My Penzance came in.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christeaux

Reaction score
So my penzance came in this afternoon, and I have to say that it was great from start to finish. To start, the smell of it in the bag was great, and I like how when I went to rub it out it just crumbled in my hand. I have never found a blend with with orientals that I enjoyed but in this blend I have to say that I did enjoy their role. It had a musty and smoky quality that reminded me of days back at my great grandfather's place. Their was a note that I couldn't quite make out when exhaling out of my nose, I liked it but I couldn't place it, and when the bowl was getting low I couldn't detect it any more, I'm hoping to be able to put my finger on it within the next few bowls. I have to say that next to my nightcap this is probably going to be my favorite blend. Well I have rambled enough so I'm going to turn in.

I opened a tin of Penzance, loaded a bowl and lit up. YUCK! WTF!!!!! This crap tastes like mentholated pig shit would probably taste!
I jarred the stuff and let it sit with the lid off the jar for about 9 hours. Now the stuff is smokable but it still ain't nothing I'd write home about.
The real pity is that I've got three tins of this stuff. Over a few years I'll probably smoke the one I jarred but I'll be buying no more of it. Just ain't for me.
Maybe I can trade this stuff for a few ounces of Lancers Slices or a couple tins of SG Navy Flake.

Puff Daddy":vsk4g9zd said:
williamcharles":vsk4g9zd said:
This crap tastes like mentholated pig shit
:cheers: best review ever!! :lol:
That is one of the most honest and sincere tobacco reviews I think i've ever read. I haven't tried this one yet, but now i'm curious...

I might have to try and locate a sample or two to try in my Experimental Cob - the MM Cob I try uncertain blends in.

I loved all the penzance i tried. This all after about a 24 hour drying period! That stuff ships MOIST!!! But, obviously from the post above ymmv. haha

I am sitting on the back porch at the moment smoking a little Penzance.

After smoking primarily FVF for the past month, I am surprised how light the nicotine is in the Penzance.

The note through the nose often reminds me of when the scouting troop would throw pine needles on the campfire.

J Soshae":tq6orh77 said:

After smoking primarily FVF for the past month, I am surprised how light the nicotine is in the Penzance.

The note through the nose often reminds me of when the scouting troop would throw pine needles on the campfire.
That could be it, I will smoking another bowl tonight in about a half hour so I will get another crack at it then. Unfortunately I didnt get to spend much time with the boy scouts, apparently bringing your gun and a trap for getting dinner is frowned upon when you go camping :confused:

J Soshae":exq4breq said:

Along this same note, as I was finishing off my tin of And so to bed, also by esoterica, I kept getting the feeling that I had washed my pipe with pine-sol. VERY Piney through the nose, but this only really came out through the second half of the tin when it dried out maybe a little too much.

jefe1037":d0g8gj2s said:
J Soshae":d0g8gj2s said:

Along this same note, as I was finishing off my tin of And so to bed, also by esoterica, I kept getting the feeling that I had washed my pipe with pine-sol. VERY Piney through the nose, but this only really came out through the second half of the tin when it dried out maybe a little too much.
I'd have to agree. I bought a tin at a B&M in Dallas about a year ago, smoked it all and was given one for Christmas this past year and I'd have to say it's made from quality tobacco but I think there are several other Balkan blends that are much better out there! It does have the "... I'm unavailable so I'm fabulous" sort of aura I'll give ya that :p

"Metholated pig shit" -- now THAT is classic.

Personally, I wouldn't go quite that far, but I would say that -- according strictly to me tastes -- Penzance is one of the two most overrated blends on the market right now (the other being Full Virginia Flake). I do believe it's something that is quite unique, and if it disappears there will be a lot of unhappy folks with nothing to scratch that particular itch. But I can think of a dozen English blends I enjoy far more. The flavor ranges from OK to sublime depending on my mood and the pipe I use, but I just don't feel it's bold enough or strong enough for my tastes. It does have that peat-iodine thing going on, but otherwise it's just .... well, kind of bland (which is more or less my feeling on FVF, as well).

I certainly ain't gonna twist anyone's arm to try/like/re-try Penzance and "get it" (...I've had enough people do that Jonestown-style with FVF, and it kind of creeped me out--I just didn't get the hype...) but on the other hand, I don't see the same kind of rallying hype with Penzance that I do with FVF, either. Yeah, there's fans, but it's not an on-a-pedestal blend like FVF. Makes me wonder why the silly hyperbole (funny as it is...). :lol:

Popularity does a lot of things to...well, anything, and one facet is a contrarian base. A lot of folks just pony up the yang to the herd's yin. Why? I'unno. A strange phenom. I see it happen all the time, not only with tobacco.

Because something is popular doesn't mean it's hype, and just because it's hyped doesn't mean it's good--and because it isn't making headlines doesn't mean it sucks, either.

Find what you like and smoke it happily. 8) Penzance can stick around my meager cellar.