My first banding

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lifeon2

Reaction score
I picked this old yello bole premier up in a lot of pipes a while back and noticed it had a small crack in the shank it has been sitting in a pile waiting to go off to Tim West with some pipes that need new stems. My original thought was to make a brass band out of some 50 cal pistol brass but it was way to small as the shank measured out to .63 then I remembered that my wife keeps tons of jewelry and asked her if she had any small rings. She had 2 that she wears as pinky rings and this one would fit down about 1/4 of the way. So off to the garage I went and fired up the propane torch. I heated it until I saw the copper starting to burn off, I had the lights out, and then slipped it on and tapped it down with a rawhide mallet. A little bit of polish, which I had to redo so the wolves would stay black and viola my first banding attempt was a complete success. I almost forgot the ring is sterling silver.

GEDC0393_zpsfe46c455.jpg

Nice work. I think it makes the pipe look better than it probably did to begin with.