My Sons First Squirrel

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thistleoak,

I KNEW where you were from as soon as I saw that black squirrel! Haven't seen one of them in a long time. Here in Georgia, they're all reds and fox... I grew up in the NW tip of IndIllMich though. :lol:

So cool that you have a son to hunt with. I'd give anything! Enjoy that boy. :D

Jack

I enjoy him everyday.... he comes home from school, gets the home work done and then it is to the fields, streams and woods for the lessons you can't learn in school. He got a case of the buck fever during the youth hunt though... had 12 does and two young bucks all within 35 yrds of us and he stood there with his jaw hanging. I was trying not to laugh. "Dad I dont know what happened, my.. my arms just wouldn't move" then I laughed and said "you got the Collywobbels from a buck.... don't tell anyone but my heart sped up too, don't worry there is always next season"

Great to see kids hunting, keeping the tradition going. Puts meat on the table too.

Congrats on taking your son on a successful hunt Thistleoak. Like the saying goes, "Take your kids hunting, and you won't have to hunt for your kids." :cheers:

Great shot, kid! :cheers:

Simple Man":33dl8lp5 said:
Thistleoak,

I KNEW where you were from as soon as I saw that black squirrel! Haven't seen one of them in a long time. Here in Georgia, they're all reds and fox... I grew up in the NW tip of IndIllMich though. :lol:

Jack
Angola, by any chance, Simple Man? I ask because it just so happens I smoked my first pipe there at a bar called Skip's back in '91. I was living in Coldwater, MI at the time. Know it?
Local legend says those black squirrels were imported by the Kelloggs to populate their Gull Lake estate. Turns out that's B.S. Something like 1 in 8,000 of the indigenous grays carry the sable gene, yet for some reason they're the predominant strain around Battle Creek. Guess they really like cereal. :p

winterland":r5825p7i said:
Great to see kids hunting, keeping the tradition going. Puts meat on the table too.
Yes, Congrats on the hunt and keeping the tradition going!

It's good to see kids still interested in the great outdoors. Too many of them spend their time behind a computer, playing game systems, or watching TV.

Keep it up, and next year he won't get 'Buck Fever'. :cheers:

Congrats to your son,our youth squirrel starts this sat my youngen is all geared up.

George Kaplan":vtnn04ou said:
Great shot, kid! :cheers:

Simple Man":vtnn04ou said:
Thistleoak,

Jack
Angola, by any chance, Simple Man? I ask because it just so happens I smoked my first pipe there at a bar called Skip's back in '91. I was living in Coldwater, MI at the time. Know it?
Local legend says those black squirrels were imported by the Kelloggs to populate their Gull Lake estate. Turns out that's B.S. Something like 1 in 8,000 of the indigenous grays carry the sable gene, yet for some reason they're the predominant strain around Battle Creek. Guess they really like cereal. :p
No, I grew up in the NW corner of Indiana, in the town of LaPorte. Great place to live being so close to Chicago and Lake Michigan and all. I hope to retire back up there if I can.

Simpleman, if you decide to retire in the north country let me know and you can come up and deer hunt.