My pipes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebiz

Reaction score
Hey all! In the thread where I introduced myself in the Welcome Wagon forum, one of the members asked me to post pics of me and my pipes. Well, I might post a pic or two of me later. But, not right now!!

The pipes that I have are nothing fancy... by any stretch of the imagination! And, they all came in a package deal of estate pipes on Ebay. They are the first pipes that I've owned in over 20 years. And, I'm trying to convert from a cigarette smoker to a pipe smoker.

Things are going pretty well so far. I am getting much better at smoking my pipe slower... like a pipe should be smoked!

Enough about me... here's my lot:

Molina Bent... the prettiest one of the bunch (IMHO):

Dr. Grabow bent... until tonight I thought it my best smoker:

Yello Bole full bent:

It's in very good condition except for the scorched rim shown here... BTW, it came to me like this:

Finally, the ugly mutt of the bunch... a Dr. Grabow straight Grand Duke. I didn't figure I would like smoking a straight pipe. So, until tonight, I'd not smoked it. But, after smoking it tonight, I think it is going to be my favorite... despite it's ugly damage:

Okay guys... Is my Grand Duke worth fixing?? Or, is it pretty much toast?? If it is pretty much toast, I guess I'll start looking for another one. I'd almost be tempted to trade the other three for a good straight Grand Duke!! I like it that much!!

BTW, I also purchased an Italian made, estate, curved churchwarden. I don't have it yet... should get it some time this week. I'm excited about the idea of getting it and trying it out. I don't have any pictures of it that I made. But, here's a couple of pics of it from the Ebay auction where I bought it:

As you can see in the last pic of the CW, it says, "RELAX ITALY." Do any of you happen to know anything about the manufacturer or about this particular CW?

Thanks for looking! And, I welcome any and all comments, criticisms, and suggestions! I look forward to reading your comments... good... and bad!! ;)

Robert

I too have a full bent Molina. It's an excellent smoker and one of my favorites.

She's becoming a good smoker for me. Actually, I figure she was a good smoker when I got her. I figure that twas probably I who drew first blood by puffing her too hard and fast... in true cigarette smoker style... and caused her to bite me pretty hard on the tongue!! I'll be giving her another try sometime in the next day or two. I want to keep her around. IMHO, she is definitely a fine, beautiful, sexy looking lady!!! ;)

though not a cigarette smoker, i too puff too quickly and have really had to learn to slow down. (got a lot of tips from these guys on the forum.) once i stopped huffing and puffing, my tobaccos suddenly got flavor, ones that were harsh or gave me tongue bite before, i've had to go back and retry, with good results. i'm sure it will become habit, but right now i'm trying to take about two puffs per minute. you'll get it. that churchwarden is very nice. i'd like to pick one up sometime.

Thank you so much for your input and kind words, guys!

I got my CW today. And, I LOVE it!!! Honest to goodness... it is the very first pipe I have ever smoked in my life that I really... really enjoyed!!

It's truly got me seriously considering selling the others and investing in nothing but churchwardens! I love this pipe that much!! But, I don't want to do something like that on a whim... and, end up regretting it. So, I'll give it a while (at least a few days) before I do anything... at least... anything that rash! ;)

Robert

beebiz":p2ixzbey said:

I got my CW today. And, I LOVE it!!! Honest to goodness... it is the very first pipe I have ever smoked in my life that I really... really enjoyed!!

It's truly got me seriously considering selling the others and investing in nothing but churchwardens! I love this pipe that much!! But, I don't want to do something like that on a whim... and, end up regretting it. So, I'll give it a while (at least a few days) before I do anything... at least... anything that rash! ;)

Robert
glad to hear you say that. i'm really interested in the church warden. you might have talked me into it. there's a pipe maker that has interchangeable stems, for whatever your mood. maybe i'll go that route. love the look though. that one you got is a beaut!

Thank you again, bruin! If you even think you might like one, I'd strongly suggest trying one. I don't think you'll be disappointed... especially if you get one that can be smoked either as a CW or "regular" pipe. Which one were you referring to... the Hans Christian Andersen??

beebiz":7m3jmjpo said:

Robert
CW are cool, there is a bjarne apple CW in the workshop at the moment awaiting a refirb job for resale.
Glad you like it!!

Piet Binsbergen said:
beebiz":fiqaah48 said:
CW are cool, there is a bjarne apple CW in the workshop at the moment awaiting a refirb job for resale.
Glad you like it!!
Are you saying that its in your workshop? If so, tell me a bit about it... iffin' you don't mind! I'm already salavating!! :lol:

Robert

beebiz said:
Piet Binsbergen":1sofnqmo said:
beebiz":1sofnqmo said:
Glad you like it!!
Are you saying that its in your workshop? If so, tell me a bit about it... iffin' you don't mind! I'm already salavating!! :lol:

Robert
OK Beebiz,
Here is the gig..........
It is Muddler's CW, you may have met him already on the board, he is a helluva nice bugger indeed.
The CW is one of his estates that is in the process of being refurbished for resale.

Because this is brother of briar, and that is what brothers do....................
The Pipe is yours.......... no charge!
I will give it a clean, not much needed as it is new, Muddler has gifted it to you and I will post it off as soon as I am back from my trip with my exhibition of recent paintings.
We figured that you like CW's so much that you need to get your collection growing,
Here is a contribution from South Africa!!!!

Don't ask why, thats just what brothers do!!!!!!!
PM me your Postal addy.
I will send you some pictures of your new pipe later today, this eve your time!!!!!

BOB have been really good to us here on the Dark continent, we are just giving back to the brotherhood, today is your lucky day bro!!!!
Enjoy!!!!

Regards
MUDDLER & PIET

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Aah the kindness of the SA brothers, it is so heartwarming to see true brotherliness.
That is a wonderful gift guys and Beebiz I am sure your collection will grow from strength to strength.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: three cheers to Piet & Muddler for their generosity.

bluedigital":w9zsm3i9 said:
Aah the kindness of the SA brothers, it is so heartwarming to see true brotherliness.
That is a wonderful gift guys and Beebiz I am sure your collection will grow from strength to strength.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: three cheers to Piet & Muddler for their generosity.
and 3 cheers for joining the South African brotherhood BD!!!!!!!!!
You are a credit to the force bro!!!!!
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Brother Piet... you and Muddler have accomplished something that only a handful of people have been able to accomplish in my lifetime. You rendered me temporarily speechless! That was not an easy task!!! :)

Though I have been a member of BoB for little more than a few hours, you two honor me by making such a gift. At first, my brain could not comprehend what my eyes were reading... "The Pipe is yours.......... no charge!" I had to re-read your post 5 or 6 times to convince my brain that what my eyes were reading was exactly what it said.

As you instructed, I'll not ask, "Why?" I do know that it is just something that brothers do! I know this from experiences with a handful of brothers I have acquired from around the globe via the internet. They come from various ages... all walks of life... and from varying positions on the financial scale. But, we all have two main things in common... we have at least one similar interest... and we all have very giving hearts! You and Muddler have shown yours quicker than any other brother I have... blood related... or internet adopted!!

"Thank you to both of you... from the depths of my heart!!!!"

When I was finally able to get my mind wrapped around exactly what you were saying to me, my brain began frantically trying to think of something I could offer you in return (another thing brothers do :) ). Given my financial condition (from a combination of bad choices in my life and from fate), I don't have much. And, I could not think of a thing that I have... certainly not befitting the kindness and generosity exhibited by you and Muddler... especially to such a new brother!

Then, I recalled something that happened to me as a young boy. It's not much. But, for now... it's all I have. And, I will offer it to the two of you here... in lieu of something tangible. It is simply a true story... a true story about me and my Granddaddy. I hope you will each accept it in the spirit in which it is offered to you. And, I hope you enjoy it!

When I was a young boy... somewhere between 4 and 6... my grandfather and I were walking to town. As he and my grandmother babysat my brother and me, this was a daily ritual that I very much looked forward to. Not only did it mean quality time spent with my grandfather. It meant that I was going to get a soda, a package of peanuts or peanut butter and crackers, watch my grandfather play checkers with some of the other elderly gentlemen in town, and if real lucky... get play a game or two also!

It was the fall of the year. And, Christmas time was quickly approaching. As we walked along, our discussion turned to (and, probably at my direction) what I wanted Santa to bring me. In typical child like fashion, I began rambling off my never ending list of things.

When I finished, my grandfather asked me, "And, what if Santa can only bring you one thing? And, what if that one thing is not on your list?"

After a moment of disappointing thought, I answered him. "I would be very, very sad, Granddaddy!"

"Robert Lee," he said in his gentle, Granddaddy voice, "when someone gives you a gift, you should never be disappointed or sad. You should always be thankful. And, you should always remember that it is not the gift that is important... it's the reason it was given to you!!"

I asked him what he meant.

He stopped, bent over, and picked up a rock. It was nothing pretty to look at... no unusual shape... no unusual color... not overly sharp... nor overly smooth... just a rock! He squatted down, pulled me close to him, and said, "This is what I mean, Robert Lee." He placed the rock in my hand and said, "This is my gift to you... a rock! But, it's not just a rock that I have put in your hand. It is a rock that I give to you to say that I love you... and, love you very, very much!!!" With that, he hugged me... long and hard.

He then asked me if I understood what he meant. I did! And, I have ever since!!!

I had much intended that the stone follow me through life; and, even to the grave. And, it saw me through many sad, lonely times in my life... as a boy... and, as a man. I even held it tight and drew comfort from it on the day that we laid my Granddaddy to rest... drawing not from the stone itself... but, from Granddaddy's love for which it was a symbol!

But, I lost it when our house burned to the ground on December 3, 2003. I searched through the rubble for hours and hours... trying my best to locate the symbol of my Granddaddy's love. But, I was unable to locate it.

Yours and Muddler's gift means the world to me!! It's not because of the fact that it is a pipe... or, even a churchwarden pipe! It is because of what it is a symbol of... the care and love from two of my new found brothers!!! I will always cherish it all of the days of my life!! And, it will never be for sale... at any price!!!!

But, unlike the stone from my Granddaddy, the pipe will not follow me to my grave. Just before, or once life had given way to death, I will pass it on! And, I will pass it on in the same spirit in which you and Muddler have passed it on to me!!!

Thank you, my brothers!!!!!!!!!!

Robert

Ok Rob,
Here you go, and for that story you deserve it even more!!!
That was the best thread I have ever read on BOB!!!!!
The "don't ask why" and "that's what brothers do" is what I learnt very quickly here on BOB, I think it was JP that used the phrase first when he sent me a box full of baccy!

The brothers have been good to me and Mudd, hell we are just good to each other around here and that is what makes this a special place.
Your tribute to me and the loss of my dog bares testimony to your kind heart Sir, that money cannot buy!!!
Here is a picture of your new PIPE!!

Enjoy.
Sent you a PM Also!
Brother ROB, you are Saluted!!!

well done boys! gorgeous pipe. bizbee, hope you can handle two mistresses!

beebiz, you might have already mentioned it but what blend(s) are you enjoying in the CW?

That is a beautiful lady, Piet!! She will long and properly cherished!!!

Once I receive her, I will let you know and I will make a post about her and how I got her.

Again, thank you to my brothers, Piet and Muddler!!!

Robert

beebiz":sp1pzbag said:
That is a beautiful lady, Piet!! She will long and properly cherished!!!

Once I receive her, I will let you know and I will make a post about her and how I got her.

Again, thank you to my brothers, Piet and Muddler!!!

Robert
Our pleasure!!
BeeBizz I think you should pay attention to Pete's question above ??
Please answer his question!!!!
Also check your PM box!!!

My sincerest apologies, brothers! When I saw the picture of that beautiful lady that's being sent to me, I got so excited that I didn't even notice that there was a second page to this thread or that I had a new PM!!! Again, please forgive me!!!

Piet Binsbergen":4wjpo262 said:
Our pleasure!!
BeeBizz I think you should pay attention to Pete's question above ??
Please answer his question!!!!
Also check your PM box!!!
I just read your PM, Piet! I will simply say thank you!! Those were very kind words! And, don't worry... I've no intention of going anywhere!!! I'm not the most intelligent fellow to grace the face of this planet! But, I'm not the dumbest either!! A group of fellows like the ones here is a once (or less) in a lifetime find!! You are all gems... of the finest nature!! And, I don't think you could run me off at gunpoint!!!! :lol:

Here goes my answer:

petertschantz":4wjpo262 said:
beebiz, you might have already mentioned it but what blend(s) are you enjoying in the CW?
Before I answer this question, I feel I need to tell you guys a few things. Please understand that I am neither complaining or making excuses... just stating fact!

I live in a very small, rural town. The only "tobacco shop" that I have near me is one where one can buy cheap cigarettes, tobacco, cigars, and beer! It definitely does not qualify as a tobacconist... by any stretch of the imagination!!

Also keep in mind that as I already said, my financial situation is not the most fluid in the world!! :lol: So, I was buying the most inexpensive "pipe tobacco" I could find in the 16 ounce bag and using it to make my cigarettes.

When I won the CW the other night, I went to the store and looked at the tobaccos that they had to offer. In addition to the typical non-flavored pipe tobaccos that folks buy to make their cigarettes with, they had Prince Albert and a couple of other "drugstore" types. I didn't care for the way any of them sounded... especially the cherry or whiskey. Then I came across some 12 ounce bags of "flavored" tobaccos that were branded, "Smoker's Pride." They had plain, cherry, whiskey, and vanilla cavendish... $11.99 per bag... plus tax.

Knowing that both my wife loves the smell of vanilla and that I love both the smell and taste of it, I bought a bag of the vanilla cavendish. It is what I have been smoking in the CW. And, I like the taste of it pretty darn well!!!

And, having tried it in my other pipes, I've found that I even like the taste of the cheap, 100% pure pipe tobacco that I was using to make my cigarettes! It's amazing how good the tobacco is... once you get rid of the crappy tasting cigarette paper!!

Thanks to the links provided here on BoB, I have been checking out various online tobacconists. And, in time, I will be trying out different flavors and blends. Because I like the tastes and smells of such things, I'll first be trying most any flavors such as vanilla anything, butterscotch, rum and the like.

I found a couple that I am very anxious to try. One is Peter Stokkebye, Peaches and Cream. I love peaches. And, I love cream. So, it sounds like a dream... to me. The other one I found sounds equally wonderful to me is Park Lane's Salmon River. I love to fish. So, the name is appealing to me. And, the description sounds wonderful to me!!

I've got these and a few others on my "wish list." And, God willing, I will be ordering some of them next month.

Oh, and I will use one of my CWs for aromatics and the other for non-aromatics. Since I've already been smoking the vanilla cavendish in the Italian CW, I will reserve it for the aromatics. The Bjarne will be reserved for non-aromatics.

Again... my brothers... I cannot seem to thank you enough... for your kindness... your generosity... and for the way you have welcomed me with such open arms!!

The best blessings to each and every one of you!!!!

Robert