My First Bent Bulldog

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished my first Bent Bulldog for a pipe trade that we are having over at the Pipe Maker's Forum.

I'm pretty happy with it, but it is always good to get an objective opinion.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Todd

182906.jpg

182854.jpg

Looks good, Todd. Very "Peterson-esque." Personally, I like a more bold "shoulder" around the top and a bit more stoutness. With that, understand my opinion is for sh*t. :lol: It's a beautiful pipe, and if it ended up on my doorstep like a hungry kitten, I would not leave it outside. 8)

Kyle,

Lets get something straight. Your opinion is important. I asked for a critique and that's what you gave me.

By the way, I agree with you. I should have cut the shoulder at a sharper angle. By the time I figured that out it was too late. I'll just have to cut it better the next time. :)

Todd

Kyle Weiss":jcullsfd said:
It's a beautiful pipe, and if it ended up on my doorstep like a hungry kitten, I would not leave it outside.
I agree with Kyle 100% on the beauty of the pipe - and it showing up on the doorstep like a homeless kitten (meow meow). Only difference in opinion is that I personally like the dimensions the way they are. I think you did an outstanding job on this bent bulldog.

Very nice grain and well defined lines.

I will also 2nd what Jefe1037 said - 'I want one!'

Todd - you may have found your calling!

taharris":7df7wyqa said:
Kyle,

Lets get something straight. Your opinion is important. I asked for a critique and that's what you gave me.

By the way, I agree with you. I should have cut the shoulder at a sharper angle. By the time I figured that out it was too late. I'll just have to cut it better the next time. :)

Todd
Hahaha well thanks--my opinion I'm kind of a helpless slave to, and never really want it to negatively precede my wonderful personality.... :p :twisted:

So, I just have to add a bent bulldog to my list of "must have Harris pipes." Fair enough. 8)

Since we're talking about it, if I were to have a shoulder like that in the picture, it's actually not bad--if the pipe were a little rounder and less "acorn" shaped (that's the best way I can describe it). I find the taller and narrower the bowls get, the sharper the angle and taller the shoulder tends to be (not my preferred style, but that seems to be status-quo)... but the wider bowls can look good with either a shallow shoulder with a steeper angle or a flatter, broader shoulder--so I tend to lean toward the rounder or more squat bowls (or hell, Rhodesians are nice, too 8) ) --- just my take.

I love the versatility of the bulldog style, and this one looks like a very solid example drawing from the English/Irish school. For a first attempt, it looks great.
I'd like to see more, with some added "verve", if you know what I mean... :cheers:

Harlock999":0xhovqzs said:
I love the versatility of the bulldog style, and this one looks like a very solid example drawing from the English/Irish school. For a first attempt, it looks great.
I'd like to see more, with some added "verve", if you know what I mean... :cheers:
I agree, but therein lies the rub. Some like a very traditional style without a lot of flash and others prefer a more dressed up pipe. A silver band and a Cumberland stem would certainly verve up this pipe.

Thanks for the insight.

Todd

taharris":ek1q589g said:
I just finished my first Bent Bulldog for a pipe trade that we are having over at the Pipe Maker's Forum.

I'm pretty happy with it, but it is always good to get an objective opinion.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Todd

182906.jpg

182854.jpg
I like it a lot and it does have a very British look to it. I would love to see the heel of it as from the grain shown on the two sides it looks like it would have beautiful birdseye on the heel ! As far as "verve" if you were to put a hand cut Saddle Bit stem on it it would lengthen it out visually even if the stem were the same length as this taper style. All in all a nice, nice piece of work! :cheers:

Not negating other's critiques, this is everything I visualize when I think "bulldog." This isn't a whimsical graceful shape; have you ever seen a graceful bulldog of the canine variety? There is a reason the shape has such a namesake. This is a man's pipe. The owner of this pipe has some serious business to attend to. I wouldn't want to be in the way of the gent that has this clinched betwixt his teeth because he understands how to hand out a serious asswhoopin'

I don't normally wax poetic, but I had some serious visual imagery running through my noggin inspired by your creation.

Your fine work is inspirational, sir!

jefe1037":lmp442qo said:
This is a man's pipe. The owner of this pipe has some serious business to attend to. I wouldn't want to be in the way of the gent that has this clinched betwixt his teeth because he understands how to hand out a serious asswhoopin'
Hell, it looks like you could beat a man to death with that pipe and not even have to re-tamp it afterward. I love it!

Very nice!! I also think a saddle bit stem would be a nice touch. wish I could make a bulldog!

I want one, too.
It's very close to an Abbey of London pipe I loved but lost years ago. I've been searching for a replacement for over twenty years. Mine was rusticated - yours is nicer. Good show!

monbla256":vwspqww9 said:
I like it a lot and it does have a very British look to it. I would love to see the heel of it as from the grain shown on the two sides it looks like it would have beautiful birdseye on the heel ! As far as "verve" if you were to put a hand cut Saddle Bit stem on it it would lengthen it out visually even if the stem were the same length as this taper style. All in all a nice, nice piece of work! :cheers:
Here are some additional pictures.

181612.jpg

181543.jpg

Unfortunately, not as much bird's eye as one might expect.

And it never occurred to me to put a saddle stem on this pipe. I was going for a very traditional look. I may need to give that idea some thought... thanks!

Todd

Wow, nice first dog. That is supposed to be the most difficult shape to carve. I think you nailed that heel crease. The top of the pipe has enough nuances to make it stand out, I like it. Add a cumberland stem: oh-la-la!

The symetry of the bowl and bottom crease you achieved is PERFECT!! And you got the bottom line straight !! NICE,NICE work!! As far as a saddle bit, my experience over the years is that I've seen as many saddle bit Bulldogs as taper bit. In fact I have several British pipes from the '60s/'70s with'em! Either way, looks VERY BRITISH to me :p

jefe1037":nivzu46k said:
Not negating other's critiques, this is everything I visualize when I think "bulldog." This isn't a whimsical graceful shape; have you ever seen a graceful bulldog of the canine variety? There is a reason the shape has such a namesake. This is a man's pipe. The owner of this pipe has some serious business to attend to. I wouldn't want to be in the way of the gent that has this clinched betwixt his teeth because he understands how to hand out a serious asswhoopin'
!
I agree, the Bulldog is a man's pipe.

Although, if you happen to be a man's man and want a pipe that you could just as easily use as a club, then a Bull Moose is the pipe for you. I just finished this little beauty for a custom order and I am so pleased with the grain that I just had to show it off.

221302.jpg

221348.jpg

221539.jpg

221935.jpg

Todd

Todd, you do some nice work. I just checked out your gallery. When the wallet is getting a little heavy, I might be calling in your direction