My Homemade Pipe Rack

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwelveAMnTX

Reaction score
I really haven't made much of anything since high school, but I have some hand tools & a few machine tools in the garage. I decided to make my own pipe rack out of some left over wood I had in the garage. I wanted to see if I could make it without having to purchase anything. I did pretty good except for having to buy some Forstner bits, because the spade & hole saws were really not cutting it.

Put together & all ready to be stained.
31f7f99e-4aa3-44c3-bc78-df68dea2c3c7_zpslcugi2a3.jpg

After the 1st coat of stain.
d87501ec-af9c-4a35-a6d2-2dedf8a92919_zpswrbfbte5.jpg

After the 2nd coat of stain.
52f0e06f-5f2e-453e-b990-8cd789115ed1_zpsxf4epdpv.jpg

After a coat of wax to shine it up a little.
79e7a1bc-4f09-4c30-a09f-6ca23a3cc66b_zpse4vvnzvf.jpg

This is what it looks like with some pipes on it.
f64d2214-447b-48a0-8456-1f0fd2f73fbc_zpsyyzlxezl.jpg

Thanks for looking!

You've got yourself a nice rack. Wish I had the tools and skills to do something like that. :)

AJ

Nicely done! I have yet to make my own pipe rack...something I should really get to one of these days. Just a thought, if you drill the holes for the screw head down a bit more into the top piece you can use wooden plugs to hide the top giving it a nice finished, all wood look.

I'm more inclined to use dowels, personally, but screws make it more serviceable..

Thanks Ozark Wizard, ajn27511, Brewdude, eklektos44 & Gonzo!

Gonzo":tbb7l3j4 said:
Nicely done! I have yet to make my own pipe rack...something I should really get to one of these days. Just a thought, if you drill the holes for the screw head down a bit more into the top piece you can use wooden plugs to hide the top giving it a nice finished, all wood look.
Yeah I didn't have any wood plugs & the wood putty was dried up. I wanted to try to use only what I had available & not buy anything more than I had to. I was originally going to do as Ozark mentioned & use dowels, but I just said screw it, so I did!

I hear ya there. I make a lot with what i have lying around in scraps from other projects. Unfortunately also leads to me never wanting to get rid of anything that might be even a little useful later on. Your pics finally got me going on building my own however! thanks for putting this up.

Gonzo":5us5e4ql said:
I hear ya there. I make a lot with what i have lying around in scraps from other projects. Unfortunately also leads to me never wanting to get rid of anything that might be even a little useful later on. Your pics finally got me going on building my own however! thanks for putting this up.
You're welcome, I'm glad it served as an inspiration. I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

NICE, NICE piece of work !!! I especially like the lighter, clear finish as opposed to the usual darker finishes one usually sees on racks !! It allows the pipes to shine !! :twisted: :twisted:

I like the way it turned out. I have no craft skills, so I am envious!

monbla256":lhhhq166 said:
NICE, NICE piece of work !!! I especially like the lighter, clear finish as opposed to the usual darker finishes one usually sees on racks !! It allows the pipes to shine  !! :twisted: :twisted:
Thanks monbla256, I had some leftover Golden Oak stain that I used on it. I like the lighter to medium colored wood stains & I'm just glad it came out as good as it did.

Thanks Fatman & Hiram-2011, I took a few years of woodshop in high school & had a good teacher. ;)

Outstanding old boy. I don't know how long that took to build but they would sell well on Ebay. I can't make anything so I have to buy my racks and i know the prices!

Thanks Sid.Stavros & acaciavet!

acaciavet":z9zh1hbz said:
Outstanding old boy. I don't know how long that took to build but they would sell well on Ebay. I can't make anything so I have to buy my racks and i know the prices!
Now that I have the design worked out it probably wouldn't take as long as the first took to make. I don't know about selling them on ebay. There's a lot of used stands always listed for real low prices, but thanks for the compliment.