My pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

"sam"

Reaction score

First time trying to post a picture...may or may not work, and the iphone camera isn't quite a leica. I purchased new the stanwell, pete and sav. The rest of the bunch were my dad's and grandpa's pipes.

I like that multi-pipe rest. Not really a pipe stand so to say. It's a clever idea too.

I did notice the pipes first though and that's a nice collection you have.

Cool!
I like the Charatans.
What's the second pipe in the stand ( the smooth one with the plateaux rim)?

Nice set of pipes. I to like the Charatans, especially what looks like a Belvedere Apple :p And it's nice to see a brother who does not have Pipe OCD and has pipes with un-polished stems and charred rims :p A SMOKER :twisted: :twisted:

Thank you for the kind words,
Harlock, that pipe you asked about is a Willmer straight grain AAA standard, and I believe it dates from the 60s or 70s, not sure though.
Monbla, thank you for incidentally introducing me to Royal Yacht and Georges Simenon. Also, I have a question about that Charatan you commented on...I'm trying to determine if it is "TRUE" Charatan or one manufactured after the Lane era...I don't see a Lane stamp on it, but have also read that isn't always definitive. It was allegedly purchased by my dad at a pipe shop in the US in the late 70s. I believe that should mark it as one produced before the factory/company changed hands...it reads: "Charatan's Make London England Perfection, and "2122DC" on the other side. It has the CP marking on the bit as well as the reg number "203573." I could care less about the value/collectibility except in terms of its quality, so to speak.
Thanks again and any help by you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.

"sam"":u6osiwbv said:
Thank you for the kind words,
Harlock, that pipe you asked about is a Willmer straight grain AAA standard, and I believe it dates from the 60s or 70s, not sure though.
Monbla, thank you for incidentally introducing me to Royal Yacht and Georges Simenon. Also, I have a question about that Charatan you commented on...I'm trying to determine if it is "TRUE" Charatan or one manufactured after the Lane era...I don't see a Lane stamp on it, but have also read that isn't always definitive. It was allegedly purchased by my dad at a pipe shop in the US in the late 70s. I believe that should mark it as one produced before the factory/company changed hands...it reads: "Charatan's Make London England Perfection, and "2122DC" on the other side. It has the CP marking on the bit as well as the reg number "203573." I could care less about the value/collectibility except in terms of its quality, so to speak.
Thanks again and any help by you or anyone else would be greatly appreciated.
If it has a Reg. number on it it probably pre-dates Lane. Also, lane did not sell or distribute Caharatans in Europe when they were the US distributor so it also could be one of those. I have a couple of "Reg. No." Charatan's which I bought back in the early 70's which did not have a "Lane" symbol on them. The pipe world was quite a "mishmash" back then and not as orderly as we all think it was. What series is your Apple BTW ? As far as Charatan's go, many folks claim" ... they were miss-drilled Golf Clubs" :twisted: Don't know about that, just that they have been some of the BEST pipes I own ! I've around 20 of 'em :twisted:

The Apple is stamped "Perfection." It may have been from when Dunhill owned the company? I have a couple more with the Lane stamp, but I think the Apple is a truly handsome pipe. I'm going to send it and a few others out for cleaning..my dad and his dad were a bit lax with pipe maintenance. The Willmer is probably my best smoker, but the Apple is my favorite.

That's a real sweet collection. I like the blasted Comoy bent. Neat!