My first go at buying bulk...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talrmn35

Reaction score
So I ordered up some bulk McClelland's last week. But being fairly new at the whole pipe thing I was a bit nervous. Purchasing large amounts of tobacco that I "think" I might like was a little nerve racking. But I rolled the dice and fortunately for me I came up a winner. Having tried the Dunhill 965 and loved it figured I would try a Dunhill "copy" ( please don't judge me ) I ordered 8 0z of the AM Pipe mix...it was fantastic. Similar in some regards to the 965 just not as bold, but still very nice. I know that the copy blends (based on reviews) are not an exact match, but if you can just take it for what it is, it turns out to be just great in it's own right.

I also went with a Vanilla Black Cavendish that was very pleasant and my wife loves the smell! javascript:emoticonp(':cheers:')
The next was the Dark English blend which I just had my first bowl full last night and it too was very nice.
So I feel fortunate, with all the different types, flavors, cuts, blends, that I was able to pick three that I really enjoy. And have plenty of! So while my cellar is still relatively small, it is growing and with all things that I love to smoke!!

Well done! I'm a big fan of buying & jarring bulk tobacco. It's allowed me to build up my cellar at a significant cost saving. But, as you noted, you need to be pretty sure you like the stuff that goes into it.

So good to hear the blends worked out for you.. What little time I have had to test blends I also find that even if the first couple smokes of a blend don't make me smile..Later on they seem to take on a memory and build a better taste.. There are so many great blends out there and a few are not so great but that is up to the smoker.. Have fun and enjoy building your cellar.. :cheers:
Chuck..

The worst thing that can happen is that you don't like the blend; cellar it and it can improve and it's money in the bank. Keep stocking up, it's a nice feeling to have a stash of tobacco. :)

Hey man! I really like the McClelland AM pipe. It´s not an exact "copy" Dunhill EMP but very good in its own right. I got a pound of it a few years ago when the Dunhill supply was on the way out and enjoyed it thoroughly. If you like this, then I reccommend both the Stokkebye Proper English and Balkan Sasieni. They a re a little heavier on the Lat than the AM Pipe but very good, and reasonable too. All of the Stokkebye stuff comes in bulk so you can practice storing that too. :D :D

Thanks for the tips! I will give those a try as well. Can you recommend the best place to find them or are they pretty easy to find?

I just got back to pipe smoking and got all of my tobaccos at Peretti in Boston. Their blends are really great (though I don't have a lot of reference points). Decriptions on their site are pretty good, and I got a dozen different ones in 1-ounce bags. I already know a couple that I will buy in greater quantity, namely Tashkent, which is a Turkish/Latakia blend, and D9575, a burley blend which I guess is one of their specialties. This way of sampling was a great way to go, and though I will try others I'll certainly be on Peretti's mailing list for more of their amazing mixtures. I am sure they or others like them would put togwether a sampler for you via mail as well.....

I've smoked Tashkent and D9575 and I can certainly attest to the fact that they are both good choices. I preferred the D9575. A really delicious latakia blend with a burley base.

Thanks for the tip Talrmn. McClelland is really good quality and I am going to give it a try to AM when I can. How much did you pay for it? I havent buy McClelland bulk for quite many years. I suppose prices are much higher now.

I ordered from pipesandcigars.com I think it was 3.40 an ounce @ 8oz. I just ordered 8oz of the 965 copy I hope I like it as much. and Peter Stokkebye Bulk Luxury Twist Flake @ 2.73 an ounce. I'm getting quite the little cellar going here.

talrmn35":5oec28d1 said:
So I ordered up some bulk McClelland's last week. But being fairly new at the whole pipe thing I was a bit nervous. Purchasing large amounts of tobacco that I "think" I might like was a little nerve racking. But I rolled the dice and fortunately for me I came up a winner. Having tried the Dunhill 965 and loved it figured I would try a Dunhill "copy" ( please don't judge me ) I ordered 8 0z of the AM Pipe mix...it was fantastic. Similar in some regards to the 965 just not as bold, but still very nice. I know that the copy blends (based on reviews) are not an exact match, but if you can just take it for what it is, it turns out to be just great in it's own right.

I also went with a Vanilla Black Cavendish that was very pleasant and my wife loves the smell! javascript:emoticonp(':cheers:')
The next was the Dark English blend which I just had my first bowl full last night and it too was very nice.
So I feel fortunate, with all the different types, flavors, cuts, blends, that I was able to pick three that I really enjoy. And have plenty of! So while my cellar is still relatively small, it is growing and with all things that I love to smoke!!
I'm glad to hear that your first foray into bulk was satisfying.

I've always bought more bulk than tins. In fact, it was just in the past few months that I've gotten into tins (after almost 20 years of pipe smoking). I usually bought bulk from my local tobacco store. I was the opposite of you- I kind of worried about going with tins- they often cost as much as 2-4oz of bulk tobacco (at least 2-3 of most) and I'd have no idea if I like them until I committed to the whole thing.

There are a couple ways to take the uncertainty out of it:

-If you haven't found it yet, go to www.tobaccoreviews.com. While they are reviews from individuals, and thus some people will give a blend four stars no matter what, and some will give it one (some people just love/hate a particular tobacco), I've found it can be a good guide (especially with tobaccos with multiple reviews). It took a lot of the nervousness out of buying tins for me (and bulks online).

-To see if you like a bulk you are considering try your local B&M then once you know you like it you can buy it online if you would prefer. You can see it, smell the jar (of course that only tells so much), ask opinions (if the salesman is a pipe smoker), buy in smaller amounts (most tobacco shops will sell you a one ounce sampler, some will sell even smaller), and most will allow you to sample a bowl. If one won't let you sample, find another (especially if you are a regular). Needless to say, after you've sampled a bowl or two to see what you like, it is good manners to buy a few ounces from the store. Also, buying the smaller samples (if you don't feel comfortable asking to sample a bowl, if they won't let you, or if you just want to sample a lot of tobacco) is a cheaper way to see if you like it. Of course, this only works if there is a B&M nearby.

One suggestion, while you are checking out bulk tobaccos be sure to check www.4noggins.com. Great online store- decent prices, great service, great selection. However, you really need to try their house blends while you are buying bulk. They are absolutely terrific (check their online reviews and also check tobaccoreviews.com). Bald Headed Teacher has become one of my favorites and there are several others I must try.

I enjoy many of the copies of no longer available tobaccos. Like you said, take it for what it is. Try some of the Altadis copies. Some are really good...others...?

Another good source of bulk (or tinned) tobacco is Mars Cigars (marscigars.com). Mike carries a wide variety of blends, including some that are hard to come by elsewhere, like PS Balkan Supreme, a big favorite of mine. His prices are good and his service is second to none. I'm not affiliated with Mars, just a very satisfied customer.

Smokey