My first commission - chronicled...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mozjo33

Reaction score
I have been on a prowl these last couple of weeks for unique carvings. Last week, Darren (treezenroots) posted pictures of some of his latest carvings with burl Burl 1 & Burl 2.

Looking at his website D. Peditto Pipes, I saw a carving that he told me was actually a scrap peice of wood/prototype he called the "Rhino."

rhinoA.jpg

rhinoB.jpg

After a couple of emails and telephone conversations, Darren agreed to carve me a similar pipe. Darren has been fantastic to work with and has been sending pics of my pipe as you will see from the absolute beginning to the initial carvings. I have included parts of his emails so you know what you're looking at. Enjoy the pics!

"Here's your PIPE!!. So here's the begining, this is where it starts,,,,,actually it starts with me hunting for the burl, then it comes back to the shop. This is what I find in the center of the burl."

rhinoC.jpg

rhinoD.jpg

"Now its in the shop to the next saw. Check for the right grain and birds eye."

rhinoF.jpg

"Down to a decent size now. I'll spend an hour or so figuring which way, what's the grain telling me to do, then its to the band saw and back to the bench, where I'll spend the next probably 12 hours. Also, can't make pipes without a cool pipe making hat."

Unfortunatley, the hat does not come with the pipe!!! :tongue:

rhinoE.jpg

"Ok Mo, This is it until your holding it in hand. I'm pretty happy with it up to this point, so far. I do believe this will be the nicest piece I've done."

rhinoH.jpg

rhinoI.jpg

rhinoJ.jpg

This is it so far. Darren is removing a large portion of the "horn" and carving a stem to fit the lines of the pipe. Unfortunately - Darren told me no more pics until he is finished. I can not wait for the end result. More pics to come!! Thanks for looking!

Mo, that's actually a really cool looking pipe, just be careful not to run thru the house with it. Wouldn't want to hear about you bleeding to death.

Next time, negotiate for the hat! :cheers:

I have many questions about his hat, but I will refrain.

I love the look of that pipe, if you squint a bit it looks a little like the bow of a ancient trireme... at least that's what it reminds me of :)

triremeimage.jpg

Seems there is a burl hunting hat as well. I doubt that one is for sale.

Dutch":xjrvamwl said:
Mo, that's actually a really cool looking pipe, just be careful not to run thru the house with it. Wouldn't want to hear about you bleeding to death.

Next time, negotiate for the hat! :cheers:
I'm too busy running around with scissors and a knife in my hands and a lollipop in my mouth!

He wanted more for the hat than the pipe. The hat may be my next commission!

Receieved notification that the "Rhino" is on its way! Let you know and see how it turned out in a couple of days! :cheers: :cheers:

Very cool shape and neat to see it unfold. I also love the hat. Unfortunately, I don't need any head covering to keep sawdust out of my hair......