My love/hate relationship with Virginia Flake.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greasemunki85

Reaction score
First of all, let me state, I started out on Aromatics, goopy, wet, PG laden' aromatics - mainly : Tinderbox blends : midnight (still a good smoke, for being goopy, Black Tie, Mocha, ect. you get the picture, anything with a good ol' vanilla roomnote, and a harsh taste, that in all honesty didn't taste like much of vanilla or chocolate, most of the time, unless the moisture in the air, and my packing was aligned with the moon and 6 other planets.
This was a problem. (Nothing wrong if you like aros, I still love Lane RLP6, its one of my all time favs, and holds a special place in my heart)
After reading on this forum, talking to a few guys, I tried some English blends, first it was Tinderbox Coventry, moved to Mccleland Coyote Classic, and searched out for more Latakia heavy blends, loving this strange new style of tobacco(to me).
I finally settled on a few that I liked, in a few choice Cornell and Diehl Blends.
During that time off and on, I had a local tobacconist, that I bought alot of blends, pipes from. He was always smoking a matured Virginia flake and he seemed to be hardcore into it, and thats cool, but I was still kinda in between aro's and englishs, and I felt sometimes he was pushing VA flake on me.
I asked him to finally recommend a VA flake. It was a McCleland 2010 Classic Virginia.. and I absolutely hated it (at the time.) It tasted to me like I was licking the bottom of an ash tray.
Then again, last summer I tried Mac Baren Vanilla Flake..and once again I was let down...It just didn't taste like much. I found a diamond in the rough so I thought, with McCleland 2000 Fragrant Mature Cake, and I have been smoking this for the past year, not exclusive, but quiet a bit, nonetheless.
I went back and tried McCleland 2010, again, and I felt aside from FMC, I would not get/understand Virginias, or why any of you guys would wanna smoke em'
I ordered a 1 oz sample of Stokkebye Navy Flake, which I posted in the PAD/TAD section tonight, and ..holy wow..I loaded it up in my brand new Tsuge, and went to town, I rubbed it out and packed it using the frank method, and it came alive in that little Tsuge.
Full Flavors of raisin, rum, hay, even a tad of a vanilla taste, really did me in.
I've never only used 3 matches, the entire course of a pipe.

It takes me a few matches (anywhere from 4 to 8 the entire bowl, im not gonna lie, im not perfect when it comes to packing.)
I'm not sure if all the planets aligned tonight or what, but I used 3 matches, in a brand new pipe, and walked away from that smoke, feeling totally mellowed , at peace with earth, and everything was right...
Possibly that pipe is the Forrest to Navy Flakes Jenny.. Im not sure, but I cant wait to rest this pipe, to try it again, and see if its a fluke...
I finally can say I found a Flake, that I really enjoy, and quiet possibly one of the best and smoothest tasting blends ive ever experienced.
Thought I would share my honest experience with you guys, I felt compelled to write after that bowl... jeez!
Its that "aha" moment, that keeps you coming back sometimes..
Cheers guy! here is to a great 2013!

Anybody have any similar experiences?

Sometimes it takes the light a while to come on.

But once it does, you're illuminated :lol!:

:face:

Yak":1ep2y72v said:
Sometimes it takes the light a while to come on.

But once it does, you're illuminated :lol!:

:face:
pretty much. one of the first tobaccos i got was Bullseye flake. tasted like the air from a heated up ashtray. i put it away for a few months and smoked it again, after i started not liking my aro's. i was outside puffing away smiling. it was just fantastic! i could finally taste things that i read about on reviews! :heart: - me on VA and Vaper

One of the first Virginia's I tried was MacBaren Navy Flake. I smoke it in a little 98S Kaywoodie Super Grain bulldog, that I have dedicated to that particular blend. As you say, all the planets align and that pipe sings every time I load her up. 8)