My first Estate pipes :)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
:p I was over in an older part of E. Dallas this past weekend and stopped at an "Estate" sale ( it was in Dallas ya understand :p ) and found 3 Dunhill's for sale. The "Estate" was a house that had belonged to a 96 yo man who had died back before Christmass and the family was selling off the contents of the house prior to selling it. Seems he had smoked just these three pipes for the better part of the past 50 years from what the daughter told me. They were in a shoebox with a few old cloth plaid roll-up pouches, pipe nails, cleaners and an un-opened tin of Carter Hall tobacco. I asked her if she wanted to sell it all as a group and after we dickerd a bit we settled on $25.00 for it all :p In it was a Bruyere, grp 2 in size with it's original very yellowed saddlebit and the patent no's on it and a stinger firmly stuck. The other two were Shell briars, both grp 3 in size with much more recent replacement saddle bits, non-Dunhill, and much less oxidation on them. All three of the pipes were WELL smoked with cake built up so that I could barely get my little finger in. !
I have worked on the Lovat (one of the Shells, the other is a Billiard) over the weekend and I'm going to load it up tommorrow after it dries out from my everclear/salt soak and then start working on the Billiard and after it I will attned to the Bruyere! I've never bought a used (sorry, "Estate" ) pipe before having always bought my pipes new over these past 40 years. This is all new to me :p And I will try to get ahold of a digital camera and get some pics when I can :p

I am the same way I have never bought a used pipe. Anyway, Enjoy!

Thats a lot of value for 25 bucks, Congrat's. :cheers:

The CH is worth the 25

Sounds great. I just got a couple "estate" pipes myself, nothing like a dunhill though. I found an unsmoked "stetson" at a resale shop for 10 bucks and I just picked up a Kaywoodie 13b from ebay that's probably from the 50s. I think part of the fun is finding them.

Buying estate pipes terrifies me...obviously there are some real bargains to be had, but I'm still pretty gun shy.

Congrats on biting the bullet and coming away a winner!

idbowman":rkunayz1 said:
Buying estate pipes terrifies me...obviously there are some real bargains to be had, but I'm still pretty gun shy.

Congrats on biting the bullet and coming away a winner!
Think about it if its really old whatever could have been living in there is probably long dead by now anyway and then just give it a good cleaning, hit it with some high test alcohol and fire will kill anything else that could be still living.

Great find my friend. I seen a estate sale the other day going to a job. Stopped and looked with hopes of finding some treasured pipes. Ended up leaving with a shop vac for 15 bucks, No pipes.

Watching for pix on this treasure, three Dunnies for $25.....smells like........Victory!