My personal holy grail of pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leftover421

Reaction score
I know some of you are going to laugh that I consider a mass-made pipe to be my holy grail of pipe over some rare hand carved one of a kind but this pipe just speaks to me with naughty pillow talk.
I was just killing time browsing the Peterson web site not really looking for anything in particular when I browsed my way into the silver cap line. I'm pretty sure I have browsed this section before but at the time I was looking for an affordable Pete to ad to my humble collection. I probably just scanned the section because I know silver adds a lot of cost to the pipe.
One of the big reasons I love this Pete is the hinged cap. I like to load up some baccy to smoke with the owner of the local B&M. I usually load up my pipe at home, throw a wind cap on it to keep the baccy from falling out and hustle on over to my B&M for a friendly relaxing smoke. I do the same thing when I go to a family get together, when I go out to dinner, or even when I’m out shopping. I love a pre-loaded pipe for the busy moments and a hinged silver cap just seems to be the next step in ready relaxation.
Anyways I guess this thread would be useless without pictures of my Holy Grail pipe. There just some pics gleaned from online sources but hopefully someday I will be able to take pictures of this pipe in person right after I have the first bowl out of it!

My Holy Grail pipe is the Peterson Silver Cap 106

I love peterson pipes and this one is certainly no laughing matter. They only apply sterling caps and hinged lids on the finest briar bowls. And the shape 106 is the epitome of a billiard shape IMO. That is a pipe of exceptional quality. Rare hand carved pipes are no better than this example from Peterson. I hope you get to acquire one and enjoy it in the very near future. :D

The only Peterson I've ever bid for on ebay was a silver capped pipe, and I did not win. I can understand wanting one, and that tan pipe you pictured looks amazing.

As has been ponted out, Peterson only uses Premium briar for this line and when you get yours, you'll have a pipe that's one of the best. And that is an excellent rendition of the classic Billiard. Keep us posted when you get it :p

So, you just leave the cap open to smoke it I assume?

Beautiful pipe btw brother, can't go wrong with a Pete IMO

I went to the tobacco village today cause they carry Pete's altho they didn't have the 999 I went to look at for some reason this pipe has been haunting my thoughts I think it is beggin to be on my rack!

Sharp pipe. I've been putting off picking up a Pete for quite some time, but after looking at that pic I'll have to check out the capped models again.

My holy grail for pipes is to have a holy grail of pipes. I can never decide...

... 8)

Thank you all for your encouraging words. I just hope I can be strong enough to save my meager PAD/TAD budget for a few months so I can start my search in earnest for the perfect Peterson Silver Cap 106.

I would ask you for some help in maintaining my will power to save my money up but I already know your will power to not have a PAD attack is just as bad as mine. :lol: I have many pipes on my wish list that are a fifth the price of the Silver Cap and all it will take is for the local B&M to toss me a 10% discount on one of them for me to screw up my saving for that month. Rinse and repeat the process a couple of months later and it could easily take me a year to save up for the Silver Cap so don't expect it to be my very next PAD picture post. I can tell you though that I will own a Pete SC 106 and you will get pictures, many many pictures! :cheers:

Whenever I find myself wanting to save for a big ticket item, the only way I can manage it is to withdraw whatever amount it is I want to save in cash and literally "hide" it from myself. The money is then inaccessible until you're ready to make your purchase. Ask your wife (provided she is responsible with money) if she will hide say $100 a month that you give her. When you have enough loot saved up cash out and buy your pipe.

That is a great selection to make your Holy Grail pipe. I love silver capped pipes. I didn't realize that Peterson only applies the caps to their higher grades, but that certainly makes sense. Keep us posted on your journey and good luck!

Beautiful! I have two Peterson's 106's but none with a silver cap. To me, that shape is the perfect representation of the billiard shape.

I live my silver lidded Pete. It is in the 03 shape. Take a gander:

102_0079.jpg

leftover 421 said:

"I would ask you for some help in maintaining my will power to save my money up but I already know your will power to not have a PAD attack is just as bad as mine."

No, in fact it's probably worse; my wife is considering setting a Nanny Guard type of block on Ebay... :no:

It matters not if your Holy Grail is a corn cob or a gold spigot mount, group 6, ODA DRR from Dunhill it's your Holy Grail and it's important to you and that what counts, lovely pipe.