out to give it some air. So far, the bowls I've had have been good, but not particularly exceptional. Anyone familiar with this one and have any advice on prep?

McClelland's Anniversary -- Nice for what it is, but not particularly what I'm looking for right now. The latakia in this seems to be there mostly to put contrast on the Virginias. More sweet than smokey, and I'm looking for an emphasis towards the latter.

G.L. Pease's Meridian -- This I absolutely love. The balance between all the tobaccos is great, making it a really rewarding, complex smoke. On the strength of this alone I'm tempted to just order half a dozen tins of GLP latakia blends.

So, based on all that, what does everyone recommend? Thanks in advance.

GL Pease's Maltese Falcon and Odyssey. Both are brilliant latakia blends.

Hearth and Home's Magnum Opus. The name says it all here -- a stellar Balkan blend, with loads of complexity.

McClelland's Wilderness and Legends. These are absolutely stellar mixtures. Wilderness uses a hefty portion of Syrian latakia, while Legends sticks to the more common Cyprian variety. The only drawback to these is that, like most McClelland mixtures, they are fairly light blends.

G&H Balkan Mixture. This is a "sleeper" blend if there ever was one. The latakia in this one is distinct -- it's a more oily and smokier version than what I'm accustomed to.

Boswell's Northwoods. This is my daily latakia smoke. It's not quite as rich or complex as the others (although still no slouch in either department) but it's burning characteristics are superb and I can smoke it all day without roasting my tongue.

I really don't think you would go wrong with any of these. A lot of guys swear by the Dunhill blends and Penzance, but I'm not one of them. I never liked the Dunhills very much, as they have an odd, peaty flavor I don't care for. Penzance is a brilliant blend in its own way, but more for the odd combo of orientals then for the latakia.

On the light to middle-of-the-road side, I have and enjoy:

Margate
Balkan Sasieni
Northwoods
EMP
C&D Good Morning
Chelsea Morning
3 Oak Syrian
Maltese Falcon
FMOTT

On the more complex side, I have and enjoy:

Oddessy
Nightcap
Penzance

Still on the fence about Magnum Blend...

Need to try me some more GLP blends...maybe some Three Russians....the list can go on & on...

If I were you, I'd order a GLP Lat sampler & be done. Nobody does Lat blends like Greg.

I'll add-

C&D Billy Budd. In your face Lat blend, contains cigar leaf. Take no prisoners...

Uhle's Bishops Move. Very fine Burley based Lat blend. Always consistent and seems to "scratch that itch" when I want a final bowl of something very smoky yet balanced.

I love Macs Wilderness and Legends, both are staples at chez Brewdude. For me though, the Lat is more of a condiment than a forward component. And for that reason is why I gravitate to them. These days I don't reach for Lat forward blends very often, but that's just where my tastes are at these days.

And Macs Anni is always a treat for me, but again the L factor is more of a compliment than a statement. Works for me.

Beyond a certain point, if the Latakia dominates it seems to take over and eclipse the other components.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Cheers,

RR

SG Balkan Flake
GLP Lagonda
GLP Quiet Nights
SPC Mississippi River
C&D Pirate Kake

If it hasn't already been mentioned, what about McClellands Frog Morton---or even Three Oaks Syrian? Sillem's Black?

If you're curious about something a little more way out and you have friends in the South Carolina area, ask them about Boda Pipes "Chocolate Manhood".

SG Squadron Leader & Skiff mixture

Frog Morton Across the Pond

Blue Mountain

Chelsea Morning