My newest Pete.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
An Estate Killarney Red Rhodesian 150 with the Lovat style stem (they now come with a different stem deslgn). $50 via eBay.

NewPete1800x6002.jpg

Great looking Pete BH, I,ve been trying to snag a 999. MIKE

I've got two pipes in what is likely the bent version of the 150...the B5. They are my new darlings. That and the XL25 (I think it is) which is 'almost' the same, but not quite due to a different bowl height. I was actually looking for a 150 as I wanted that specific shape as a foil to the B5's. Only bad thing is the p-lip, which I dislike. I went ahead due to a post I saw recently in which a bloke 'adjusted' the p-lip (I think of it as the pee lip...yeeks) by taking the button back to having only the last...what...maybe 1/32" or something...of the button remaining, and it was a near perfect fish tail. I mean, I love the LOOK of the p-lip...industrial sculpted beauty that it is...but not smoking it. This other guy had the same experience I did...no tongue bite at all, just a hot blasted hole in the roof of his mouth!

I like my p-lip when i am able to hold the pipe in hand rather than clenching because i just rest the indentation of the lip on my bottom lip and sip away. I can see where a clenched p lip would rest on the roof of your mouth, but if i keep my teeth right next to the button this doesn't happen.

Well, it doesn't exactly rest on the roof of the mouth...but the inhaled smoke is surely directed right in that direction. Either way...as I'm a clencher and not a holder...it's not good.

Blackhorse":yhqvmcro said:
I've got two pipes in what is likely the bent version of the 150...the B5. They are my new darlings. That and the XL25 (I think it is) which is 'almost' the same, but not quite due to a different bowl height. I was actually looking for a 150 as I wanted that specific shape as a foil to the B5's. Only bad thing is the p-lip, which I dislike. I went ahead due to a post I saw recently in which a bloke 'adjusted' the p-lip (I think of it as the pee lip...yeeks) by taking the button back to having only the last...what...maybe 1/32" or something...of the button remaining, and it was a near perfect fish tail. I mean, I love the LOOK of the p-lip...industrial sculpted beauty that it is...but not smoking it. This other guy had the same experience I did...no tongue bite at all, just a hot blasted hole in the roof of his mouth!
I'm in complete agreement with you about P-Lips, not a fave of mine either. That's why I have had replacement wide fishtails made for all of mine that came with P-Lips. Even my father's Pre-Republics that came with P-Lips. I just put the originals away in a box in the drawer and smoke 'em with my stem that I like ! Costs a bit, but has been worth the cost to me. Would be easier and probably faster than doin' it yourself and takin achance :p

I'm thinkin' taking the stem down to the correct length to make it a modified fishtail wou;d be thirty minutes work. Aside from the aspect of having to go without the pipe for a bit (sorry about that) one could always have the new stem done if it went totally awry...and it honestly looks as easy as sanding the p-lip extention off the end - straight back to 'almost' the face of the button. It should be easy...with the proper care and caution.

I'll likely not use my belt sander and stick with smaller files and then successive grits of paper, then buff it out.

Just goes to show how different we all are on the debate of p-lips vs fishtails.

All of my Petes are p-lips and I have never had any issue with them. While they do tend to draw a bit firmer I just pack accordingly and they smoke just fine.

As always, ymmv.

Cheers,

RR

Blackhorse":28h0oykw said:
And I HATE using a pipe cleaner on 'em either before, during or after smoking!!!
AMEN, AMEN !! And they are too rounded and thick for my dentures :p