My first new pipe purchase

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheapsk8

Reaction score

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tr><td colspan="2">Sorry for the not so great pic, but you get the idea. Thought the whole "christmas pipe" thing was a little hooky, and understand straight grain briar is a better smoke, but damn. I fell in love with the grain and had settled on a Pete as my first new pipe purchase, and proly my second. 

So far smoke cool, dry with no gurgle and I am happy as can be. I can see how this is addicting. Collecting that is. Man, taking forever to build a cake...
<hr />
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="2"></td></tr></table>

A GOOD, BASIC bent Pete, ya can't get much better than that !! They've built a fantastic foundation of doing this with pipes, giving smokers great smoking instruments and next ya need to explore the System pipes they make ! Nice looking grain and ya done good guy, enjoy many more years with this one :D

cheapsk8":o9aqm5vd said:
understand straight grain briar is a better smoke
Straight grain looks nicer, to some, but smokes the same as flame grain, cross grain, or no grain, as far as I can tell...
Nice looking pipe.
Enjoy!

Sweet Pete cheapsk8! :cheers::cheers::cheers:

There is some debate as to whether a tightly straight grained pipe, might possibly be more durable under heat. However, there are no guarantees that a straight grain briar will taste better than one with average grain. Personally, I would prefer the pipe which tastes great and compliments the tobacco, since I have always been a form follows function type of thinker.

Love the shape and love the grain and color.  Congratulations!  :cheers:

I am quite impressed so far. I have smoked briars before. a couple cheapies, and my grandpas Old Pal Billiard. The Old Pal smoked beautifully, but I hate straight pipes. Too juicy for clenching, lol

This Pete is everything I hoped for in a pipe, and I have put the miles on in a week, lol. It seems to love pebblecut...so that is fine by me!

To me that shape defines a "pipe", a nice choice for your first new pipe!

A wise decision for a first purchase. It's important to have a point of reference for what a quality pipe is. 

My birdseye Peterson 106 hasn't rejected tobacco yet. :)

That's great pipe.:cheers:  A good way to start your collecting. You'll enjoy it for years to come if properly cared for.
AJ

I'm pretty sure I have 2 Peterson's in that shape or similar. 69 maybe? I smoke haddo's in mine.

juanmedusa":xoz985hj said:
I'm pretty sure I have 2 Peterson's in that shape or similar. 69 maybe? I smoke haddo's in mine.
I believe you are correct. Although the designation had nothing to do with my decision. Lol

Straight grain briar is NOT always the best smoke. In fact, it doesn't automatically smoke any better than any other grain orientation. What's important is that the ENTIRE bowl be tightly and completely grained and, more importantly, that the wood has been properly cured.

Straight grain, versus cross-grain or mixed grain is PURELY a matter of aesthetics. Don't pay more for a straight grained pipe unless you love looking at it. It's no guaranty of a good smoke.

Rob II

I am a huge fan of birdseye grain and you've got a fine example of that right there, a wonderful friend it will prove to be too, good choice, enjoy it in rude good health. :cheers: