My top 3 briar smokers, what are yours?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnbanjo

Broken Pipe
Reaction score
Rainer Barbi

8400120234_3ae6eafd7c_c.jpg

Anne Julie

8400122660_4443fb49cb_c.jpg

Sixten Ivarsson

8557651525_9938c30094_z.jpg

Of course I don't really have any bad smokers since they don't stay if they don't smoke well, these are excellent smokers no matter my choice of tobak.

Peterson Killarney (red) 86

Peterson System (standard) 313

Last but not least (my favorite right now)
Brother Bruno (Brurobas) rusticated sitter

I'm curious Banjo. Are they your best smokers because they bring you the most joy (beauty, appreciation for lineage, as well as smoking well) or because they are technically the best smoking instruments in your collection?

My best smoking briars are all Stanwells. An HCA II sandblast, a Nanna N3 sandblast, and a featherweight 243 sandblast. They are the best smokers, as they smoke the driest, produce consistently excellent flavor with little rest, and draft exceptionally well. I presently own around 3 dozen pipes, most are Stanwells and Petersons, with a few odds and ends here and there. I used to own quite a few high grades, including Bang, Chonowitsch, Hedegaard, Dunhill, Barling and Castello. All the Castellos smoked very well, but the Stanwells smoke just as well. Only the Bang was superior to everything else. Most of the English highgrade pipes and Danish highgrade pipes did not operate as well as the Stanwells as far as being smoking devices, but they had their romance and that goes pretty far for factoring in enjoyability.

puff daddy,
To answer your question I'll do it this way, I have a few Radice's and they always smoke well in the tobacco I use as my staple but if I change tobacco I don't get the full satisfaction I get when smoking my staple but not so with the 3 I listed, whatever I smoke just plain smokes superbly. Maybe it would be best to call these my Magic 3 I guess.

Todd Harris Dublin

Peterson Rosslare 408

And this Tinsky Squat Apple

Or this Tinsky Dublin

Close runners up would be these because they are great smokers and they are my favorite shapes

For me it would be 4 pots, two of which are identical. I can load these up with ANY flake and just breathe and have FANTASTIC smokes in ALL of 'em.
First up would be my two Charatan Special pots, one a tapered bit, the other a saddle bit, Bought 'em both back in the early 70's:

CharatanSpecialpotwtaperedstem.jpg

Next would be my B'day pipe my daughter bought me this year. It's a 2008 production Dunhill Cunberland pot that has smoked like a 30 yo pipe from the start!

Dunhillgrp4CumberlandPot1.jpg

And saving the best for last, my sandblasted Growley pot I got from Brian . This pipe basicaly smokes itself, I just put 'bac in it, put a match to it and the pipe does the rest. It's one amazing peice of briar !! :

IMG_0516copy.jpg

Very nice and what is said below is what I was referring to in choosing my top 3

monbla256":6ce1sri4 said:
This pipe basicaly smokes itself, I just put 'bac in it, put a match to it and the pipe does the rest. It's one amazing peice of briar !! :

Hmmm, I don't have so many pipes yet that it would feel worthwhile to name 3. But I'll name 2:

My Butz-Choquin:

9hkffc.jpg

A cheapy estate that cleaned out to be such a favourite. Hard to describe what it is, the draw is just perfect, and it's a perfect pair for my current favourite baccy (Germain's Rich Dark Flake)

And my oldie Stanwell:

29wwkdh.jpg

I've smoked a few Stanwells and enjoyed them all, but this has worked better than any of them for me. By far my best pipe. I especially enjoy smoking Navy Rolls (Or Escudo - thank you Brewdude! :D) in it. The bowl is perfect for 2 rolls, neatly folded inside.

I feel like I'm smoking basket briars by comparison. Those are some astounding pieces Fish. My current front runner is this:

E. Andrew pot
76a48a27-1b96-46ac-a8ce-c2a954187710.jpg

Just a lovely bit of briar.

A somewhat recently acquired pipe has really impressed me, and moved to the head of the
class around here: A double Maxima Ser Jacopo bulldog.
This pipe almost feels like a novelty due to it's size, nearly a magnum, but it is a serious smoker!
It meets that threshold in all three of the most important criteria: Coolness, dryness, and taste.
It will probably only see London Mixture, so I can't speak for it's versatility with other blends, and it is no flake pipe!
It also has a nice sandblast.
Any number of Castellos or Il Ceppos could round out the top three. Come to think of it,
there's another Ser Jacopo that could be a solid runner up... 8)

That Ser Jacopo is beyond awesome, to one who admires classic shapes. I "stole" the photo, just for my future reference.

Richard Burley":g71jnd7z said:
That Ser Jacopo is beyond awesome, to one who admires classic shapes. I "stole" the photo, just for my future reference.
You know, I agree.
The thing that I like best about the pipe, aside from it's smoking qualities,
is the fact that it nails a classic shape, even on a larger scale.

Harlock999":6j4f7o9c said:
Richard Burley":6j4f7o9c said:
You know, I agree.
The thing that I like best about the pipe, aside from it's smoking qualities,
is the fact that it nails a classic shape, even on a larger scale.
As whimsical as Ser Jacopo is with many of their designs, when they decide to do a classic shape they always nail it. That's one of the most beauteous Bent Bulldogs I've seen.

Lovely pipes all, thanks Rusty about the kind words on my Sixten and the spot on observation on that Ser Jacopo Bulldog.

monbla256":pcvr6qqn said:
For me it would be 4 pots, two of which are identical. I can load these up with ANY flake and just breathe and have FANTASTIC smokes in ALL of 'em.
First up would be my two Charatan Special pots, one a tapered bit, the other a saddle bit, Bought 'em both back in the early 70's:

CharatanSpecialpotwtaperedstem.jpg

Next would be my B'day pipe my daughter bought me this year. It's a 2008 production Dunhill Cunberland pot that has smoked like a 30 yo pipe from the start!

Dunhillgrp4CumberlandPot1.jpg

And saving the best for last, my sandblasted Growley pot I got from Brian . This pipe basicaly smokes itself, I just put 'bac in it, put a match to it and the pipe does the rest. It's one amazing peice of briar !! :

IMG_0516copy.jpg
Love the pot shape. Hooray for having a daughter who will buy a dunhill for her dad!

A couple of really nice ones here, but I must say that Sixten immediately caught my attention!