My first plugged pipe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Behike54

Reaction score
You know, hindsight is 20/20. I loaded my Nording with Blackpoint yesterday and after using the 3 pinch method (gravity load, 2nd pinch w/slight pack, and 3rd pinch with slightly harder pack) my fricking pipe was plugged!

I didn't have a pipe cleaner on me and I tried to poke around, but no joy.

And then the fun started. Hard to light and keep lit, seemed to always be fighting/fiddling with it, and to make matters worse (and I hate this), I heard the beginning of gurgle. I am not a slobbery "wet" smoker and am disciplined about sipping....but then I hear it. It's like the pipe is saying, "you dork newbie, what is you G-D hurry, anyway?!

I have heard people loading their pipes with a cleaner inserted. Are there any other ideas? What if I don't have any and when you get your pipe tool in there, you inadvertently push something up the hole even deeper (that didn't sound exactly right, but you know what I mean)?

Thanks for the help!

All you need to do is to cut a length of wire coat hanger. Just remove the stem and push the wire through the shank and into the bowl. Your previously plugged pipe will become unplugged and smoke like a charm. I also use the coat hanger when cleaning my pipes to remove any fuzz left by the pipe cleaners.

Behike54":r72ruszu said:
You know, hindsight is 20/20. I loaded my Nording with Blackpoint yesterday and after using the 3 pinch method (gravity load, 2nd pinch w/slight pack, and 3rd pinch with slightly harder pack) my fricking pipe was plugged!

And then the fun started. Hard to light and keep lit, seemed to always be fighting/fiddling with it, and to make matters worse (and I hate this), I heard the beginning of gurgle. I am not a slobbery "wet" smoker and am disciplined about sipping....but then I hear it. It's like the pipe is saying, "you dork newbie, what is you G-D hurry, anyway?!

I have heard people loading their pipes with a cleaner inserted. Are there any other ideas? What if I don't have any and when you get your pipe tool in there, you inadvertently push something up the hole even deeper (that didn't sound exactly right, but you know what I mean)?

Thanks for the help!
Don't pack so hard. :p

Having a pipe cleaner around is handy to send it down the stem in order to clear the airway when that occasional piece of baccy falls in just the right spot to plug up your pipe. Also, when using the three layer method, after each step, draw on your pipe to make sure you've still got good air flow. That'll help alleviate future issues. If you encounter this again, empty your pipe and reload. You'll be glad you did. ;)

UberHuberMan":hsuv8s2o said:

Having a pipe cleaner around is handy to send it down the stem in order to clear the airway when that occasional piece of baccy falls in just the right spot to plug up your pipe. Also, when using the three layer method, after each step, draw on your pipe to make sure you've still got good air flow. That'll help alleviate future issues. If you encounter this again, empty your pipe and reload. You'll be glad you did. ;)
DAMNIT! I check the draw of a cigar before i light! :roll:

Like I said, hindsight is 20/20. Sometimes the best solutions are so simple and staring you in the face.

I was pretty excited about that blackpoint! :mrgreen:

UberHuberMan":otppp2ka said:
Behike54":otppp2ka said:

Thanks for the help!

SOUND ADVICE!!! Always check the draw BEFORE lighting and if it's not right, dump out the bowl and refill, checking the draw as you do. And ALWAYS keep some cleaners handy!! I carry some in my pouch, my car, coat pocket etc. Very handy fellows those "chenille Stems" :p

With the rest'a these guys. I always give the pipe a "test draw" after the packing routine. Sometimes the flake "fold and stuff" method can plug up a draft hole--no shame in re-packing and doing it again. All part of the game. I'm impressed you valiantly tried so hard to make it work, though--extra points for gusto. :lol:

8)

Scoop some in, top it off, puff...
The three pinch method is a PITA.. I don't know why anyone endorses it anymore.

puros_bran":0rm8n2n6 said:
Scoop some in, top it off, puff...
The three pinch method is a PITA.. I don't know why anyone endorses it anymore.

Yeah, thanks for showing up after the 4th Qtr, coach! :lol!:

Thanks everybody. Just goes to show ya, don't believe everything you read on the internet and you can teach an old dog new tricks.....slowly. :cheers:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/7movKfyTBII" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If I find I've packed a bowl too tight, I use the straight pick in the middle of the Czech tool and insert it along the side of the pipe above the air hole, shove it down, and wiggle. This works 84% of the time.

I think I see what you were trying to say, but I think this does a better job and it's a better song by, say, 1000.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u_HH_jher3c" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Judges?

Kyle?

Bueller?

Anybody?

Ain't gonna get any arguments from me: I love Devo. :cheers:

8)

Also, the three-stage bowl fill thing is a pain, though it isn't a bad method for beginners, sometimes.

I just stuff as much as I need into the pipe, tamp whatever amount that is until the draw is right, and sometimes I add a little more. *shrug* Never paid it much mind. I do, however, not pack the hell out of the first (or only) batch--seems to make combustion a bit easier. Proper dryness taken into consideration, of course. All of it is practice until you find what suits you.

monbla256":jnrhpua2 said:
Very handy fellows those "chenille Stems" :p
Chenille stems?!! Arrgh! Please don't tell me you're calling them that, Monbla. Standards must be maintained. We need our tribal elders to enforce them. Don't give in! :( ;)

George Kaplan":ionsftat said:
monbla256":ionsftat said:
Chenille stems?!! Arrgh! Please don't tell me you're calling them that, Monbla. Standards must be maintained. We need our tribal elders to enforce them. Don't give in! :( ;)
Just trying to "get with it" and be relevant :p Besides, it sounds so "cute" don't ya think :cheers: BTW I do order 'em as "pipe cleaners" when I get my 'baccy :p

monbla256":17qpgxf4 said:
George Kaplan":17qpgxf4 said:
monbla256":17qpgxf4 said:
Just trying to "get with it" and be relevant :p Besides, it sounds so "cute" don't ya think :cheers: BTW I do order 'em as "pipe cleaners" when I get my 'baccy :p
I see the humor on both sides. Good responses either way! :)

I get my stems at Michael's the arts and crafts store. They come in bulk at a much less expensive price. Once they are home, each one is cut in half and then they become PIPE CLEANERS. :lol:

Take the time to reload. If you smoke a plugged pipe inevitably you end up sucking in an ember.

Jim