My new to me Pete

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vodomagoo

Reaction score
My 2nd Pete I own, a Shannon 80s Got it today and it was in great shape except for some oxidation. Restored the stem and am in love with it. Any one have an idea on what color the p on the stem should be from the factory?
Untitled by Vodomagoo_golf, on Flickr

Sweet Pete! :cheers:

I love the bulldog's and rhodesian's. My guess on the factory logo would be gold.

The current Shannon has a gold P embosed in the stem. BTW, a model # of 80s would indicate a Saddle Stem so it looks like yours is a replacemenet stem .

my 2 favorite pete shapes are the 80s and 999 and i have seen 2 examples show up on here lately.... pad is going to be striking again. crap.

ya know, when I first started getting into pipe smoking way WAY back in February of 012 I didnt care for Bulldogs or Rhodesians. But now that I am so much older and much more mature in all manner of pipeism I kinda sorta dig 'em.

cool pipe

Hater":n7xndpmq said:
ya know, when I first started getting into pipe smoking way WAY back in February of 012 I didnt care for Bulldogs or Rhodesians. But now that I am so much older and much more mature in all manner of pipeism I kinda sorta dig 'em.

cool pipe
LOL, yeah I totally know where you are coming from. That is part of the fun of the hobby for me. In the three years I have smoked a pipes, my preferences have changed several times in the way of blends and pipes. The great thing is that you can always sell or trade pipes and tobaccos when you tire of them and get what you want!

-Scott

monbla256":lupnjgq1 said:
The current Shannon has a gold P embosed in the stem. BTW, a model # of 80s would indicate a Saddle Stem so it looks like yours is a replacemenet stem .
I have seen plenty of them with the full bit. I think 80s distinguishes the diamond shank from the round shank of the 999. I love my 80s. Its one of my best smokers.

I don't think I've EVER seen an 80s with anything but the diamond shank as shown in your photo...also did a google search on 'Shannon 80s' and every image came up the same. Of course this doesn't mean that they weren't make with a Lovat. I recently picked up a Killarny 150 on fleaBay with a Lovat pLip stem...and I think they're now doing the diamond shape that looks like the one on this 80s...it might depend on the vintage...so i don't think there's a right or wrong here. Either way it's a damn fine pipe. I've recently fallen in love with the many versions of Pete's Dogs and Rhoddys...there's just something about 'em...and my favorites are those with the diamond shank. On the smooth tapered stems the way the lines of the shank and then the stem flow back toward the bit, forming planes...triangular shapes...is brilliant. My only wish is that I didn't like them quite so much! lol

Dave_In_Philly":tzx0u2vy said:
I have seen plenty of them with the full bit. I think 80s distinguishes the diamond shank from the round shank of the 999. I love my 80s. Its one of my best smokers.
From what I've seen on different websites, it looks to me like the ones dubbed 80 have a tapered stem and the 80s has a saddle bit...I assume the "s" stands for saddle. Some sites have ones dubbed 80s with the tapered stem but I think thats a mistake. Idk could be wrong.

Edit: yup thats it, just looked at the peterson shape chart and there was an 80s there with a saddle bit...it didn't have the 80, but every pipe on the list with a saddle bit had an "s" designation.

Boxerbuddy":fiwhha06 said:
Dave_In_Philly":fiwhha06 said:
From what I've seen on different websites, it looks to me like the ones dubbed 80 have a tapered stem and the 80s has a saddle bit...I assume the "s" stands for saddle. Some sites have ones dubbed 80s with the tapered stem but I think thats a mistake. Idk could be wrong.

Edit: yup thats it, just looked at the peterson shape chart and there was an 80s there with a saddle bit...it didn't have the 80, but every pipe on the list with a saddle bit had an "s" designation.
I don't want to use mine as an example because it does have a replacement stem, but it has a tappered bit and its stamped 80s. If you do a google image search for Peterson 80s most of the hits are for tappered bits. Even sites like smokingpipes don't distinguish between the saddle bit and tappered bit. Unless the person who sold the pipe in the OP indicated it had a replacement stem I'm pretty sure its the real deal.

The factory standard bit on an 80s is a Saddle Bit. The current Shannon is not shown in the 80s shape anymore, just the 150 straight Bulldog with a taper bit. I have both an 80 bent bulldog (Premier bought in 1975) AND an 80s Emerald bought in the early 80's. The Premier came with a Tapered fishtail bit and the Emerald had a Saddle Bit. The factory offered replacement bits in BOTH styles with the Saddle Bits being mostly fishtails. Take a look at the most current Catalog at the styles available in each Range and you will see the designation of the lower case s indicating a Saddle Bit. But Peterson was (and still is) not known for absolute concistency in it's various styles except for it's Standard System range over the decades. That's one of the things that appeals to true Pete collectors :p

http://www.peterson.ie/pipes/aran.html

Nice find, I have always loved that shape with the Petersons. Best of luck with your new addition.

I have an 80 bent bulldog (Premier bought in 1975)
Ditto.

Great minds run in the same channels !

The 80S always had a saddle stem back in the day. Ever since they changed hands and had (I think) Preben Holm design them a bunch of new shapes/stems/materials/finishes (&c.), who knows.

The inlaid gold "P" on the stem would seem to indicate an old one (they dropped it in a cost-cutting move ; used to be Supremes, DeLuxes and Premieres had them), unless they've resurrected that.

The beading on the bowl is definitely indicative of a newer one (or a basement re-finishing). They used to do it properly (i.e., the rings were turned after the stummel was completely finished, leaving the edges sharp & crisp) ; since, they've gone to the Dunhill look -- sanding the stummel after turning the rings leaves them blurry & blobby looking.

:face: