My new (used) Brigham bought on Ebay

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueview

Reaction score
This is a used (used once according to the ad) Brigham Freehand #463 purchased on ebay for $57 after fending off another bidder who had his eye on it. It is in like new condition and has a metal tenon. This is my 3rd Brigham. I have 2 with the metal tenon and one with the delrin tenon. I like the aluminum tenon better than the delrin. This is now my favorite pipe in my extremely limited collection. It has 4 dots on the stem, the word Brigham on the left side of the shank and 463 on the bottom of the shank. I think I got a good deal. What say you fellows?

The one and only pipe I sold from my collection was a Brigham Acadian, and man, do I ever regret it. Your Brigham has got me wanting mine back. Very nice. Don't be surprised if you see a post about "My New Brigham" from me, in the near future.

Rusty Mouse":k0lq8cgc said:
The one and only pipe I sold from my collection was a Brigham Acadian, and man, do I ever regret it. Your Brigham has got me wanting mine back. Very nice. Don't be surprised if you see a post about "My New Brigham" from me, in the near future.
They are good smokers and the only filter system that I use and like. The Brighams aren't works of art but they provide a good smoke at an affordable price.

Good luck finding yourself a nice Brigham. I have a new bent apple Algonquin but the new ones have the delrin tenon. Try to find yourself a nice estate Brigham with the aluminum shank. I think you'll like it better.

I have two of the new Brighams and I'm curious as to why you prefer the aluminum tenon

DrT999":3urgntt8 said:
I have two of the new Brighams and I'm curious as to why you prefer the aluminum tenon
My preference is subjective but there are a few things I've noticed that lead me to my preference for the aluminum tenon.

1) I notice that there is more moisture on the maple filter when using the metal tenon pipes for any given tobacco then there is for the same tobacco smoked in my delrin tenon. This leads me to believe that there is a correlation between the tenon and condensation.

2) The fit of the tenon into the shank seems to be smoother with the metal tenon and it is easier to remove the stem when the pipe is cold with the metal tenon. This leads me to believe that the delrin tenon is slightly thicker than the metal tenon because the plastic is more prone to expanding and contracting when hot or cold. If the thickness were the same as the metal tenon I believe the tenon would become too loose when the pipe was cold. (I have not put a micrometer to use to make this assertion. It is purely speculation on my part. YMMV).

Having said all this, I am pleased with the performance of both types. Given the same pipes in the same condition I would opt for the metal tenon based on my subjective analysis.