My Impressions - G.L. Pease Sixpence

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobJ

Reaction score
My impressions after 5 bowls in my Brigham 559 5 dot I've dedicated to VaPers; after a bit of a rocky start I'm really enjoying Sixpence. The cut is sort of a broken flake, the flakes are split lengthwise but still held together if that makes sense, and the flakes are fairly thick. It took me some fiddling around to rub them out well enough, I normally fold and stuff flakes but this tobacco is sliced too thick for that method, for me anyway. I'm still experimenting in an effort to find my best preparation process.

On charring light I initially experienced the chemical harshness I get with many aros on first light (I suspect it's the toppings on this one) and it took a few lights to get going. I think that part was due mostly to my lousy rub out work. After a few minutes of light puffs, and with my turn toward sipping, the flavor started to come through and together with a nice mixture of sweet, earthiness, fruit tastes like raisins and dates with some citrus and a subdued spice on top.

The mixture came together fully for me about half way through the bowl and was true to the end. The tin note is very nice, it burns well, dry, leaving no dottle, but leaving a nice after taste and a pleasant scent that lingered in my mustache and beard reminding me of the great smoke I just enjoyed. My experience with this blend seemed to improve with subsequent bowls so I'll be ordering more.

Sixpence is well worth a try in my book.

Thanks for the review Rob.

I was initially put off on your description of "chemical harshness", but looks like it started to burn off and settled in mid bowl.

Your experience of "a nice mixture of sweet, earthiness, fruit tastes like raisins and dates with some citrus and a subdued spice on top" certainly interests me. How was the moisture level and did you need to dry it first?

Cheers,

RR

Rande, the harshness went away pretty quickly, after maybe ten puffs or so. I have to admit I was initially concerned. Subsequent bowls where better due I think to less drawing effort on my part to get started as my packing method improved with each bowl. The moisture level was fine out of the tin and I didn't find it necessary to dry the tobacco out at all. Hope this helps.

RobJ":c9xh3chm said:
Rande, the harshness went away pretty quickly, after maybe ten puffs or so. I have to admit I was initially concerned. Subsequent bowls where better due I think to less drawing effort on my part to get started as my packing method improved with each bowl. The moisture level was fine out of the tin and I didn't find it necessary to dry the tobacco out at all. Hope this helps.
Good to know Rob. Thanks.

Cheers,

RR

Thanks for the review. Are there any other blends that you could compare it to? The only Va/per I have tried is 4Noggins Prairie Wind. Does it compare in any way?
Cheers?

I've never tried Prairie Wind, sorry. My usual VaPers are Sutliff PS 1849 and Solani 633 and Sixpence isn't really a lot like either of those, but has its own thing going on. I enjoy all three though 633 is the best I've smoked in the category. There are many VaPers out there so it may well be similar to another blend, I really can't say.

Rob, how much perique are we talking about? Also, would you say the perique falls more into that "dark fruit" condiment or the "spicy pepper" sort?

I'm very much in the market for another VaPer with a lot of perique that tends towards that peppery nature. From the few reviews out there, I'm guessing this doesn't quite fit that bill, but I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say.

If you're looking for a peppery blend I believe you won't find it here. The perique is definitely subdued and doesn't deliver much that'll get your attention. It's a pretty well balanced blend and not really very complex.

I'm currently working on a 2oz tin. All I can say is that it has been love at first puff for me. The brandy casing is so pleasant and it complements very well the nice VA & PER combination. Despite the casing being almost dominant, I welcome its quasi-dominance among the flavours released, but I can still taste the tobacco as well.
This one will probably become a favorite. Highly recommended, brothers (and sisters)!