My First Dunhill

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silence2477

Reaction score
I picked up my first Dunhill off ebay the other day and got it in the mail today. It needs a good cleaning and polishing for sure. I'll post pictures as I go through the process. I'm very excited about getting it cleaned and ready to smoke. I will also ask for some help from my fellow Brothers to square me away on finding the date of the pipe.

Looks to be in pretty good shape. It also looks like an older model. 60's, 70's? Those older Dunhills are so much better than the newer production. I think that she'll clean up real nice. Congrats on the pipe. I look forward to seeing pictures of the restored pipe.

Nice one. A classic shape, be it the Dunnie Rhodesian or the bent bulldog most everyone else calls it (square vs round shank)...confusing terminology, nice pipe. :D

8)

Agreed. My second favorite shape after the sitters.

Great looking wood on that.

Nice pipe brother! I look forward to seeing your progress cleaning it up. Don't forget to let us know how she smokes too.

Jim

That should clean up nicely, love that shape and finish. Give me a shout if you need any assistance on the clean-up.
Post the nomenclature, that will tell the tale.

Congratulations on a fine acquisition, I look forward to seeing how well it cleans up, looks like a keeper to me. :)

Beautiful, classic profile.
A perfectly balanced, archetypal bulldog.
Nice!

Great purchase! Congratulations! :cheers: :cheers:

Fraternally

Jers

Thank you everyone for the kind words and congratulations, I appreciate it. The nomenclature on the right side says MADE IN ENGLAND 8 underneath that it says PAT NO 417574/34 and then has P F/T beside that. The left side says DUNHILL and LONDON under it. After looking at the site I'm not 100% sure what year it is. I was thinking 1958 but if someone knows for sure I would appreciate the help. If I need to take a close up picture let me know and I will post one. I cleaned it up and it came out pretty well. I used a Mr. Clean magic eraser on the stem. I cleaned the pipe with soap and water and then polished both with Paragon wax. Which works really well for hand polishing, but I would love to see what it would look like with a buffing wheel and some caranuba wax. I think I am going to be in the market for a buffing wheel in the near future.
I gave it a christining smoke earlier with some Dunhill flake. The draw on this pipe is amazing. It's almost as easy as breathing. I was very very surprised. I guess I now know what all the hype is about.

Wow, a patent number pipe! I think '58 might be right. What a nice job by hand. If you want to use my buffing setup, bring it down to Hagerstown one evening or weekend.

It cleaned up nice! I always liked that "waist" dunhill puts in the stem of their "Rhodesians' . Enjoy it :p

Unusual for a Dunhill. The groove(s) edges are very clean -- not like the usual Dunhill at all.

As a rule (going by ones I've noticed, anyhow) they sanded/finish smoothed them after turning the rings, blurring their edges. Never liked that about them.

:face:

Yak":vqz6p15l said:
Unusual for a Dunhill. The groove(s) edges are very clean -- not like the usual Dunhill at all.

As a rule (going by ones I've noticed, anyhow) they sanded/finish smoothed them after turning the rings, blurring their edges. Never liked that about them.

:face:
Excellent observation.
Hadn't noticed that till you pointed it out.
Hmm...

Looks great after your clean up! :cheers:

Glad it smokes like a winner.

Fraternally

Jers