My new 'Three-Pete' Pipe Stand

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
This is the third stand I've made. It just stood to reason after I acquired three new Peterson Bulldogs, a trio that I've lusted over for a long, long time - that I needed a special stand for 'em...am I right? Well, since we define these things for ourselves...the answer is obviously yes.

The only other thing I'll say is that I make a lot of 'stuff'. And one of the quiding principles of the way I approach these things is that I use scraps to make nice things...wood from the bin...brass from a sawn up chunk a friend gave me...a piece of antler also given me by a friend. And it takes time. I do one part and then look at it for a long time...sometimes weeks. I had a totally different top rest made for it. All done. But I tossed it in favor of the antler...which when it came to me looked like it was about 300 years old. I'd never worked with antler much before...and the photos below absolutely don't do this stuff justice. I sanded the heck out of it and then went at it with the buffer. Gents...this stuff, up close and to touch and feel it...it's like mammoth ivory! It looks FANTASTIC!

What took the longest? The damn Celtic design on the Rosewood. Jeez, I hate doing that...but it really needed to be there.

OK...blah, blah, blah...here it is:

PeteStandandStemCleaning004.jpg

PeteStandandStemCleaning008.jpg

PeteStandandStemCleaning009.jpg

Dammit you do nice work! That's a fine pipe rest, to be sure.

Very cool! I really like the antler and the Celtic design. A great looking stand for three great looking pipes :cheers:

Wow! That thing is fantastic! Better keep all your future goodies to yourself or some people around hear may start having you work for them!

They can't afford me. I do almost everything with hand tools...old world techniques...and an item like this could easily have 30 to 40 hours in it. If you do the math, it soon becomes apparent that not many guys want to pony up what a piece like this would cost. The fact that it's a singular item usually doesn't seem to register. Well, c'est la vie.

BTW: I very much appreciate your kind words and those of my other bros as well.

BH, that is a well executed idea for three really nice pipes. Very nicely done. 8)

Blackhorse":ff273qjw said:
They can't afford me. I do almost everything with hand tools...old world techniques...and an item like this could easily have 30 to 40 hours in it. If you do the math, it soon becomes apparent that not many guys want to pony up what a piece like this would cost. The fact that it's a singular item usually doesn't seem to register. Well, c'est la vie.

BTW: I very much appreciate your kind words and those of my other bros as well.
You sell yourself waaay tooo short! Jump on the "Artisan" bandwagon and you'd be able to quit your day job :p But on a more realistic note, I REALLY like this stand, better than the "Samari" one you showed previously. The contrasting fronts and "celtic knot" carving were THE touch along with the brass P and antler. All in all a very nice and well designed and executed piece of work PERIOD :p

I just wanted to come in and say that that stand is totally bad ass.

The stand is beautiful.

The pipes you chose to put in it made it unbelievably stunning.

The talent here at BoB humbles me. Nice, nice work. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

8)

Thanks...all y'all. Very kind. It begs the question...which came first, the Petes or the stand. Whatever.

Re: the 'brasswork'. Yeah, that was nearly the easiest part of the while shebang. Find a nice image on the internet, print it the right size, put contact cement on the metal and on the back side of the paper...let dry...then slap 'em together. Drill appropriate holes with a cool DeWalt LiIon cordless, connect the dots with a good coping or jeweler's saw, grind and file edges smooth with dremel & sanding drums, then Swiss pattern half round needle files...sand til you cry...then buff. Simple. The real trick is getting the right image to start.

The "P" is tabbed both above and below, into the Rosewood and antler, about 3/8" and epoxied into place with DevCon. I think the brass would warp and twist before those gave...and it's a good 3/16". I'm very lucky to have good friends that are willing to dump good scrap material on me now and then.

Again...thanks. It means a lot to me.

I second what all of the other Brothers have said and add very very impressive! You have some skills.

It's funky, but cool.
On it's own, I couldn't tell if I liked it, but once the pipes were in place, the whole thing came together.
Nice work.