My first couple of bowls of Full Virginia Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipePuffer

Reaction score
So far I have been mostly attracted to tobaccos with bolder flavors (english/balkan/oriental) but, in an effort to expand my horizons, I decided to give virginias a try. Since many people swear by FVF, that was my first choice.

When I opened the tin, it was surprisingly moist. It actually looked like juicy strips of beef jerky. The tin aroma was appealing though.

1st bowl: right after opening the tin, I gently broke the flake into short strips and loaded them up in the pipe. It was a disaster. I had to keep relighting the bowl every 2 minutes and the taste was green, grassy and bitter. Yuck.

After doing some reading on BoB, I gave it another go.

2nd bowl: I cut the flake into small cubes and let it dry for a few hours until just barely moist. Then I loaded it up very gently in the pipe (no hard tamping whatsoever). This time the bowl remained lit much longer. And the flavor was completely different. Sort of sweet and toasty I guess but very mild compared to the tobaccos I usually smoke. I found that sipping was essential for me to appreciate the delicate flavor of this tobacco. Also, I don't usually like to expel smoke out of my nose, but I felt compelled to try it with FVF and it was fantastic as the toastiness really came out. As a bonus, the room note was very pleasant and my clothes didn't stink!

3rd bowl: can't wait for more.

Conclusion: it probably won't become an everyday smoke for me, but it could be a fantastic option when I crave for something milder.

my first FVF from a fresh tin smelled exactly of the days when I used to clean out horse stalls. I needed it to get some age, air out and dry up a bit before that sweetness came through.

FVF seems to be a tobacco that, more so than others, takes some getting into. I know it took me a few tins before I really got it. I firmly believe it is best with at least a year of aging & being well-dried. But I'm delighted you like it - it grows on one!

For me I learned on Opening Night and a few other Virgina flakes. At first I though no way this stuff is really not very good and where the heck is all that sweetness everyone talks about, LOL!

I am not as smart so it took me about 1 1/2 to 2 Oz. to figure out how to smoke it and personally I like just rubbing it out really well and when I did that it didn't take very long to dry enough to find out what it was all about.

Love FVF, Opening Night, and a good many others now.

I found the nose thing pretty fast as that was the best way to find all the flavors hiding in there. I almost always exhale some through my nose, not every puff, but enough to keep that smell in there which smell has a lot to do with our taste.

Also try some other which are stronger than FVF.

Skip

Thanks for your take on the FVF, glad your second bowl was much more enjoyable than the first!

Muddler":cj7zew7f said:
FVF seems to be a tobacco that, more so than others, takes some getting into. I know it took me a few tins before I really got it. I firmly believe it is best with at least a year of aging & being well-dried. But I'm delighted you like it - it grows on one!
Thanks for the reassurance Mud! With all the supply issues with SG, I ordered more tins then I wanted to! Maybe this is a good thing after all! :cheers:

Oh and one other little tid bit I found that if I don't just let the smoke pass over my tongue, but instead let the smoke sometimes hit the tip of my tongue then the sweetness really shows up. Can't let it stay there all the time because it get a bit over done on the tip, but sure helps the taste.

Skip

I have found that it takes me about a tin to really GET a tobacco. This is particularly true of Virginias, as they tend to have very soft nuances when compared to English, Balkan and heavy Latakia blends.

With flakes, I prefer the cube cut, no tamp method as I find it easier to keep lit and I still get a bit of the intensity of the flake.

Probabaly the BIGGEST lesson to learn with tobaccos in general, and flakes in particular, is to SIP the smoke.

shootist51":4y8nipl4 said:
I have found that it takes me about a tin to really GET a tobacco. This is particularly true of Virginias, as they tend to have very soft nuances when compared to English, Balkan and heavy Latakia blends.

With flakes, I prefer the cube cut, no tamp method as I find it easier to keep lit and I still get a bit of the intensity of the flake.

Probabaly the BIGGEST lesson to learn with tobaccos in general, and flakes in particular, is to SIP the smoke.
I have only tried 2 methods, rubbed out and bend over and stuff so I am thinking you are just cutting across the flake and dropping the little pieces in? If you don't mind I would like to hear just what you do.

Thanks in advance,
Skip

That's pretty much "it." For the top and middle, it works well and is much more easily managed than the flake approach. The problem it entails is that you've got a bottom full of little pieces that easily turn into soggy dottle.

:face:

Yak":vw34kax8 said:
That's pretty much "it." For the top and middle, it works well and is much more easily managed than the flake approach. The problem it entails is that you've got a bottom full of little pieces that easily turn into soggy dottle.

Ah so maybe if you rub a little out and put that in the very bottom and they you could put the little cut cubes the rest of the way. Think I will give it a try.

Last night I filled a pretty big bowl of FVF that I didn't allow to dry a little and I should had because I packed it just a tiny bit too much and almost ruin the bowl. Had to light and set down, light and sit down until I finally got it a little looser about half way through.

I usually have to let that FVF in the tin dry first or at least the tin I am into as it's just too wet and the slice is a bit thinker than most so that kind of gives a different number of potential problems.

Thank you,

Skip

If you're going to cube it, try cutting the end of a flake off and abusing it into something like a little brillo pad.

Not so tight/dense that it restricts the draw, but dense and springy enough that it can stay in place to support the cubes without them falling through it.

Put that about three quarters of the way down and gravity feed your smaller stuff. Don't tap to settle, & don't tamp while smoking.

Onward & Upward :D

I bought a tin a few weeks ago at my local tobacconist, and just was not enjoying it. I also read somewhere here to dry it out a little. So I rubbed a flake out really well, let it sit for half an hour, and loaded it. It was a very pleasant surprise how much the smoking experience changed. Thanks for the tip!

Skip48":pygixbkv said:
shootist51":pygixbkv said:

I have only tried 2 methods, rubbed out and bend over and stuff so I am thinking you are just cutting across the flake and dropping the little pieces in? If you don't mind I would like to hear just what you do.

Thanks in advance,
Skip
Skip, I take the flake and cut it lengthwise into stips approximately 1/8" and then cut the strips into about 1/8", so you end up with a small cube of approximately 1/8 square. This is trickled into the bowl and the side of the bowl is lightly tapped to settle the cubes.

I DO NOT tamp the tobacco, until such time as it will not take a relight, usually about 1/2 way through the bowl and the using the weight of the pipe nail to provive the only pressure. Though you may have more relights using this method, I find the resulting enjoyment is well worth a few extra matches.

Thanks Shootist51 I will give the a try. I am always looking and trying new things and ways.

Skip