My first pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brurobas

Reaction score
Good evening guys,

This is the first pipe ( Of many many i hope :lol: ) i made from a briar block.

It has some flaws mainly due to my lack of experience at pipemaking but overral i think it turned out ok.

Please let me know what you think :D

poker7.jpg

poker8.jpg

poker9.jpg

poker10.jpg

poker11i.jpg

poker12.jpg

Regards

Bruno

That is a totally fine first pipe. On future projects, consider taking more off of the shank to stem junction.

Let us know how it smokes! :)

Yes, I agree, the transition from bowl to stem seems a little clunky but I've heard that's the hardest part to blend gracefully. Overall it's a great first pipe,,,the grain is nice and the stem looks good. Smoke away and enjoy,,,nice work.

I'm a sucker for "organic" looking pipes. This one's got "something" to it that I really really like. Can't say what though.

All I CAN say is, if I saw that pipe for sale somewhere, you can bet I'd pick it up :)

You should be proud of this pipe, whether it was your first, third, or eightieth.

Heck yeah! I agree with the others, that is a fine loking pipe, and if its your first, then Congrats on the good job!

I agree with Rusty on the "organic" looking pipe interest, and this one has it. I also agree there should be some grace in meeting the stem to the bowl, and I do know from my few pipes, it's a b*tch to do--as is getting stem/shank/bowl proportions to be balanced (or unbalanced in an artful way).

Great work, it's a better first pipe than mine was. Did you use a kit or drill this all from hand and work the stem from a blank?

8)

Very nice First Pipe! I love the tall, deep bowl. Should get a good long smoke out of that one. No need to echo the other's views on stem/bowl transition, but I see nothing at all wrong with the work you did here.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but the tall bowl almost reminds me of a MM General, especially in the 3rd pic. (Not a bad thing!)

Kyle Weiss":3y6ti7tv said:
Did you use a kit or drill this all from hand and work the stem from a blank?

8)
I used a pre drilled kit since i just wanted to see how i could work with briar.

I did modified the stem a bit for it to adapt to the pipe.

Well done it looks great, definitely better than my first. Getting used to briar is a world away from working with softer woods.

Kyle Weiss":mytkwu1p said:
Did you use a kit or drill this all from hand and work the stem from a blank?

8)
This pipe was made from a kit so it came pre-drilled. It came with a stem but i modified it.

Thank you for your kind words guys.

Regards

Bruno