My tastes have changed?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texican

Reaction score
Anyone ever get that when pipe smoking?

For the past few months I have been really into Va/Pers. But for the past few weeks something is just going wrong. Maybe it is the heat. Maybe it is the size of the bowl. I don't know. But I just find Escudo to be harsh tasting to me. And the nicotine hit is outrageous (I was able to smoke a small bowl of Dunhill's Nightcap in the afternoon and not be knocked over. But after smoking a bowl of Escudo yesterday after lunch, I came back in and just went into torpor. :pale: 

So I broke out an aromatic. Boswell's Best. And oddly enough....I'm enjoying it. :affraid: I left it in my pipe for a bit to sort of mellow out. Had breakfast. Washed up. And went onto the porch with the wife and the cat to enjoy some coffee. I like the taste. I'm not punched with the nicotine. The wife loves the smell. And the cat likes watching the smoke.

I'll probably keep my new tin of Escudo and cellar it for when I do get back in the mood again. Or save it for trades. But, I think I'm transforming (or some might even say regressing) from a Va/Per smoker to an aromatic smoker...weird.

Anyone ever have these changes?

It happens. Often it's Englishes to Virginias with time and experience.

Yours could just be a winter/summer matter. That's pretty common. Usually, Virginias in summer, heavier Lat content stuff in the winter. Or vice versa.

You can't get it all figured out in one year's time, so don't jump to conclusions (unless you like changing your mind and starting over).

FWIW

:face:

Yak":t86s1vdo said:

Yours could just be a winter/summer matter. That's pretty common. Usually, Virginias in summer, heavier Lat content stuff in the winter. Or vice versa.

You can't get it all figured out in one year's time, so don't jump to conclusions (unless you like changing your mind and starting over).

FWIW

All I know is I'm going to have to try some more aromatics. So far I love Boswell's Best. The vanilla is actually there supporting the tobaccos. I heard Berry Cobbler is pretty good too.

Texican":pu8k9w7p said:

I think I'm transforming (or some might even say regressing) from a Va/Per smoker to an aromatic smoker...weird.

Yes,
How about monthly!!!! Must be my cycle!!! :lol!: 

Yep,

This is why it's important to keep as much tobacco on hand as possible at all times. You never now what you might be in the mood for..:p 

Texican":7czcg582 said:

For the past few months I have been really into Va/Pers. But for the past few weeks something is just going wrong. Maybe it is the heat. Maybe it is the size of the bowl. I don't know. But I just find Escudo to be harsh tasting to me. And the nicotine hit is outrageous (I was able to smoke a small bowl of Dunhill's Nightcap in the afternoon and not be knocked over. But after smoking a bowl of Escudo yesterday after lunch, I came back in and just went into torpor. :pale: 

So I broke out an aromatic. Boswell's Best. And oddly enough....I'm enjoying it. :affraid: I left it in my pipe for a bit to sort of mellow out. Had breakfast. Washed up. And went onto the porch with the wife and the cat to enjoy some coffee. I like the taste. I'm not punched with the nicotine. The wife loves the smell. And the cat likes watching the smoke.

I'll probably keep my new tin of Escudo and cellar it for when I do get back in the mood again. Or save it for trades. But, I think I'm transforming (or some might even say regressing) from a Va/Per smoker to an aromatic smoker...weird.

Sounds more like you are developing what tastes and smokes best for YOU! There's a bit of snobbery when it comes to 'bacs to the point of one is not a pipe smoker if they like Aromatics! I have a neighbor that lives down the street from me who's now in his 70s and has smoked Cherry Blend that he get's from the drug store for decades. His pipes are always well cared for, Kaywoodies and Dr. Grabows and none smell and he's been at it longer than me and he enjoys it . It's not what does it for me, but I would never say he needs to change so you shouldn't feel that anything is out of place with what you are developing a tatse for. Load your pipe up with what you like, light it and enjoy !:twisted:

docwatson":pr2ga46m said:
Yes,
How about monthly!!!! Must be my cycle!!! :lol!: 
Heh, pipestruation. :mrgreen:

Yes, Tex, it happens. For me, seasonally. I like richer, heavier, headier stuff in cooler weather, lighter, brighter and even cigar-leaf based stuff in warmer weather.

You'll find your own groove as you keep enjoying the hobby/lifestyle of the pipe.

Oh heavens, yes, it will happen to you every now and again!!! I used to be a devoted Lat-head until a few years ago I started messin' around with ginny-weed!! Now I'm into flakes and even some Va/Pers!!! Then last year at the Raleigh TAPS show, I got hooked on Solani Aged Burley Flake. Hell, I hadn't smoked Burley in 45+ years. Now I keep several including CH and PA!! Enjoy the hell out of'em!! I still don't do aro's; just don't care for them. However, everytime I visit Boswell's, I get a little itch to try one or two of J.M.'s. You'll probably go back and forth several times as the seasons and your tastes change. One of the more fascinating aspects of this little hobby of ours!! FTRPLT

Texican":88xj83du said:
Yak":88xj83du said:

FWIW

All I know is I'm going to have to try some more aromatics. So far I love Boswell's Best. The vanilla is actually there supporting the tobaccos. I heard Berry Cobbler is pretty good too.
Berry Cobbler is all topping. I couldn't taste any tobacco in the sample I had. If you like aromatics, you'll really like Berry Cobbler.

I generally enjoy VAs more than any other at this point, but I do get a hankering for Mild to Medium English blends when the weather turns wet and cold.

I tried a sample of Lane Limited Black Raspberry the other night. I laughed when I received it. Well it will take time, but I will end up finishing the sample. I adore a black raspberry malt, go figure.

Andy

"it was the best of times, it was the worst of times..."

C.D.

I lost my taste for Latakia.
Still have quite a bit.
One of these days I oughtta
start trading em for VAs & VA/Pers.

Early on I acquired the prejudice against aromatics. I tell myself that I don't smoke aromatics, but I do, 1792. I guess I only smoke some aromatics. When I wrote tobacco reviews I had a more discerning palate, but now I discern only if I like a tobacco, and not so much about why I like it, i.e. the balance of the natural tobaccos and how they work as a blend. In the end I guess it's fair to say that I like natural tobaccos more than the flavored for the reason of how the natural tobaccos taste. I used to want to analyze everything about pipe smoking, and this lent itself to writing reviews, but now I focus more on the enjoyment.