My first attempt at carving a pipe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo270r

Reaction score
Here's my first attempt at making a pipe:

After first rough shaping:
firstpipe-001.jpg

Second rough shaping:
firstpipe-002.jpg

firstpipe-003.jpg

After more shaping and bending the stem:
firstpipe-004.jpg

firstpipe-005.jpg

And the final product:
firstpipe-006.jpg

firstpipe-007.jpg

firstpipe-008.jpg

Definitely no masterpiece, but it can only get better from here right? :) this was from a pre-drilled kit from Mark Tinsky. My buddy has been helping me along my journey into pipe making, and its been a blast! I also picked up a piece of plateau and some lucite rod stock from Tim West at the Columbus show to work on for my mext endeavor. I also signed up for the 2013 CPCC Pipe Show pipe making workshop, and I can't wait!

great job on that pipe brother! BEAUTIFUL stain/grain!

To me it looks like it should be a straight pipe, but to each their own!

Keep it up!

nogbert":yghcnk3p said:
great job on that pipe brother! BEAUTIFUL stain/grain!

To me it looks like it should be a straight pipe, but to each their own!

Keep it up!
Agreed on all counts. 8)

Thanks for all the comments! I went back and forth with the bend in the stem. I remember seeing a Dunhill prince that had a similar bend so I figured why not give it a go with this one. Also, with the way the tobacco chamber is drilled, the angle of the bend makes the tobacco chamber sit straight when it's in the mouth. It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to start acquiring my own tools and getting started on another!

nismo270r":fhrptmzr said:
Thanks for all the comments! I went back and forth with the bend in the stem. I remember seeing a Dunhill prince that had a similar bend so I figured why not give it a go with this one. Also, with the way the tobacco chamber is drilled, the angle of the bend makes the tobacco chamber sit straight when it's in the mouth. It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to start acquiring my own tools and getting started on another!
Yep, you've got the bug now! You won't want to stop making pipes now!

That is one lovely piece of wood. And you're starting with a lathe? You are certainly beginning with a leg up!

Now go make another. :)

UberHuberMan":5jxh6g4n said:
That is one lovely piece of wood. And you're starting with a lathe? You are certainly beginning with a leg up!

Well, my friend that has the equipment made his first pre-drilled kit completely with a dremel and said "never again" haha. I don't know how many bits he chewed through. He got the min lathe and an end mill from a friend of his who had them for awhile, but never used them. Both of us need to get in touch with some of the more established carvers around the Indy area to meet up and really get schooled!

And I will definitely be making another as soon as I can. I have a piece of plateau and lucite rod stock that I picked up at the NASPC show this past August that I need to get cracking on!

Very interesting take on the Prince shape, job very well done, I look forward to seeing more from you soon. ;)

nismo270r":yrhgs3r5 said:
UberHuberMan":yrhgs3r5 said:

Well, my friend that has the equipment made his first pre-drilled kit completely with a dremel and said "never again" haha. I don't know how many bits he chewed through. He got the min lathe and an end mill from a friend of his who had them for awhile, but never used them. Both of us need to get in touch with some of the more established carvers around the Indy area to meet up and really get schooled!

And I will definitely be making another as soon as I can. I have a piece of plateau and lucite rod stock that I picked up at the NASPC show this past August that I need to get cracking on!
Try contacting Nate King or Wayne Teipen. These are the first guys I'd recommend getting in touch with if you want some schoolin'. ;)

Very nice. I think you have made me want to try my hand at making one! If mine comes out half as good as yours I will be very happy:D 

Lol, I can highly recommend getting to the Chicago Pipe Show Pipe Making Seminar if you can.  Here was my second pipe from the seminar this past May, although this one I had a LOT of help from the following makers: Rex Poggenpohl, Brian Ruthenberg, Andy Petersen (Quad City Pipes), Mike Butera, Rad Davis, & Lee Erck

2---Seminar--007.jpg

2---Seminar--010.jpg