My take on GLP Chelsea Morning

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tech2576

Reaction score
In another thread I was asked my opion of Chelsea Morning, I mentioned that I usually needed to search for the taste for a while before I "got" something, that I didn't have the pallette of some folks here.

Our very own Kyle Weiss suggested I do a review and that it sometimes helped him get a better handle on what he was tasting. Yeah, I know what your thinking, " Oh good lord, he is taking advice from Kyle!" :lol:

I am not an eloquent sort nor do I generally have much to say but I told Kyle I would give it a shot, so here goes.

I will say, I have smoked 3/4 or more of a tin and had limited success, although I did enjoy it.

Opening the tin one gets the aroma of Latakia and the Familiar Virginia grass / hay. The color is light to dark brown with spotty dark spots.

This is a pressed and tumbled ribbon which is pretty chunky out of the tin, which is how I was smoking it before. More on that later.

For tonights smoke I decided I would rub it out to more of a regular ribbon cut. It rubbed out nicely.
I chose a pipe I am getting very familiar with, a Savinelli 114KS straight billiard with a big bowl, so I would have some time to think as I smoked. Called my smoking buddy, Casey the golden retriever, out on the deck with me and got ready.

Packed it fairly lightly because I normally have better luck getting the flavors that way and you can always tamp it if need be.

Charring light, " The Dark Lord is alive and well!", Lat hit! Wow didn't expect that.
Tamp and light. What happened to the Lat? Oh, perique, Va, nice.

The perique isn't over the top, just there. Sweet red Va, a touch of Perique. What happened to the Lat?
Hold on, is that some sort of fruit? Nah, can't be.
Apple, no. Orange, no. Can't place it but I like it. Perique?
What happened to that? Just enjoy it dummy.

This stuff is like a tobacco swingers party in your pipe. You are not quite sure what is next. Nothing is up front except maybe a Va sweetness. Lat and perique, Va and Lat, still some kind of fruity thing going on!

About half bowl I had to run in the house for a few minutes. Good, I can DGT this thing. Relight was a non issue, right back where I started.

Time to try and over heat this puppy and see if I get bit! Nope. Over heated tobacco and the taste went to hell but no bite. Let it cool back down and kept going.
Was that heavy sweet cream I just tasted? nah!
More fruity goodness. Latakia is back! Nice rich smoke for a Va based blend.
spicey, sweet, but a very natual Va sweet.

There is that sweet cream thing again.

Bottom of the bowl, less spice, more Lat but always a intermingling of flavors.

Mostly pure white ash with some dark stuff mixed in. I am sure a more experienced smoker could get the famed nothing but pure white ash. 8)

Back to the cut, I have smoked this as is from the time and gotten alot more of the creamy taste from it so experiment with it if you get some!

In my humble opinion one of the most balanced and interesting smokes I have had to date.
If you have a problem with large amounts of lat or perique, don't be afraid of this one.
There is another tin on my shelf and more will be added soon.

Thanks to Greg for his time and effort!
Thanks to Kyle for talking into this.

Sorry if I bored you with dibble.

Dave

Thanks :oops: I felt like an idoit while writing it but like I told Kyle, "I got nothing to lose"!

That review was a lot more valuable than most of the nonsense spouted on Tobacco Reviews. I was kinda holding off on CM because of

the Lat, but after this glowing report I'm going to pop a tin and unleash the swingers party. Great job.

Tech, ya done good.

I've done a lot of writing in my day, and there's two kinds: there's writing you do for yourself, and there's writing you do for others. Any given person can do either, as it's easy to just write what you want or be subject to all of the criticism, rules and expectations that structure something the public reads.

What these reviews do is make you communicate with yourself in a public manner. It doesn't matter if they drag on and on, or if they're short and sweet--these details are all important. Sure, you could keep it hidden away in a notebook or a text file, but what good would a forum on the Internet be if everyone couldn't or didn't share? This isn't an English class, and your essay isn't judged: this is about pipes and tobacco! People here write everything form poems to whole digital tomes on these subjects (ala yours truly). 8) If they do judge you, to hell with 'em, they can go read something else.

Even if you don't post 'em here, keep writing your thoughts on the tobacco--but I'd prefer you do post 'em, it was a cool review. Obviously you got something from it!

Thanks for your review. I sampled several bowls of this stuff for the first time over the weekend and again last night. You hit the flavor profile right on as far as I'm concerned. It is a very good blend but IMHO there are many others out there of similar nature that are more to my liking. But as they say, whatever floats your boat! the only thing I did not enjoy about the blend is the wide cut of the tobacco. It does slow down the burn and my personal preference is for a more ribbon cut when I'm smoking an English blend.
Keep up the good work, your review was a good read and maybe you and Kyle could get into doing some reviews for tobaccoreviews.com??? Don't know if you are already doing that.
I look forward to more of your posts, as I couldn't express myself nearly as well as you guys.

That's a well written piece of "dribble" and thanks for taking the time to present it :!: From your description of the blend/mixture I'd have to say it makes it sound like many other similar English style blends/mixtures that are out there and that I have smoked so I don't know if i feel enough "want" to add another similar blend/mixture at the present, but I can appreciate the effort and your opinion about it! Keep up the good work :p

Rob_In_MO":k00nj4nx said:
docwatson":k00nj4nx said:
maybe you and Kyle could get into doing some reviews for tobaccoreviews.com???
Yeah - but is 'Tobaccoreviews.com' ready for Tech & Kyle? :scratch:
From what I've read recently, they would be BETTER than what is there now :p

monbla256":mc3jvyl3 said:
Rob_In_MO":mc3jvyl3 said:
docwatson":mc3jvyl3 said:
They may be able to author reviews that are more well thought out and informative than the current ones, but unless they also intend to write while under the influence of hallucinogens, I fail to see how they could make the reviews any more entertaining. :lol:

Storm_Crow":6pz2dtk9 said:
monbla256":6pz2dtk9 said:
Rob_In_MO":6pz2dtk9 said:
docwatson":6pz2dtk9 said:
They may be able to author reviews that are more well thought out and informative than the current ones, but unless they also intend to write while under the influence of hallucinogens, I fail to see how they could make the reviews any more entertaining. :lol:
I'd have to agree there for sure :p It has become a place to get a good laugh at least once a day :clown:

Storm_Crow":go3u0fnf said:
unless they also intend to write while under the influence of hallucinogens, I fail to see how they could make the reviews any more entertaining. :lol:
Speaking of which - i'm not sure how it would affect writing styles and creativity, but i've seen what it does to drawing abilities.

For those of you not experienced, check this out. It's pretty cool, and scary at the same time...

You know, there's a reason why I don't post on TR.com...I mentioned it somewhere else before, but not very directly.

There's too much opining over there, and it's usually really bad. Once in a rare while I find some really witty, decent and good reads over there, but it's like the pipe smoker's version of YouTube commentary. Too many go way overboard trying to be cute, "all-knowing, all-seeing," or totally nonobjective. That's after the inexperienced and reviews like "I HATED IT" are out of the way. :lol: I also don't like the "star rating" system, because it's often too difficult for people to understand. Don't believe me? I have read reviews where people said they LOVED the tobacco, but because it was too expensive, they gave it one star. I have read reviews where people said they HATED the tobacco, but because their dad smoked it, it got four stars. What the hell? :lol: I don't want to get lost over there--plus, I'm waaaay to new to be thinking I can throw down "I just tried." I'd catch hell from someone because I didn't smoke ten tins before I wrote it--regardless of my reasons why I think noting first impressions are important.

Nope, I'd rather have my stuff where people I care about can read and consider my thoughts, then comment, joke around, make suggestions, discuss and hang out. Plus, chances are, a Brother gifted me the sample, I think they should participate somehow, even if it's just to thank them! I figure I either don't like the tobacco, or I do like it, or I think I should give it some more concentration. Nope, I'm keepin' it here, and using BoB as my personal pipe note sandbox that other people just happen to read. 8)

Thanks for the great review!

You and I see eye to eye on this one. For sure a blend that those with an aversion to Perique or Latakia can enjoy. I can't wait to find out how this blend fairs with about 5 years in the tin! I'm putting my money on fantastic 8)

Rob_In_MO":6xu2ytx8 said:
docwatson":6xu2ytx8 said:
I am pretty sure I am not ready for prime time! :lol:

Thanks for encouragement brothers. I may throw another one out there every now and again.
Glad to hear that my perception wasn't that far off of some more experienced smokers!

Thank Kyle for the read, it never would have happened with out him suggesting it!

s.ireland":q87hu8kn said:
Thanks for the great review!

You and I see eye to eye on this one. For sure a blend that those with an aversion to Perique or Latakia can enjoy. I can't wait to find out how this blend fairs with about 5 years in the tin! I'm putting my money on fantastic 8)
Thanks Shane! :)

More than a few guys here respect your tastes and opinions on tobacco choices, so that makes me feel even better.

Post here when you open that 5+ year old tin and give us an update! ;)

Kyle Weiss":ok8fbck8 said:
You know, there's a reason why I don't post on TR.com...I mentioned it somewhere else before, but not very directly.

There's too much opining over there, and it's usually really bad. Once in a rare while I find some really witty, decent and good reads over there, but it's like the pipe smoker's version of YouTube commentary. Too many go way overboard trying to be cute, "all-knowing, all-seeing," or totally nonobjective. That's after the inexperienced and reviews like "I HATED IT" are out of the way. :lol: I also don't like the "star rating" system, because it's often too difficult for people to understand. Don't believe me? I have read reviews where people said they LOVED the tobacco, but because it was too expensive, they gave it one star. I have read reviews where people said they HATED the tobacco, but because their dad smoked it, it got four stars. What the hell? :lol: I don't want to get lost over there--plus, I'm waaaay to new to be thinking I can throw down "I just tried." I'd catch hell from someone because I didn't smoke ten tins before I wrote it--regardless of my reasons why I think noting first impressions are important.

Nope, I'd rather have my stuff where people I care about can read and consider my thoughts, then comment, joke around, make suggestions, discuss and hang out. Plus, chances are, a Brother gifted me the sample, I think they should participate somehow, even if it's just to thank them! I figure I either don't like the tobacco, or I do like it, or I think I should give it some more concentration. Nope, I'm keepin' it here, and using BoB as my personal pipe note sandbox that other people just happen to read. 8)
I'd like to nominate this as "post of the year"!

Nothing against TR, mind. Just well thought out and expressed!

8)

Cheers,

RR

A great review and I agree completely. I like Meridian for a similar style smoke without the perique. Both great blends by my tastes.