My first Morta!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kyle Weiss":nvfh58pv said:
O, gonna crap in your cornflakes, but not much... shine up that nickel rim a little more! :cheers: I wanna see mirror-finish on the band AND the rim!

Really nice job. Glad you came out with something so nice given the difficult material...

...and yes, make more of these if you can source out more morta.

8)
Yeah, you're right, Kyle. The rim could use some more polishing. It was pretty ugly when I first fit it to the pipe. I figured since this one is staying with me I'd skip that process. :mrgreen:

Got a few questions about that green cumberland. Does it hadn't the strong sulfur smell like vulcanite and is it quick to oxidize?

i.keenum":ozsj4lyt said:
Got a few questions about that green cumberland. Does it hadn't the strong sulfur smell like vulcanite and is it quick to oxidize?
Well ebonite is ebonite. I would assume it has the same problems as any other vulcanized rubber stem, smell and all. I have some nice Olive brindle too that is waiting to be used.

I own an Ashton with an olive brindle stem. I've had it for a while and while I know it has oxidized a bit, it's very hard to discern with the pattern unless you look closely.

Just curious because I heard the higher the grade of the vulcanite the less it oxidizes. Thanks Jesse. :D

i.keenum":p5epy6uy said:
Just curious because I heard the higher the grade of the vulcanite the less it oxidizes. Thanks Jesse. :D
Ok, let's clear something up here. Pre-formed stems made out of vulcanite oxidize faster and turn much nastier colours than stems cut from solid ebonite stock. The difference is in the amount of sulfur used in the material (I think). Pre-fabs are made from molds that the rubber is injected into. Pre-fab stems are softer and are most of what you see on factory grade pipes. Ebonite is extruded into rods that are then cut by hand. I don't know of any artisan using pre-fabs on pipes over about $200.

i.keenum":4o7r6fts said:
Ah thanks bro.
No prob. Thanks for asking the question. A lot of folks have the misconception that pre-fabs and rod stock are same grade material. Definitely not so!