My New Tamper

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip48

Reaction score
Just thought about these the other day and I have a good supply from shooting and this one is from a .257 Weatherby Mag. Now if I can just figure out how or what to do to the open end to make it useful too.

Picture shows it bigger than it really is, LOL!

Skip

DSC05393.jpg

I used to carry a 25-06 case with a spent primer and a hole drilled through the base on my keyring. It was confiscated at the airport in Tokyo. That was before security checks in US became what they are today.

Steve

A .257 Weatherby was one of the first guns I shot as a teenager. I just received a new catalog from them last week. :cheers:

I have three tampers (all gifts) made from spent cartridge cases. One has a deer antler insert & the other two turned wood. You can also put in a half circle of stout wire & fill the rim with epoxy putty & make a key ring of it.

Never heard of spent casings being used as tampers, but I always see keyrings with cartriges on them for sale at c-stores and such.

When I started off on the pipe and didn't know better, I was using my chapstick.

I've seen the cartridge idea before. Makes perfect sense.

I just use that little pipe tool that says "made in the czech republic" on it.

Hurts a lot less than when I just used my finger.

I use a nice piece of fire cured oak from my 21st birthday bonfire with a .40cal spent casing from my training in the academy for the REACT team when I was in corrections. Perfect fit every time ;).

Sometimes I use a spent 45-70 case which works very well at home. A few years ago JohnnyFlake gifted me a spent .223 case with a (removable) wooden golf tee inverted in the neck. It's real handy for carrying in the pocket due to its light weight. The golf tee is handy for removing ash and unburnt tobacco.

Jim

The newer guys like me, may also like this older post from another brother pipemaker (PipeAtelierYashtylov).

I luv the pictures we have on file at the BoB, It's a real shame once they are deleted.

150475703.jpg

152086009.jpg

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t4058-incredible-pipes-from-russia

Viktor Yashtylov... i am an absolute fan of his work - the guy is crazy in a very very positive way... :) check his tamper he made "Time is endless"
those tampers in the thread starter are awsome... really...!!! :)

dcfnkw.jpg

15pldgz.jpg

t7hj85.jpg

tNd":p6ypakcr said:
Viktor Yashtylov... i am an absolute fan of his work - the guy is crazy in a very very positive way... :) check his tamper he made "Time is endless"
Just brilliant. :) I don't even like custom tamp devices/tools too much, but that one got my blood going. :D

i can imagine - this one was a lot of work.. i am not fascinated about the tamper itself but the amount of energy and craftsmanship needed to produce such a piece... :)
put's everything aside related tampers i have ever seen... :)

tNd":i6c0rehw said:
i can imagine - this one was a lot of work.. i am not fascinated about the tamper itself but the amount of energy and craftsmanship needed to produce such a piece... :)
put's everything aside related tampers i have ever seen... :)
I just noticed the little pipe etched into it!!! I dig details like that. 8)

as i said... the guy is really one of my favourite pipemakers... not so well known but the level of details and craftsmanship is marvelous... :)

Kyle Weiss":dm8n1k6l said:
Boulder, those are slick...Who did those? A guy on the forum?

Works from some of the Russian BoB members.

Speaking to the shell casing tamper idea ... it could actually be a dual purpose smoke tool as the open end could be used as a cigar punch cutter. Sharpen the open end and then fashion a suitable cover for that end and you have a pipe tamper and punch cutter. :)