My greatest $25 Craigslist find ever!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirkT

Reaction score
I have been looking around town for a pipe stand/cabinet/rack and have been unsuccessful at finding anything that tickled my fancy. I had seen some items on Ebay but it seemed a bit too pricey and shipping costs seemed to really add up fast.

Last week plumbernator linked to a Sherlock Holmes Pipe Cabinet. I (like many others) watched it for a time. The auction was ended early as the seller sold the thing for $250 on his Buy it Now auction.

So I kept looking around. I cast my net far and wide. Rather than just looking on Craigslist in Tucson, I also decided to look in Phoenix as well since it's not too far from me (1.5 - 2 hour drive).

Lady luck was finally on my side!

I found the same Sherlock Holmes Pipe Cabinet for a whopping $25! I couldn't believe it was still available when I called the guy.

The inside has been painted green and the door and frame are painted as well.

Here are the pics from the Craigslist ad. I haven't taken any pictures yet. I got home late and didn't want to bust out the camera. I may take some better pics tomorrow.

KqIz8.jpg

SOkSO.jpg

I may end up stripping and staining the cabinet or I may be able to talk my wife into lining the interior with velvet or some other material. I have ZERO carpentry skills so I may not want to get too ambitious. Any thoughts?

I am happy to have the Sherlock glass and a place to finally store my pipes safely!

That was a lucky, lucky find. Very jealous. 8)

I think the red/green motif ain't so bad--a little garish, but festive. :santa:

Wow, what a find! I love the glass on that one. Just repaint the interior dark. Get some Old English while you are at the home store (Lowes, etc.), it is wonderful for reviving an old finish with just a wipe down. It fills in scratches, etc. nicely.
Hang her when done, and lets see a shot with your pipes!

Nice hunting!

I wouldn't worry about the felt. Just place your pipes and they will be ok. That is, as long as the green paint doesn't come off!