My Friend - Broken Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skaukatt

Reaction score
I didn't know where to put this post but I would be remiss not to share this with fellow pipe smokers. I received word yesterday that my lifelong friend, who was as close as a brother to me, Fred Alvarez passed away suddenly in his sleep at the too, too early age of 53. He leaves behind a loving wife and 4 children ranging in ages from 21 to 13 yrs. Some here perhaps might have known Fred from the NYC / Queens area, though he never posted here or anywhere online for that matter. I cannot begin to express the grief that I feel.

Fred and I became friends in 1976 (I say lifelong friend and brother because it was as if we had lived through many lifetimes together experiencing and enduring through so many of life's trials, pitfalls, joys and sorrows) and it wasn't until 1977 that we discovered that, unbeknownst to each other at the time, we both fell in love with the allure of the briar and leaf. Once discovered, the rest as they say is history and we shared many, many, many a bowl and tobacco and hours and hours of traversing through pipe shops from NYC to Long Island (when a few more than now existed). We attended the very first NY Pipe Show together in 1993. He was my first friend in the hobby who just happened to have become my best friend and as close to me as a brother.

Though he moved to "upstate" NY in the mid to late 1990's we stayed in touch maintaining contact via phone, email or text and the families saw each other over the remaining years.

And so it is with deep sadness that I report the untimely passing of my dearest friend. As fellow pipe smokers I can bet that you too might have a friend who is as close as a brother or sister with whom you share the same passion for our noble hobby and appreciate their kinship. I certainly did.

RIP my friend, you will be dearly missed...

Very sad to hear of the untimely death of your friend. My wife passed away last month at the age of 54. We mourn due to our personal sadness at losing them, but I know for my wife I have been so sad about her passing so early and all the life experience that she will never have. I am sure you are having the same feelings about your friend.

I know there isn't a lot I can say to help, keep busy and celebrate the good times you had.

There is so little to be said to ease the pain of an unexpected loss so close to your heart. I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing and I sincerely hope that you find comfort in your time of mourning.

Our thoughts are with you sir. We've lost too many friends here lately, my heart goes out to you.

Sorry to hear about your friend. My condolences to you and his family.

Lou,
Sorry to hear about your loss!
Smoking one in his honor.......RIP.

It's always a difficult time after you lose a good friend or loved one. Here's hoping the best memories of them remain foremost in you mind.

Jim

Thank you for all of the kind words of comfort, I truly appreciate every one of them. These were about the worst two days of my life, besides when my dad passed.

Home now and regrouping, recouping from an extremely emotional two days.