My Local B&M - Jackson, MS

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Max

Reaction score
I've lived in Mississippi for 14 years and I gotta say, it's a pretty nice place to live. I live in Jackson, the capital and largest city, so we have plenty of restaurants and stuff and life can be pretty normal. The food here is tremendous and the people are some of the nicest I've ever met.

We have several tobacco shops that are owned locally and don't have any glass pipes but what they do have is mostly cigars. They do a pretty good job of carrying some pipes and plenty of pipe tobacco.

The Country Squire, on the other hand, is a true tobacconist shop that caters to cigar smokers and pipe smokers equally. I has been here for a very long time owned by a man and wife. The man passed away many years ago and she ran it up until two months ago when she died suddenly at age 89. She was very nice and very knowledgeable - I enjoyed many conversations with her over the years. Her name is Gwen Reeves. The one thing I felt it lacked though was a sitting area where guys could congregate, smoke, talk and relax.

Now they have that. I went in the other day after a very long absence and found men working the shop that I had never seen before. I spoke to JD for a bit, bought some tobacco and went on my way since the sitting area was full. I was coming back by that way yesterday so I thought I'd go in and take some pictures to post for you guys here. I know I'm fortunate to have a B&M just 15 min. from my house so I thought I'd take the time to appreciate here on the BoB.

2012-10-06155637-Copy.jpg

2012-10-06162520-Copy.jpg

2012-10-06162529-Copy.jpg

2012-10-06155704-Copy.jpg

2012-10-06162501-Copy.jpg

I know the pictures aren't very good but, hey, you get what you pay for!

That's a cool shop, man. Glad you have something like that available. 8)

You are indeed fortunate to have something like that in this day and age.

I'd frequent it myself if I was in the area.

Long may shops like that exist.

Cheers,

RR

It's nice to because they do a good business and has even increased with new pipe smokers getting interested. So I think it will be around for awhile.

I may have to take a trip up that way, I am on the beach of mississippi and got my local cigar store to carry tins and he will pretty much get any tin I ask for, he is a really great guy but being a cigar store he has LSU theamed sports room not quite the comfy old leather chairs and wood panneling. Closest store that it snug and has a sit down area is in Covington, LA for me.

Nice shop, and nice to see a local tobacconist thriving in this day and age! :cheers:

i.keenum":y4o0x7kv said:
I may have to take a trip up that way, I am on the beach of mississippi and got my local cigar store to carry tins and he will pretty much get any tin I ask for, he is a really great guy but being a cigar store he has LSU theamed sports room not quite the comfy old leather chairs and wood panneling. Closest store that it snug and has a sit down area is in Covington, LA for me.
We'd be glad to have you come up. It's not too far off the Interstate, maybe a mile or two.

What's the name of the place in Covington?

You are making me home sick when you talk about Covington. I lived right outside of there in a small town named Abita Springs until I was 12. Maybe those of you not from Louisiana have seen Abita beer?

The residents of New Orleans would bring empty milk jugs to our town and fill them at the artesian well. I guess the water was good enough to start the brewery.

Familiar with abita my grandma lives in lacombe. Their beer is good too

Cool shop! Will have to talk to the owner of my B&M to get a comfy leather couch in, though!

In the 80's, there was a tobacco shop in Harrisonburg called The Pipe Den. It was a great shop with everything including a large round table that everyone would sit around and smoke and talk. He had coffee for .25 a cup and he would also keep cleaned pipes in case you didn't have one on had and wanted to partake. I can't remember the guy's name who owned it but he was very comfortable to be around and made everyone feel welcome. Funny thing was, he didn't smoke.

I had always wanted the Country Squire to have this same feeling so I was very happy to see they had made a nice sitting area with a TV. I hope they continue to encourage loitering and add more seating.