My first Morta!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ocelot55

Reaction score
Well, ladies and gentlemen, I have completed my first morta pipe. It will most certainly not be my last.

First, some observations:

Morta is a fickle material. Much different than briar. It seems harder, and yet contradictory, also much softer. It splits and chips pretty easily and the growth rings are much more fragile when compared to the other stuff. After a couple of file swipes it was apparent that overall the material is much more resilient to carving.

The wood on this particular block of morta is near jet black. It has not been dyed in any way. I love the look especially paired with the nickel cap and band. This is also the first bit of green cumberland I've used. Overall I think it all works together.

This pipe is almost a nosewarmer 4 1/2" and light at 1.125 oz. About a Dunhill group 4 in size. I made it sort of short and stocky to experiment with proportions.

Finally I had the stummel sandblasted by a friend of mine named Eric. He does glass and sculpture here at the university and has access to a ginormous blaster.

I think it turned out rather well. :)

Take a look:

102_0636_zps307d2a6c.jpg

102_0635_zps8c6641c3.jpg

102_0634_zps4d20b216.jpg

102_0633_zpsae280656.jpg

102_0632_zps0b10d929.jpg

102_0631_zpscebd417c.jpg

Wow!!
That is gorgeous!
All the elements work very nicely together.
Excellent job.

One of the ONLY morta pipes I've actually wanted. A damn fine job. Damn fine.

That really is awesome! Hope you keep it for yourself and do more mortas for selling.

Awesome pipe Jesse! Definitely like the nickel on black morta. I bet it'll smoke great. :cheers:

Nice job, that stem sure suits the grain & look of the morta. Haven't got any morta pipes but they are on the wish list.

nice looking pipe, I didn't know that stuff was black to begin with thought everyone just dyed it that color

Gorgeous pipe! I love the green stem and the nickel rim cap!

Nice Pipe Jesse. I really like the shape and execution.

Brian.

Been a while since I have seen a pipe that caught my attention like this one. Great job bud!

Great piece of work - congratulations! :cheers: :cheers:

Fraternally

Jers

O, gonna crap in your cornflakes, but not much... shine up that nickel rim a little more! :cheers: I wanna see mirror-finish on the band AND the rim!

Really nice job. Glad you came out with something so nice given the difficult material...

...and yes, make more of these if you can source out more morta.

8)