My first bowl!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stulowitz

Reaction score
Well, maybe not entirely true... I tried my hand at pipe smoking during my "finding myself" years around turning twenty. Back then I smoked cigarettes on occasion and was very intrigued by pipesmoking. Bought myself a cheap pipe and some tobacco and probably did EVERYTHING wrong; gurgling, tongue bite, the works. Needless to say, I gave up the pipe (and cigarettes for that matter).

Well ten years have passed. I have "found" myself, and really enjoy my life, my family and my work. It can still all become very hectic and stressing, especially my work (long hours, alot of pressure etc) so I decided to try and give myself an excuse for some "me" time. I love tinkering in the garage, doing projects now and then and restoring motorcycles. But I rarely "find" time to do those sort of things except for when on vacation, which is a very rare occasion indeed. So I decided, enough is enough, and I´m going to make myself an excuse to get away and be alone in my garage and tinker.

Enter pipe smoking.

The perfect thing for me! I can tinker with making my own pipes AND make my own blends and have a good excuse to go tinker, i.e. "honey, I have to go smoke, see you in two hours" :lol:

So I ordered a couple of cobs and some tobacco from the US and it finally arrived this evening and out I went into my "mancave" (aka windowless garage). I had mixed feelings and was very excited (as giddy as a schoolboy). Will I like it? Will it be as bad as I remember? Will it kill my olfaction and gustation? (Being a brewmaster and sensory scientist, this is very important to me) etc etc

img_5311.jpg

Well I packed (sort af "Frank"-ish style) what I thought would be the easiest blend, MacBaren Original Choice, and lit up.

img_5312.jpg

At first I felt stinging in the back of my throat, and some flavor. I concentrated at taking very slow sips and lo and behold, it was amazing. So much subtle and everchanging flavor. When my bowl went out half way through I just had to try pairing it with a favorite; 2005 Oerbier from De Dolle Brouwers, and wow, amazing. I cant wait to keep on my journey of trying different blends, making my own and having fun.

img_5313.jpg

The only thing that I didn´t like was the taste when sipping a bowl that has just went out, but being my proper first bowl, I believe my technique will only improve.

And by the way, for most of the time I did a sort of sip and blow back technique which kept the bowl alight, I´m guessing at the cost of burning through the tobacco fast? The smoke was never hot though, and I didn´t feel any tongue bite. If anyone has any suggestions it would be very much appreciated.

Sorry about the long post, but I just wanted to share :cheers:
img_5314.jpg

Hello and welcome back to the pipe...I've noticed a pattern(and fall into it myself) that much like a good Scotch, pipe smoking seems better with a bit of age! ;)

Great intro. I use my garage as my "den' right now...at least until the weather gets better. Welcome.

Brewdude":8ov0rmcx said:
So, you're a homebrewer then?
Nope, a pro. Degree in brewing science and engineering. My specialties are QC and product development. I am brewmaster at Borg Brugghús, Reykjavík, Iceland (I can´t seem to post external links, but the homepage is listed on my profile).

My newest offering, a 12ABV Imperial Stout will hit the market on Friday, called Surtur to honor the baddie who is responsible for the end of the world as we know it according to norse mythology. It´s the strongest beer ever produced and sold in Iceland to date :cheers:

stulowitz":8uhyrd49 said:
It´s the strongest beer ever produced and sold in Iceland to date :cheers:
Man, that sounds great! Wish we could get the REAL STUFF here in the states without jumping through hoops.

Great story and welcome to the brotherhood. I started out with (and still generally prefer) aromatics, but I do enjoy a good English Blend on a semi-regular basis.

I think you'll find that almost all MacBaren blends require very slow puffing...smoke fast and they'll bite the hell out of you, smoke slow and it's always an enjoyable experience (especially true of that Scottish blend you have).

Is Borg Brugghus available in the United States? I jumped head first into the world of beer about five or six years ago, but I'm not sure I've ever seen your label in any of the stores I usually visit.

You and I followed similar paths. My college roommate and I tried to take up pipe smoking but it didn't last. I picked it up again about 10 years later (about 2 years ago) and I haven't looked back. Soon those two cobs will be surrounded dozens of briars and four tins will turn into 4lbs.

I'd also be interested in getting my hands on some of that Imperial Stout if it ever makes its away to the States.

Stulowitz, welcome to the world of pipes. There is no turning back. Now you belong to to us!!!!!
MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

But seriously, welcome to the brotherhood.

Bill

idbowman":vp7cb2kv said:
I think you'll find that almost all MacBaren blends require very slow puffing...smoke fast and they'll bite the hell out of you, smoke slow and it's always an enjoyable experience (especially true of that Scottish blend you have).

Is Borg Brugghus available in the United States? I jumped head first into the world of beer about five or six years ago, but I'm not sure I've ever seen your label in any of the stores I usually visit.
Yeah, I tried to smoke as slow and easy as I possibly could, and enjoyed the MacBaren First Choice very much

About my beer in the US; I don´t export, I have enough trouble as it is keeping up with domestic demand, as well as exporting brings up various quality control issues that I don´t want to worry myself with at the moment. But if you´re ever in Iceland...you know who to call ;)

Dave_In_Philly":6ypvnyzf said:
Soon those two cobs will be surrounded dozens of briars and four tins will turn into 4lbs.
:lol: There are two briars in transit and I´m planning my next tobacco purchase, I pretty much have to import all tobacco if I want something else than half&hlaf or Prince Albert