My Snuff-is it stale?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey Joe

Reaction score
I'm not a regular snuffer (at least not yet) but I enjoy a snoot from time to time. I have 3 tins that I bought last Spring; WS Irish High Toast, GH-Wild Mint and Kendall brown.
My questions for ya'll are how can you tell when snuff is stale? Can you rehydrate dried up snuff like baccy?

Smokey Joe":kw8yi2v0 said:
I'm not a regular snuffer (at least not yet) but I enjoy a snoot from time to time. I have 3 tins that I bought last Spring; WS Irish High Toast, GH-Wild Mint and Kendall brown.
My questions for ya'll are how can you tell when snuff is stale? Can you rehydrate dried up snuff like baccy?
Like pipe tobacco snuff will dry out and lose some of its flavour if left for too long and not properly stored. If your snuffs have been opened and are just in their original tins I expect they will have dried out some in that time, but they can be rehydrated.

I have found the best way to do that is to get an airtight plastic container, not too large (the one I have used is about 10cm x 10cm and 6cm high). Put the snuff in it, spreading it out evenly over the bottom. Get a sheet of kitchen roll (paper towel) and fold it so it's about 5 or 6cm wide and drape it over the top. Drip a little water onto the paper (or whisky or rum or brandy for a different flavour) and replace the lid. Leave it for a day or two and the snuff will be moist again.

For long term storage of snuff you really need airtight containers. No problem if you buy in bulk. The large plastic tubs that Wilson's and Sam Gawith's use are perfect as they are, but smaller tins and boxes will dry out in time. I put them in ziploc bags and then inside airtight plastic boxes. They keep well for years like that. Some people like to keep snuff in the fridge or freezer but I have never found that to be necessary as long as the container is airtight. Finding a storage place with a constant temperature also helps.

Happy rehydrating!