NAVY FLAKE QUESTION

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason1977

Reaction score
OK, so you veteran Navy Flake & pipe smokers know the trick on how to re-moisturize yer tobacco by taking a napkin, getting it wet, wringing it out & taping it to the underneath of your humidor lid & leaving it for 24 hours. Some do apple slices but I've done that & some of the tobacco wont even light, so I didn't do it again, but the napkin trick worked.

ANYWAY, my question is for the Navy Flake fans out there:

Do you think I'd be ruining my navy flake (Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake) if I moistened a napkin with Jamaican Rum & left it there for 24 hours? Maybe 12? Or, would I be improving my flavor? I think I'm going to put a few flakes in a seperate jar & do it to them & see what happens. My guess it that it would add a sweetness to the tobacco, BUT there would be an element of spiciness that would bring out whatever little perique is in the flake itself. We'll see, I just wondered how you guys would weigh in.

I'm going to try it w. 4 flakes, that's 2 smokes, I use 1 1/2 flakes per smoke, so I'll try it w. 2 smokes worth & see how it goes, I'm simply askin if you guys think this is something you'd do or try or is the flake good enough for ya as is? =) Thanks for your input!

Regards,

Jason

I think it's a good experiment for you to try,,,if it works out for your tastebuds then you've learned something.
If it doesn't, then you've learned something. What have you got to lose?

I've put a shotglass in a humidor, tossed some dried out tobacco around it and then filled the glass with Bourbon,,,,two days later it was good to go.

mark":tmeo4af4 said:
I think it's a good experiment for you to try,,,if it works out for your tastebuds then you've learned something.
If it doesn't, then you've learned something. What have you got to lose?

I've put a shotglass in a humidor, tossed some dried out tobacco around it and then filled the glass with Bourbon,,,,two days later it was good to go.
Precisely, that's why I'm doing 2 smokes worth, so I don't taint the entire humidor if it goes bad. SOmeone sent me a message & said all that would be soaked up in the tobacco is alcohol & moisture from the rum & none, if any flavoring from the rum & I would just be wastin my rum. SO, I wonder if that's true, I mean, how can vaporized rum NOT have any taint or shred of flavoring to it? lol. SO, I guess if that's true, would I be better off spraying them w. a mist spray bottle & do it that way w. direct contact? Perhaps let them sit for maybe a week after then try to let the moisture soak in & settle in? so, perhaps I'll need 6 flakes. 2 jars. 3 flakes w. a rum napkin taped to the lid of the jar. 3 flakes in another jar with rum sprayed from a spray bottle. & let sit for a week. 3 flakes is 2 smokes (1 1/2 flakes per smoke) SO, I'll have one for initial impression, then a second to reflect. I'm not worrying, really but rather trying to find out the best way to infuse rum into my tobacco. I don't mind ruining a few flakes to figure it out, I just dont want to try it out on 1/2 a pound & have the jar ruined, LOL! I will keep y'all posted!!!

This works well and you can leave the vanilla out or mod as taste dictates.

I'm sure that others have tried this little experiment but I thought I would share my discovery. My, my it's tasty.

1lb - C&D Morning Bayou (Virginny's and Perique)
3/4 liquid ounce St. Croix's Cruzan Light Rum. Because that's what I had in the cabinet.
1/4 liquid once Tone's Artificial Vanilla Flavouring.
Small spritzer that I use for watercolors. This is certainly the very best use this spritzer has enjoyed;)
10" x 10" Rubbermaid container with lid.

1. Pour C&D Bayou Morning into container.
2. Mix liquids into spritzer.
3. Spritz tobacco with 1/2 of the mixture.
4. Put lid on container.
5. Shake container.
6. Wait several hours and spritz to bacco with remaing concoction.
7. Replace lid and shake frequently through out the day / night.
8. Put tobacco into 1 pint Ball / Mason jars. Pack tightly.
9. Sample the last partially filled jar as you will.
10. After 2 weeks this stuff is crazy good.
11. Refill spritzer with same brew and look for other opportunities.

A few months back I purchased a bottle of Cruzan Black Strap Rum for making some mixed drinks but found it too sweet for any recipes I like. It may be a good candidate for doctoring up some tobacco. The next time I go to Greenville, I'll try to remember to take a sample to Boda for you to experiment with.

Jim