Need A Bit Of Clarification !

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velveteagle

Reaction score
I was visiting a fellow I know who enjoys smoking a pipe. I was looking into his ash try and noticed a good amount of tobacco that was not burnt. I made a comment about it and he told me he never smokes his pipe tobacco all the way down but throws half of the bowl content away. I asked him why and he said that if he smokes it past half way the tobacco gets nasty and he thinks the remaining tobacco is not longer any good. What is the validity of this practice ? I smoke mine down until there is nothing left to burn.. What do you think ?

I usually smoke a bit more than 3/4's of my bowl, perhaps it's just my tobacco which, mind you, isn't the greatest stuff out there or perhaps my young taste. Not to mention all my current pipes have pretty small bowls, which I think may be part of the answer which could also be the case for him!

On the average, I smoke a pipe 3/4 of the way down.

It depends on how well the tobacco burns and how well it holds it's flavor.
Some blends actually improve toward the bottom of the bowl.

It also seems to depend on both the moisture content of the tobacco and the humidity of the surrounding air.

Tobacco that is too wet tends to condense even more moisture towards the bottom of the bowl, and in the really humid summer months the same effect is evident, regardless of how dry the tobacco was to start.

Mike B

He packs it too tight and blames the tobacco.

Or on the pipe.

Or both.

The next step is, he starts writing reviews @ Tobacco Reviews :lol:

:face:

Maybe he needs to clean his pipes, and as said pack looser and dry the tobacco out more before smoking.

But typically I only smoke 3/4-7/8 of the way down.

I usually smoke until it starts tasting like crap. Then I dump it. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

The whole "fine grey ash" thing is unimportant, in my opinion. If you enjoy smoking it to the bottom, that's great. If not, that's great too.

There are no rules.

Rad

I smoke a bowl until it either won't relight or loses it's flavor.

We should remember that the act of smoking is first and foremost to be an enjoyable activity. The second it ceases to be enjoyable it becomes pollution :lol!:

This morning I smoked a bowl of Bayou Morning and 3/4 down the bowl it started to taste ashy. I dumped the rest. Don't know if it's proper pipe etiquette, but it didn't taste good anymore.

I smoke until it won't burn anymore. The bottom can taste sort of nice or different by way of being stronger, even if a bit sorry. Hey, there's more tar and nicotine down there. That, gentlemen, is a good thing.

What sort of tobacco does this fellow smoke velveteagle?

I find many of the traditional aromatics, even good ones, tend to lost just about all flavor about halfway down. Partly why I don't smoke them much.

I rarely have that problem with most of the stuff I smoke though. Occasionally I'll get a bit too much ashy flavor if the layer on top is thick. A quick tap of the ash and re-light if necesarry takes care of that though.

Frost":3tr6yy1d said:
What sort of tobacco does this fellow smoke velveteagle?

I find many of the traditional aromatics, even good ones, tend to lost just about all flavor about halfway down. Partly why I don't smoke them much.

I rarely have that problem with most of the stuff I smoke though. Occasionally I'll get a bit too much ashy flavor if the layer on top is thick. A quick tap of the ash and re-light if necesarry takes care of that though.
Hi Frost.. I am not sure what kind he smokes. I will have to ask next pool night. I do know he stays away from Aromatics. He will not accept filling his pipe from my pouch because he says it gets the taste mixed up in his pipe if he does that. He may be smoking CH but I think he picks up a special blend on his travels from a B&M. I tap off the extra ash also as I tamp my pipe all the while I am smoking it to keep the draw and burn even. Oh by the way Greenleaf.. I am with you about getting down to the good stuff High Power N Factor .. I think because I tamp my pipe while puffing allot it does a deep burn.. The SG Flakes seem to smoke very well while tamping.. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

I pretty much smoke the bowl through - at least 3/4's. As Rad say's, dumping fine ash is not a religious practice, dump it when you're good to.

If there's no pleasure in it i dont hesitate to dump it. Thats my only rule in pipe smoking .Usually theres very little baccy left in the bowl though.