My first 50+gauge

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
My wife a little while back bought me a cigar from a local "we sell knives, tiger posters, Bob Marley pictures, bongs, and cigars(!)" tobacco shop. It was a sweet gift from here. Said "Cuban Handcrafted" on the label...and it was HUGE. I could barely fit the thing in my mouth...it was painful to smoke cuz of the size (now...no "comments"). I know what she did...she went into the shop and bought the biggest cigar she saw---and the "Cuban" part of it caught her eye. Now, it didn't taste bad...an ok light-medium smoke. Reminded me of a slightly stronger Mr. B (aw, the fancy cigars are the best :D ). But that gauge destroyed me....

Well she has always been confused about it. Ex Cig smoker, so she thinks it is odd to smoke anything you don't inhale...

I keep looking at this post and wondering...

Nowadays, a 50 gauge cigar would be considered the normal gauge with smaller gauges not being as hyped. Most newer releases start at 52 gauge and go up from there. The largest cigar that I have smoked was an EP Carrillo 6x60. I found that it definitely wasn't the sort of thing that I'd hold in my mouth. It certainly didn't stress my jaws though.

I think that the larger ring gauges are due to the fact that smokers generally don't walk around or work while smoking anymore. This has become a sedentary occupation along the lines of drinking premium beverages. You do it sitting down while comparing notes or swapping stories. So the large gauge cigars are do-able if all you're going to do is sip while otherwise holding it in your hand.

Not a bad thing - chomping a cigar for extended periods cannot be good for oral hygiene and probably contributes to oral cancers.

My occasional sticks are usually between 54 and 60 ringers and usually 6 inches long. Each one lasts basically all day long. I could never keep it in my mouth for more than a minute or two although when I have a pipe it does stay in my mouth. So I'm usually up and going about my business all day long with a cigar rather than just sitting while smoking it. A thick cigar is pleasurable while driving, walking, outdoor browsing such as at an outdoor art show or on a trail in the woods. Large ring gauge cigars offer a long slow smoke and usually the maduro/oscuro wrappers that I like are all on the big boys.

Those big gauge cigars need a hatchet as a cutter.....many cigar cutters are too small !!!!