Need a stem replaced

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbernater

Reaction score
I was looking around and didnt see a old post . Maybe I didnt look enough or just got impatant. But any way I have a nice Savinlle straight grain 606 KS that has no stem. Shes a beautiful large bowl and I think would be a nice smoker. I do know savinelli will replace it , but I was wondering if any one here might do such and does nice work. Kinda keep it in the brother hood type of thing. Heres a picture.
IMG122.jpg

LOL

I could do it, but I don't think it's your best value.

Guys who specialize in that stuff (including LL on this board), Floyd Norwood, Walker Briar Works, etc.. can do it faster and easier than me. One thing - are you looking to have a stem that fits 6mm Sav balsa filters too? That's important to know. Savinelli uses a pre-sized fitment for that - it would be next to impossible to make by hand.

If you don't care about the Savinelli filters, then anything's possible.

plumbernater":esktsmd8 said:
HELLOOO, hellooo, echoooo, is anybody out there. Im all alone here. :bounce:
Like Sas said, If you don't care about the filter then I think Floyd Norwood would be your best choice for the job. He's quicker then greased lightening and affordable, about $15 I think to replace the stem.

A lot will depend on whether you want an off-the-shelf cast stem with a tight draw adapted to it, or a casting modified for an improved airway or a pretty much from scratch optimised replica made.

:face:

Savinelli will replace it for $ 45 plus shipping, I would want a nice stem, good draw, I put good tires on my vehicles, why would I want junk on my pipe. Besides the straight grain savinelli is suppose to be top line. It also dosent have the filter system just a standard stem
IMG127.jpg

OK. At the risk of showing my wise-ass colors yet again : your sending it to "Savinelli" for a replacement means, in practice, you'll be sending it to their designated repair guy here and they'll be taking a cut of what they're paying him.

What he'll do is put a stock casting in the lathe, turn the tenon to fit, shape & bend it, stain/wax the sanded-over shank end, and there's your new stem.

If you liked the stem that was on it, you'll like the new one. But you'll have put $45 + postage both ways into putting one of what Marty P famously calls "hundred dollar pipes with a twenty-five cent stems" back on the road -- stock.

How long a wait sending it to LL would involve, I don't know, but he'd do you a state-of-the-art, inside and out job from near scratch of much higher quality lucite for around $80 and the difference in the way it smokes & tastes would be possibly astonishing. Or the same job your factory-authorised guy would do for equally cheap, but probably to a higher standard. (Then again, it might be a wash).

Or you could send it to Mark Tinsky who would modify (outside & inside as needed) a good cast stem for a lot less, do a beautiful job of it, and have it back in the mail to you the day after he received it. And for, if the last one he did for me was typical, enough less to notice.

It maybe sounds Clintonian, but it really does depend on what you mean by "stem." Apples, oranges and bannanas are all "fruit" the way the above are all "stems."

Trying to be helpful here.

:face:

I ended up with this bowl no stem, Im trying to find a BoB brother that would do a fine job hopefully, reasonably priced. Dont try to confuse me, just recomend who you know that will do the job . If Tinsky is the man . How do I get ahold of him.

Never mind I found the link here on the site. I still would like recomondations though. There is quite a few dealers here.

Just send it to Walker Briar Works. He will do a professional job, and not charge an arm and a leg, google it.

Smoker99":8buq6zvx said:
Just send it to Walker Briar Works. He will do a professional job, and not charge an arm and a leg, google it.
Yes, I agree. I also recommend Precision Pipe Repair, but WBW is faster. I do not recommend Mark Tinsky (sorry, Tinsky fans out there).